Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Phosphates question.

1. Back To Top    #1

Phosphates question.

Hello everyone. I have just done my first test of the year on our pool. The pool has been looking good all winter and I pretty much did nothing from about November until now except keep things clean. My test results were as follows:
    FC=0
    TC=0
    CC=0
    pH=7.6
    TA=80
    CYA=30 to 35

Local Leslies test results were comparable to mine. The only thing I have a concern about is they told me my phosphates were at 2500. I am starting my pool chemical upkeep today via bleach etc. Do I need to do something about the phosphates? Thanks in adavance, Calvin.
    15 x 26 Sharkline
    2.5 HP Dual Speed Pump
    200 Sq. Ft. cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Phosphates question.

No, don't worry about phosphates at all. There are some rather rare problems where you need to think about phosphates. As long as you don't have any of those problems you can just ignore them. My phosphate level wanders between 2,000 and 5,000 and I have never had any problems.

Some pool stores have been pushing phosphate remover for a while now as a way to make more money. It can get expensive and is usually a complete waste of time and money.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the quick reply Jason. Later, Calvin.
    15 x 26 Sharkline
    2.5 HP Dual Speed Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Calvin,

I am posting simply to affirm what Jason said. Ignore phosphates and enjoy your pool!!
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Ditto. 2000-3000 ppb phosphates in my pool and no problems because I maintain a sufficient FC for my CYA level according to this chart.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks again for all of the posts. I used the BBB method last summer and it worked great. I plan on using the BBB method for the rest of the time that I have a pool (which will probably be as long as we live in a warm climate). Thanks again for all of the support this site provides. Later, Calvin.
    15 x 26 Sharkline
    2.5 HP Dual Speed Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

I'll use this opportunity to relate a Pool Store-y.

Two years ago, before BBB, I was using tabs and going to the local store. I was having the usual algae problems even though I was following the normal regimen. At the recommendation of the store I bought some phosphate strips and phosphate remover for quite a bit of cash. After testing, my phosphate level was 600 (almost off the chart! ). I followed the instructions and went through several days of worry as my filter pressure went from 20 to 40 as the phosphate precipitated out and into my filter. I finished the cycle, backwashed and was relieved to see that my phosphates were now under 100. Of course, the algae problem persisted (I know now that it was because my CYA was almost 100). I repeated this process several times over the course of the summer in an attempt to combat the algae that would creep up occasionally. Again, at the recommendation of the store I went through Cal-Hypo, non-chlorine shock, etc.

I think I spent $150 on phosphate remover and more than that on "shock". Wow, that sure buys a LOT of bleach.

I don't even test or worry about the phosphates any more. Finding this site taught me that knowing what is in my pool and what it does makes my pool Trouble Free!
    31000 Gal IG L-shape w/ spa, Riversand finish (PebbleSheen clone)
    Jandy 60 sq ft DE, 2.5 HP (uprated) Stealth pump, Polaris 280 w/ booster, Jandy PDA PS4 controller