what to do?

Jul 4, 2015
lady lake fl
After a long build the dimond brite was installed Thursday and the pool filled over night. Friday morning (8am) the pool was filled and I turned off the hose and went to work. I thought the pool PB would be there that day to start the pumps and get everything working. I got home after work no PB, the pump off, no brush just a pool full of water sitting there. I called the pool builder and got no answer I sent my wife to the pool store to buy a brush and I worked on getting power to the pump.
I got the pump running and brushed the pool. Then I got a email from the PB saying they would be there Sat to start the pool. When they got here at 3pm Sat I asked why did they did not show up Friday to start the pool like the plaster guy said. The PB told me it does not mater when they turn on the pump. Then he hooked up the Great White pool cleaner droped it in the water, dumped 4 gals of acid in the pool, cleaned the filter and left.

Is the dimond brite going to be messed up or am I just reading to much about pools and how to start them?

It's unfortunate you are having issues with your PB. It sounds like they are doing an acid start up. I have a some friends just finishing up a build and the builder takes care of chemistry for the first 30 days. Since the PB is responsible for guaranteeing the finish I told them to just let them handle it...even though they have a recommended test kit in hand and are ready to NOT go to the pool store :D. If something goes wrong, they can't be blamed for adding or doing something to the pool they weren't supposed to.

Ultimately, I guess it depends on what the builder is responsible for and what you are responsible for. If they are a day late or they don't turn on the pump, well, that's on them if that's what the contract says.

By they way, Diamond Brite has pretty typical start up procedures. Have you seen this:

http://www.sgm.cc/pdf/InfoSheets/Diamond_Brite_web.pdf

Well its been a week PB still has not come back. The contract says they do start up and a few weeks of testing and balancing. I tested today with my tf-100
ph 8.2+
tc 2.4
fc 1.5ppm
cc 0
ch 300ppm
ta 50
cya 0
I guess I have to try to get this pool balanced on my own, before my plaster is destroyed. There are 3 pucks in the skimmer and I am going to buy acid tomorrow. Anything else I should put in?

Definitely keep good notes on everything that has (or has not) happened. You may need those later if there's a problem with the warranty. In the meantime, have you seen this TFP page: Pool School - Start-up New Plaster This page will help get you started on the very basics. Keep in touch!

Ghesh... This is terrible that the builder has not come by and at least checked on the pool. Like previously posted, keep detailed notes on what the test results are, what you've added and when the pool builder has been out there! They should care more about their products than letting that pool set with a brand New owner who has never dealt with a new pool. Don't take that the wrong way. Its not meant to slight you at all. Brush your pool every day, a couple times a day. Good luck n keep us posted.

You'll be fine. You found this site early on so you are ahead of the curve. Does the PB still need to finish anything or provide any other equipment? If not....then I guess it's time to get to balancing that water. You need to hold off on adding salt and firing up the SWG for a month or so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.