Need help.

Jun 16, 2015
Randleman,NC
Last week drained pool and refilled with well water. Don't have my own test kit so I took my water sample to my local pool place. They use a biolab ALEX tester. My readings are as follows: Saturation index: -1.8; Tot. Chlorine 0.2, Free chlorine 0; PH <6.2; Tot. Alkalinity 94; Adj. total Alk. 94; Tot. Hardness 75; CYA was not tested. I read from your site that after filling with well water, let set a couple of days if the water is cloudy, which I did. I can see the bottom of the pool, but the water 's not clear, it is a pretty shade of blue tho. I'm wondering what you recommend to clear the water up?:stirpot:

Because you filled from a well, you can assume you have metals in the water. You should make sure you read this page Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains. The sequestrant will help. But you have another problem brewing .... no chlorine (FC). You won't be able to get a good handle on any of this until you get your own test kit. The stores and their testing will just roll all over you and your water will look no different.

Please see this site for the TF-100 test kit: TFTestkits.net. That needs to be priority #1
- Next, follow the directions on the sequestrant you use to help manage metals in your water. There may be a specific order to follow for best results.
- Then, refer to the Pool School - Recommended Levels to adjust your chemicals as follows:
1. Add stabilizer to get CYA to 30 ppm (use the sock method near a return jet)
2. Adjust PH to the mid 7s
2. Add regular liquid bleach to increase your FC level to 2-3 ppm until your kit arrives.

At this point, without your own test kit and metals in the water, it's hard to tell if the cloudiness is from metals or algae. So while you are waiting on the proper test kit, you could apply the sequestrant and let it work, then begin the items above. If the water remains cloudy, we'll guide you through a more aggressive "SLAM" Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain to eliminate any algae that may be in your water.

If you have any more questions, please let us know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.