How do I install a drain safety cover

May 23, 2009
I have an old Anthony Sylvan inground plaster pool with a 5 1/2" main drain opening. The drain cover is seated on a lip on the drain opening and there are some tabs on the underside of the drain cover that hold it in place through friction. There aren't any screw holes.

How can I install a safety drain cover that needs to be screwed down? I would like to find a solution that doesn't require draining the entire pool. Is there some sort of epoxy that I can use to attach the base of the safety drain to the pool floor?

This is the drain cover that I bought. Paramount SDX High Flow Safety Drain Cover - Universal Retro Version - 004-192-2214-01 - www.instockpoolsupply.com

Thanks.

If I understand your question, you might consider using a quality silicone caulk to bond the safety cover to the drain cover. For example, remove the current cover, put a healthy, large bead of the caulking around the entire edge of the drain cover where the safety cover will be located, and place the safety cover over the current. Be sure to allow the silicone to harden before replacing the two - e.g., as one bonded unit.

Just a thought. Hope this helps.

I could bond the safety cover to the existing drain cover but I would like to have a way to secure it down. Worst case, I could probably get a diver to drill some holes and epoxy some screw sleeves in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.