Help me with Bids!--Austin,TX

Re: My First Bid--Austin,TX!

Everything you said about the bulk volume builder rings true. I know that's the case.

Why do I want two skimmers? No one has put 2 so far. I have two more bids to post here :)

From what I understand is you want one on two ends of the pool to catch leaves, etc... depending on what direction the wind is blowing. Having two helps keep your pool cleaner. Your pool quotes are pretty small so maybe they only put one under a certain sq footage.

It seems like the quotes are all over the map. Also please make sure you check Angies list if you can too on what builders you are looking at. One in particular does cheap pools but has a really bad rating. I also gave you my builder and I don't know where he is in your range. The more and more I meet with them the more I respect them. Today I was meeting with the head of sales and he was really helpful with my materials issue I am going through right now. All the pool builders are slammed right now. The Austin market is nuts right now and all of them are in over their heads except for the ones that won't take any business in our price range. Just the way it is I guess.

Yes your builder gave me bid #3! I think they're good and I like the design he drew out a lot but it's probably over our budget...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I loved their design. And to be honest of the three bids I got they were in the middle. I bet based on your quote they have raised their prices. I started at 63k but my pool has retaining walls, full sod replacement, full sprinkler repair, 470 sq ft (before I made it bigger), retaining walls, paver deck instead of concrete, etc... The most expensive builder was at 65k and didn't include pebble or salt.

I think it is a supply and demand thing. Everyone is having trouble keeping up so they are raising prices. Just like the home builders...

I'm thinking if we waited would they give us better prices? We don't want to start til fall really...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it probably depends on how the sales are going if you wait until fall. Honestly with the way they are going right now I would guess that if you signed now it would probably be close to fall by the time you got permits and stuff. Keep in mind we signed 3/6 of this year and still aren't done. Just to put it in perspective. Another person on this thread had his pool fly by and signed a month after me and is done now. He doesn't have all the retaining walls and other complicated bits like I do. My design put the construction manager into fits.

Everyone has there opinion and here is mine. I work on hundreds of pools every year. I like the Jandy system. Polaris 280 is a good cleaner. Fusion soft with nature 2-- easy to clean and cheaper to replace salt cells. VS pumps- mine uses 60 watts to run in normal mode, huge savings. Jandy LED lights worth it. PDA system for automation so you can have a hand held to operate pool. If you use the right builder you get a 3 year warranty. Spend it on the front end and save in the long run.

OK Now I'm getting annoyed. WHY won't anyone respond back within a timely manner to my emails or even just send a quote when they say they will? Are they too busy? Is my plan too petty for their precious pool building time? I understand the thing about some people just not bothering to follow up (I mean the people that never followed up we weren't really interested in anyway) but now I have these two bids and I'm waiting on others so I can compare. Really annoying.

How long has it been? From our bid experience some of the designs/proposals received the fastest had the least thought put into them. I know it can be frustrating but you also do not want them to miss something hastily and it become a problem later on. Believe me this is just the first of the waiting and being exciting and anxious :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How long has it been? From our bid experience some of the designs/proposals received the fastest had the least thought put into them. I know it can be frustrating but you also do not want them to miss something hastily and it become a problem later on. Believe me this is just the first of the waiting and being exciting and anxious :)

You're probably right, but then why do they say "I'll send it in a day or two" and then wait a week and still nothing? Just figure they forgot about it or its on the bottom of their list of priorities...Yes I am just anxious because I want a pool! BUT I want a good design and price. I work from home and all this really interrupts my work flow :)

I know what you mean. We did have a few that said they would send by x date and they didn't and we then sent a gentle reminder that it had been so long and we had not received their proposal and if they wanted to be considered please submit their proposal by x date. We did have circumstances where we were out of town so the PB's said they thought they would have longer to respond, email still works when out of town :)

Unfortunately, it isn't just with PB's either. Makes you discouraged to want to spend your money!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.