New member from Kentucky. Tks for letting me join your awesome group.

Yes CJ, and already mentioned ... bump-up the FC as you need to so you have more time to rest. Your health and comfort are certainly more important. Just a thought .... do you have anyone you know fairly well who can assist you with adding bleach, scrubbing, skimming, etc? Throw the neighborhood kid a candy bar or something. ha. Once you go-in for that operation #35, it may help to have someone trained (now) to do what you want (the way you want it) in case you are on bed-rest for a while. Just a thought.

By the way .. good thinking on the pantyhose - regardless of the size. :) Rest well today and let us know if we can answer any more questions. That's why everyone is hanging-out on the forum anyways - to help. Get better, and God bless. V/r ~ Pat

Thank you Texas. I generally bounce back fairly well after surgery, but who knows this time around because my entire body is literally falling apart, plus I'm getting old. Yes there are plenty of friends who will help. LOL I might have to recruit them before surgery if my feet don't go down soon. I have a Lady Bug that does my pool vacuuming for me (I lucked out and found 2 Lady Bugs w all the hoses at a yard sale for $5.00).

I checked my level at 9:30 and it was FC-12, so it's holding a lot better. I bumped it up to 17, and will recheck it in about 3 hours. I'm probably going to have to add water again because I've emptied so much backwashing and rinsing the filter so I'm sure that will lower things down some too. I also loose what seems like a lot of water daily. There's nothing wet around so I'm hoping just that much is evaporating and I don't have a hidden leak somewhere cause that would be really bad. Anyway thank you again for everything I'm going to lay down and prop my feet up on some pillows for awhile.

!2:30Pm (3 hours since raise to 17 and last check). The floating algae had settled to the bottom/center of pool when I initially went out there. The pool was brushed again slowly pushing anything that might be lurking below all towards the center of the pool. During the brushing, a darker area was seen rising some in the center of the pool, not sure if it had been pushed there, or was circulated there by the pump beforehand, or both. The center of the pool was then vacuumed to waste. The vacuuming was able to removed about a 5 gallon bucket full of white frothy algae yuck.

I suspect that is what has been using up my FC, but that much more algae is now out of there. Whoo hooo. We are getting closer to time to :swim:

I then let the pool circulate for a bit before checking the FC level because I had stirred up a lot of floating algae again, and wanted to give things a chance to settle down some before checking. (I don't know if I needed to wait before doing a check, or not or if the FC check should have done before doing the brushing, and the vacuuming? (Please let me know if there is a particular order of when to do a level check when the brushing, and vacuuming is also occurring.

I then did the check ( Reminder: It had been 3 hours since the last check, and a bump to 17 at that time).
FC-9.5- I added 1 gal and 2 cups of 10% liquid shock,
I did check a CC just to see if it was coming down from the previous checks, and it was 1.5 (I think down from 4 the last time it was checked, so it's having a harder time finding things to attach too, so we are slowly moving forward).

Thank you to everyone for your help, and your kindness. Have A Wonderful Day!!!

Sorry I forgot to tell you that I am now again having to add water to the pool because of the vacuum to waste. I think I'm going to fill it up higher than usual this time because vacuuming, backwashing, etc. sure pull the water level down quick. I'm curious to see what the next FC is with all the new water added?

Hello there! I just wanted to throw you a Ky. Girl shout-out for the great work! Im in central Ky., but you have had similar REALLY HOT weather, which makes what you are doing even harder, (algae loves sun and warmth) but you have made awesome progress and it will get SO much easier I promise you. You are nearly there! You can do it! I know that bc. I was in a similar spot and almost bulldozed in my 38,000 gal underground pool in frustration, until I found this awesome site and helpful group. They are telling you good info, follow to the letter and ask ANY question, even if it seems obvious or dumb. We dont judge here we support each other.

Your pool will become a welcome oasis soon, Hang in there!
-a fellow Bluegrass state-er

CK I always just use the quick reply. If I happen to think of something else and no one else has posted on the thread it will add it to the bottom of my last post and label it as an update.

CK You got 2!!!!! Labybug cleaners for $5.00?????????? NO WAY! Lucky!

You sound a lot like me----------BUT WHY?????????? How does it work? Why did that work like that? What did you just do? My poor husband has learned to talk while he is doing something so I can follow along.

HUGS! Put your poor feet up and let the bleach do it's work! If all you can do is test and add 4 times a day that will work!

