Nov 2, 2013
Lancaster, PA
I have a 28K gal vinyl pool

FC = 2.5
pH = 7.6
TA = 80
CYA = 55

Temp = 78 deg. F

There is green algae in the pool. Please see the pics.

Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I brushed it away but it came back, I had FC up around 9 but the algae keeps coming back (FC is low now... I'll have to add more chlorine) Should I shock it with 30 FC and brush it? Should I stop the filter while I'm shocking? What if some of the algae got in the sand filter because I ran the vacuum and sucked up some of the algae? But I did backwash the sand filter.

Please let me know what I should do next.

Thanks,

It is time to Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain your pool to kill your algae. If you want to swim while you are SLAMing just keep your FC a little below shock level and swim. We swam every day for a week and half while slaming earlier this summer, our cya was 70 and FC was 25-28. If your water is clear it shouldn't take too long, maybe a week.

What if some of the algae got in the sand filter because I ran the vacuum and sucked up some of the algae? ,

well, that's kinda the point of the filter :)

yes, you want to filter out the alive/dead algae. the water flowing thru the filter will kill the algae, no worries there.

next step as mentioned is the SLAM. do you have one of the recommended test kits? you will need it.

Thanks guys... I have FAS-DPD Chlorine test kit... that's the one I used to take all the tests. I got some DE and Chlorine. I guess I'll add some DE to the skimmer, then vacuum up the algae, then add chlorine... then brush the entire pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.