Heading out for a bit-protecting the pool?

eqbob

Jul 25, 2012
Central Texas
Leaving for a cruise Saturday. All systems nominal in the pool. Plenty of chlorine, plenty of CYA, reasonable acid demand. I will drop the pH before I leave. We will be gone for 8 days. All the run times and everything are automatic and in the contro panel.

Anything else I should consider doing before leaving?

If you leave the pool uncovered, you'll lose some water to evaporation. Top it off as much as you can to keep it from dropping below your skimmer level. Our better yet, cover it.

Can't bring it up too much unless I duct tape over the overflow drain. But the autofill generally keeps it at a fairly constant level. I've only had to add water once this summer and that was after we finally stopped getting rains and started getting heat.

- - - Updated - - -

My concern was more the pH level and how high it might get during the time away.

So came back and and TA hadn't risen as much as I thought it would. pH rise is harder to measure in a quantitative amount but it did take 4 drops to bring it back down to normal range as opposed to the regular 1 or 2 drops. Have been bringing TA down via lowering pH and aeration cycles. Chlorine had gone down significantly as the heat really poured in while gone and I had (stupidly) lowered the SWG percentage right before leaving. Don't know what I was thinking. It was not below minimum levels when I tested both the first night back after pool had shut off and first thing inext morning when it hadn't run yet. And no overnight loss. With bleach, I slapped it up to about 14 for a couple of days just to be a little safer and upped the SWG percentage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.