Kim

It keeps removing letters when I'm typing and I just lost my entire post trying to restore auto-saved content. Anyway lets start this again UGGGG lol. Pogueld thank you for you continued encouragement.

Vanessa It's nice to meet you. I hope to see ya around. I understand about the bulldozer. I'm already a fan of the people here and this site and have only been here a couple days.

Texas Thank you, and Yes sir, propping my feet back up is exactly what I'm going to do for the next 3 hours.

Kim Yes, 2 Ladybugs for $5 (lol Goooo Me). I did my homework, but haven't visited the link yet, but I'm really ticked over the Ph stabilizer ingredients. It is Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate. (LOL Baking Soda a .49 cent box of Baking Soda for like a gazillion dollars). Is that what you thought it would be? The other one just marked Stabilizer is Cyanuric Acid. Lucky for me that I had some money left over from my Ladybug deal or that expensive Baking Soda would have put me in the "poorer" house.

FC at 3:30 Pm was FC-10.5, Added 10% LS up to SLAM Level. CC checked because I'm curious, nosy, or lol whatever. CC-1.5
FC at 6:30pm was FC-13.5 Added 10% LS up to SLAM level. CC-still at 1.5
You all have a wonderful night, and thank you all for everything. Swollen Feet are heading Up, just like my Free Chlorine level. But I'm still upset over the Baking soda, nothing but very expensive Baking Soda, lol stupid, stupid, stupid, just smh. Oh well, live and learn, I suppose.
Good Nite everyone, I'll catch you all tomorrow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey guys! We have a smart one here! I think he is going to fit right in around here!

Yeah that is what I thought it would be :( Live and learn. Do NOT buy anything from the pool store unless you KNOW just what it is and you cannot get it cheaper anywhere else or it is just more convenient for you.

See why I want you to ask any and all questions? We LOVE to teach and it is even better when someone learns as fast you do!

Get a good nights sleep and give the legs/feet a rest.

Kim

Pogueld, Thank you for the compliment. I'm not certain I'll ever be an "Expert" on pool supplies, but I'm willing to learn as much as I can about it, and I have some might awesome teachers helping me along the way.

Yelp Kim, I think I'm going to hang out with all the "Cool Kids/Pool Kids" here at TFP, and try to learn all I can along the way.

Ok this is going to be my last post of the night, but I was too excited about the numbers to wait to post them in the morning.
I went ahead, and did my last FC for tonight at 8:30pm, instead of 9:30pm, before it got completely dark outside.
My FC-17 (GOAL hit, whooo hoo!! (So as they say on ER, No Shock Advised).

My CC-is now 1, instead of 1.5, so I suppose I actually took the SLAM level up to 18 ppm, instead of the planned 17, but still that's not too shabby for a 1st timer who does actually eyeball the odd amounts, instead of using a measuring cup (oops, lol did I write that. I forgot to mention that part before, didn't I?)- (My ability to accurately eyeball most any given amount was learned very well from being a nurse, nursing instructor, nursing supervisor, and DON for many, many, years before my injury, so I felt very comfortable doing it that way). So, if anyone has any medical questions, perhaps, I can help you out, and return some of the favors.

So anyway, I am super excited, and at that level, won't no Mustard, or no Ketchup lol be growing in there tonight. Now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the FC will hold overnight, and the cloudiness start to decrease where I can see the bottom of the pool, so anything that is still lurking around down there, can be removed. Hoping to see a stable FC at 17 in the morning, and a CC of .5 or lower. I see some much better days coming my way very soon, I hope. Hopefully, I will have a float in the pool, relaxing and getting some much needed R&R in the near future.

Kim, LOL aka Miss Smarty pants, of course you knew what was in that expensive container. Actually I bought that stuff at WM, not the pool store but both sell things that aren't needed, and aren't good for your pool. At the time I bought it, which was about a week ago, (just a couple days before joining TFP). I literally had No idea what ingredients were in any of the packages. I had no idea how to balance my pool water, never even used a checker, etc., I always just played hit and miss, followed others advice without figuring out the details for myself, and I had no clue on whether the water would be clear, free of algae, or even if the levels I was climbing into were safe to swim in because I'd never owned a pool before, and had never been taught otherwise.

I'd go online to try to figure things out for myself, and this site would say this, and that site would say Never do That lol they'd say the total opposite, and the pool store or WM employees, would throw in their inaccurate suggestions, (by the way I have Never taken a water sample to the pool store to have levels checked on it, Never but sadly I didn't check them myself either because it felt like a losing battle).

