Help - Need to Slam, want to make sure I understand everything

pic came through fine. looks quite like mine from that vantage. that plug uses a big flat screwdriver to open it. it's threaded like a drain plug on a filter. You could try unscrewing it, just remember what happened to me. Have you posted a pic of your equipment area?

Oh, I get 0 to 0.5 CC every time I've tested lately. I seemed to lose 2 FC this morning from last night, but I wasn't up while it was still dark, so that may possibly be sunlight still. Need to test my CYA soon and hopefully that'll register a result. I think I'm more onto figuring out my daily intake and maintenance soon. Pool is super clear, just have to vacuum since my cleaner's not being too friendly right now (I have a thread in the pool cleaner forum about that, may have to replace it).

Tried testing my CYA last night and the water still doesn't seem cloudy at all. I'm testing at 6:30ish at night, so there's not a ton of sun outside, but even inside it doesn't seem cloudy.

I was using the HTH (I think) white bottle with purple lid of Stabilizer....I've got like 1/3-1/4 of it left, so I've tried using a bit....

Should I try getting some other brand or version?

Yesterday I was 13ish FC at 7:20 and ended up at 3 at 6:30, so I lose a good amount daily to sun (not much overnight, seems like zero, i just haven't gotten up before sunrise to accurately OCLT yet) I have 0 CC, so don't think I have a lot of organics using chlorine anymore.

I'd like to get the chlorine use down during the day so I'm not having to put in as much to make it through the day, you know? Anything I'm doing wrong? The CYA test perplexes me.

Definitely need CYA in the "Valley of the Sun". I didn't go back through your thread to see when you added the last batch of stabilizer, but if it's been more than a week and you're still showing low (black dot not disappearing soon enough), then you need to increase per the Poolmath calculator . As for the HTH brand, you got the right stuff (purple lid). I just got some from HD today. It's 96% CYA. The last bottle I bought of HTH early in the summer didn't seem to work all that well. I never had that happen before, but I've heard some chatter on the forum that others had similar problems. Still, you have to be careful and test for yourself to make sure. I'm going to try this new bottle of HTH today and see (in a week) if it holds any better.

Definitely need CYA in the "Valley of the Sun". I didn't go back through your thread to see when you added the last batch of stabilizer, but if it's been more than a week and you're still showing low (black dot not disappearing soon enough), then you need to increase per the Poolmath calculator . As for the HTH brand, you got the right stuff (purple lid). I just got some from HD today. It's 96% CYA. The last bottle I bought of HTH early in the summer didn't seem to work all that well. I never had that happen before, but I've heard some chatter on the forum that others had similar problems. Still, you have to be careful and test for yourself to make sure. I'm going to try this new bottle of HTH today and see (in a week) if it holds any better.

Thanks for the info! Maybe I got a bad batch, I've added 2 batches over the past 3 weeks and neither has seemed to register in a test. I may look and try to find some CYA stabilizer somewhere else.

I did 2 batches where I added the amount I should need for 20 CYA each time, so even if it's not great I should be getting some registering on the test. Maybe go to some new store and get a different bottle...Or are there other brands of stabilizer?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a thing of pucks that I'll no longer be using, but could I actually put some in a sock and use that to help chlorinate as well, just to add CYA? I'd have to look at the box to see how much each puck would add (standard 3" puck from Costco) but might be a "free" way for me to get some CYA in there, right?

The best way to do that is to use the Poolmath calculator . Go to the bottom where it says, "Effects of Adding Chemicals". Just enter the parameters of what you have or are thinking of using, and you'll see the effects. Make sure you know what type of pucks you have (tri-chlor, di-chlor, etc).

The best way to do that is to use the Poolmath calculator . Go to the bottom where it says, "Effects of Adding Chemicals". Just enter the parameters of what you have or are thinking of using, and you'll see the effects. Make sure you know what type of pucks you have (tri-chlor, di-chlor, etc).

Yeah, just have to look at the numbers/percentages for my pucks to see. Can easily put 3 in a sock in front of the skimmer and that'd be the same as powder along with giving me a break on the liquid chlorine for a bit.

No pH concern if in front of return. My concern was due to the local effect of the puck going directly into and around the housing. By having it in front of the return it will get better dispersed so not as worrisome.

Now just have to consider the rise in CYA.

The chlorine in the puck may case the sock to "rot" as it can be corrosive. Just get a cheap floater and put them in that if you use them. I have one just for weekend trips.

Kim

I have a floater too so i'll check that....we had a monsoon last night so just threw chlorine in and that was it, but my overnight loss is like 0, so while I'll do more testing I think I'm good. I'll just have to keep attention on the pool and want to figure out CYA....as long as I watch the water I should notice things before they get bad and a quick slam can fix it.

I have a floater too so i'll check that....we had a monsoon last night so just threw chlorine in and that was it, but my overnight loss is like 0, so while I'll do more testing I think I'm good. I'll just have to keep attention on the pool and want to figure out CYA....as long as I watch the water I should notice things before they get bad and a quick slam can fix it.

no more SLAMS :) just keep your FC above the minimum for your CYA and don't let algae ever get started! congrats!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.