By the time it was all said, and done, I was left totally confused, beyond frustrated that the things I was being told to buy and use weren't doing what they told me to buy them for. I had a Broken Spirit (lol along with a broken body), an empty pocketbook, tons of unnecessary overpriced chemicals, yet I still had a Green, or Cloudy Pool that I wasn't able to safely swim in.

So I finally said, this is ridiculous, it's just not worth it. I'm disabled, I'm not physically well at all, and am not able to do, nor afford, what the 10 online sites, the pool stores, etc. are saying I need to be doing. Seriously, who wants a pool that costs you a fortune, takes up hours of your time, causes you tons of pain just trying to be able to swim 1 time during the Summer. So after 2 years of that craziness, I covered the pool up, unhooked the lines, drained the water out of the filter, and there it sat for 3 more years. The pool cover shredded during the 1st Winter, so most of it was fished out, and thrown away. I didn't even bother to try to cover it up again because I was Sick, and I was Tired, and I was soooo sick, and tired by that point. I did Not care what happened to that nasty green pool because it did nothing but caused me nothing but tons of additional physical and emotional pain, and a huge financial strain on my limited income.

(Like I said in an earlier post, up until I joined TFP, I literally thought all shock had the exact same ingredients in the bag, but were just sold by different companies). I never bothered to look at the ingredients on the bag (I know that probably horrible considering my previous profession but I can Balance your Fluid and Electrolytes Vitamins, and Mineral, etc. why because some one who knew what they were talking about taught me and when applied, the methods worked, and did what they are suppose to do when x is mixed with y, etc.

I'm finding out that the BBB method taught on this site does exactly that. So listen to these folks on here because they know what they are talking about.

If someone says you need to Shock your pool with 2 bags of shock, and you have No clue there are different kinds that will do different things in your pool, then you go, and pick up 2 of the 60 different brands that says Shock on it, right?

I didn't know what certain chemicals were suppose to do, or not do, how high or low a certain level will go with X amount of something added to the water etc. So at least now I have a lot better understanding of pool chemicals, levels, etc. I still have a long way to go, but myself and my pool are both a lot better off than we were a week ago. So, Kim, I'm thrilled that you, and the other's here on TFP love to teach because I love to learn, and it's so much easier to do that when the information is explained well, and is accurate.

Here's something that will make you all here at TFP happy, I'm sure. I've decided that the 3 unopened boxes of trichlor, the 3 packs of dichlor, the 2 unopened Gallons of Algaecide, and the 3 unopened bottles of Clarifier that I purchased a week ago, and was concerned about getting to use it, will ALL be getting returned to WM. I will NOT be using any of those products again.

So see, You all, (my teachers), should be very proud of yourselves because I wouldn't have been able to progress as far as I have without all your excellent suggestions, your knowledge, and your support. Yelp, pat yourselves on the back, you've All done it, you've officially converted this Newbie Algae Warrior to your sworn by, no fail if done correctly, BBB method. I think BBB today actually stands for Bright Beautiful Beginnings. So again, I thank you all very much. I hope you ALL have a Wonderful Night!!

Thank You Pogueld, I need all the cheering on I can get. :rockon:

Thank you for the info April. I see you are a Kentuckian too. :) What part of Ky. are you from, if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you Texas. The water this morning is a little clearer, but there is still a lot of greasy algae yuck floating just below the surface, but that might be from being stirred up from brushing the walls, and bottom? Leaf raking revealed no significant debris from the bottom of the pool this morning. Your advice seems to be working :super: thank you so much.

The FC level held a little better last night, and was FC-5.5 at 6AM (so I added 10% Liquid shock to bring it back up to Slam level). I will recheck FC levels again shortly, and list the results.

How do you add in an update to a post? I've tried to add the results into the previous post by using the edit option, but for some reason it will Not save the edit info that I put in (I don't know if I have to have a certain number of posts before I can edit it, or not. I know I have to have a certain number of posts before I am allowed to edit or update any info in my signature, so I thought maybe the edit/update in the posts were possibly under the same rules? So anyway that's why I've had to do new replies because I end up having to remove what I put in and cancle out the edit because it refuses to save it. Thank you all for your help, and support.

I'm from good old Morehead CJ. :cool:

LOVE this post from you! I can hear your relief in your voice. WOW!

Nope I did not really know what was in it. I just knew what I THOUGHT would be in it due to it's name. It is all about marketing that is for sure! Notice it does NOT say "baking powder". They use the "big" name LOL. TRICKY!

For when you are laid up from the surgery you might want some pucks to float in your pool (gasp! LOL). They are okay to use so long as you KNOW what they add to your pool and your adjust your water as needed. Now if you have someone that can/will add bleach for you then you are good to go.

I am going to link to my go to spot when I am looking for links to help people. There is so much info that it gets overwhelming for sure. This will help you find what you want fast!

Pool School - Pool School Index

Have fun reading!!!

Kim

I'm kind of in a Pickle right now, and need to pick some of my brilliant TFP buddy's brains for suggestions, please. I'll post details and questions at the end of this post.
Thank you Pogueld. lol I have my moments. :laughblue:

April it looks like we are <250 miles apart. There is another Ky gal, vanessadickson from Eastern, Ky., commenting on my posts too. LOL I don't know if 3 of us Gals from Ky. on the same post is really legal or not, but I'm willing to take my chances.

kim thank you for the link I look forward to checking out all that info.

TODAY'S LEVEL CHECKS

6 Am FC-14, CC-1 (added 10% liquid shock back up to my elevated Slam Level of 17 with every 3 hour checks, brushed pool too, no noted algae floating on top like it was yesterday).

9AM-FC-14, CC-1.5 (Added 10% LS back up to SLAM, pool brushed again)

(Because it's taking so many drops each check to see a color change, especially at my higher than usual SLAM level, the reagents are going quick.
I noticed my FAS/DPD R-0871 reagent was getting low (which I knew was being used up at a rapid rate.). I probably only HAD about 1 more check left in it. I ordered that particular reagent, and some other things, on Saturday, but of course, they've not arrived yet. I went to every Pool Store in Town, and Nobody carries Taylor Supplies , I thought NOOOO, not at this critical stage of the Slam LOL.)

12 Noon check- FC-17 CC-0.5 (Whooo hoo!! no LS needed). SLAM Held for 3 hours, and .5 on the CC, but, sadly, so long to the rest of my R-0871 Reagent.

Here's what I did because I knew the end of the reagent was near. On my last check, which luckily happened to be almost perfectly accurate.

I took an OTO tester kit that only reads up to 5ppm (that I just bought today with this lol master plan in mind), and also took a Smart Strip that shows up to 10ppm, and ran both of those tests at the Accurate Slam level, so I'd have the colors to compare them too on the next checks, until my reagent arrives.

LOL Do you all think that will work? I know I can't accurately predict how much LS to add should my SLAM level stop holding, but my hands were tied, and I felt this IMO was the smartest option I had to continue on with this process that will hopefully soon be ending. At least now, I have a color comparison of 2 different tests to tell me if I'm within that range.

Anyway, does anyone have any other suggestions on what I can do to get a more exact FC level? Also any suggestions on how not to have to use so much reagent for testing. I know once I start letting my FC numbers come back down it will be much better but for now, not so much. Hopefully, my reagent will arrive tomorrow, and my levels will hold, but only time will tell. Thank you all. LOL Any suggestions on how to get me back out of this pickle that I've gotten myself into are appreciated. Have a Wonderful Day!!

Hi CJ. If it were me personally, I wouldn't waste my time trying to mix & match the OTO and strips to come-up with a total FC. Now that you've been so diligent with your FC additions, you can sort of see a pattern (i.e. added 1 Gal of 10% every 3 hours). That's just an example. So I would just stick to that. At the very worse, if your FC started to hold better, you might have a slightly higher FC level by the time your kit (R-0871 refill) arrives, but it's better than being too low. So I would stay with the routine and pattern you've had the past 24 hours or so of adding the same amount of bleach. That's just me. :) Let's see what the other folks have to say.

That sound good Texas I will do just that. Also, today is slightly overcast, and is suppose to be the same tomorrow which will help it hold better too. It rained here a little last night, and there's a 60% chance of rain/storms for the next 2 days too. It really needs a good vacuum to waste done before the rain hits to try to remove any other algae lurkers. Of course that will mean more water will have to be added to compensate for the wasted amount. When I have to add LS over the past few days it has been about 3 quarts-3quarts, 2 cups.. Do you think by adding 1 full gallon after the vacuum to waste, water refill, rain etc. will be enough to compensate it back to SLAM, or should I add slightly more than that under the circumstances? Thank you for your help.

I guess it would depend upon how long you vacuum to waste. But at the very least, 1 gallon won't hurt anything based on your pool size and the condition of your water. The bleach will get put to work quickly. After that, just stick with your routine until the refills arrive and you should be fine. Don't forget to rest your feet! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support