Time, energy and money wasted

Status
Not open for further replies.
In your exposure to the site, it may appear to be just about the test kit, but in reality it is much more than that. I found this site, researching pool builders - what to look for in a builder, etc. When I finally decided to go for it, an electrical question came up. And you know what, several people with experience walked me right through what to do. Heck, if I wanted to build a rocket ship, I might throw out the question here because there might be one person loyal to the cult that knows how to do it. And they are probably willingly to help because some person they will probably never meet helped him get sparkling clear pool.

Whether your cya is 80 or 160, you are going to have to drain. Kudos to you for researching and coming to that realization.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SMH....

I too thought the hard push for the TFT kit was a tad suspect. Bought the k2006 instead (Amazon). Followed the advice and Poolmath numbers, pool school and forum suggestions. Pools is just short of a year old. NEVER an algea bloom, NEVER a smell of chloromines. Crystal clear and sparkly every day. TFP works. Go ahead, drink the kool-aid; you won't be disappointed.

I am a skeptical person. You tell me something and I dont believe you until I research and research.
I am still trying to figure out if this entire forum is a marketing ploy.
You all sound like a commercial for this test kit. I am not trying to be offensive but you all really do sound like a cult.
I have several different people telling me several different things. I am not one to just do something because someone says so, I need to know why I am being told to do it. And still I will research and decide if its the best thing to do.
I do have a game plane but I fear to disclose it because I am confident I will receive negative comments.
So just let me do my thing and if it doesnt work I will come back and seek your advice.

So, go to another forum. Oh wait, this is the most active pool forum around. Do you have any idea how many test kits/strips exist for testing water? How can the people here offer help if any test kit is good. Do you have any idea how many pools would be worse after a visit to this forum? For example: What John said was brown and 4ppm was actually green and 14ppm. Yeah that would elicit very different guidance. Can you take your car to any dealership for repairs? "No because they specialize. If you use the recommended test kit, everyone is talking the same language. There is being skeptical and that is fine but I find the tone of this post a bit offensive. People who want to "do their own thing" do not ask for help on a pool forum. You clearly did no research before posting on this forum so I wish you the best with your upcoming research. I want to apologize for my tone but alas, I cannot. Good day!

- - - Updated - - -

:laughblue:
I am laughing hysterically!!
Cult!?!?! Lol

I want to laugh but for the first time since I joined this forum, I am actually angry.

Lol. F3justusc, might you be angry because you let the cat out of the bag that a secret society exist within our cult? Now Dave must hunt all of you down and cancel your membership. And you will have to find a new addiction

Ha!
I really appreciate your response. It made me feel better.
I have been a pool owner for nine years.
But I have only been taking care of the pool since Monday. But I have learned quite a bit in these few days.
I wasn't aware of the time frame to clear a pool because this is my first time clearing a pool. I didnt know what to expect.
Thats why I joined this forum.
Dont get me wrong a handful of people on ny thread have been helpful and reassuring but the majority sound like a cult. They sound like used car salesman. And in my opinion, some of the comments are just nasty all because I am skeptical about a product.
It isn't right.

Lol. F3justusc, might you be angry because you let the cat out of the bag that a secret society exist within our cult? Now Dave must hunt all of you down and cancel your membership. And you will have to find a new addiction

Now, I am laughing. I knew that reveal could not end well but, I had to go there. Just taking one for the team or cult or whatever...

You know, I don't disagree with her. This place does sound like a cult in this thread and in some others... buy this kit... post your info in your sig... post pictures... buy what we tell you and do what we tell you.

I am skeptical also by nature and research everything I do or buy to an obsessive level. I want the best deal and the best product. It is who I am and my wife would be happy to point that trait out to you within 15 minutes of meeting us.

Themamacurd, I got a pool (our first) with our new house less than 3 weeks ago. I had 2 kids, a wife, and myself all wanting to swim on move in day... being the 3rd day from closing. I went to the pool store (leslie's) 3 days in a row with water samples and a mind to turn our green pool blue with no consideration of cost. Previous owners let it go for a month, I was sure money could solve the problem and the pool store would help me get there if I just paid them whatever was asked of me. In those 3 days I spent $250 (really 300 if you include dolphin filter bag, but that was because I didn't realize the dirty underwear looking thing hanging on the fence was for that purpose). In those same 3 days I went from nasty green pool to still very green pool. Their chemical cocktail did something as it was better but I didn't see how I could afford a blue pool at this rate. I think now that this was the real cult.

I found this forum. I started by reading threads from start to finish. Some were REALLY long. I found almost all the posts were helpful and had almost identical discussions on how to treat the pools that were green. I saw every thread discuss buying a kit and it seemed a little overboard but I also noticed the kit that was promoted tested for levels of items the strips I had and the pool store tests both ignored. From my experience with everything else DIY, I understood that having the right tools for the job make it less hit or miss and the kit seemed to be the only tool I really needed in this case. I bought my taylor 2006 kit from amazon to get it 2nd day prime. It comes with smaller bottles of the reagents and I did already have to go to the pool store to buy more of the 871 reagent ($15 for 2 oz) that tests chlorine properly. They were not that far off price from online and I needed it asap, since I was using so much bleach and high FC levels require a lot of 871 drops. I probably should have bought the kit that is promoted here as it would have been more cost effective in the long run. Cult or not, promoted or not, saving money is my reason for using the BBB method and that would have saved a little bit.

Anyways, check out my thread from the last couple weeks ( http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/100322-Lurker-new-pool-owner-SLAM-ing-in-progress-need-help ). It is not very long and has pics of before (after pool store chems) on page one and after pic at the end of page 3 (from today). I extrapolated what I needed from all the other green to blue threads and followed the process as best I could based on my situation. I have finally broken $100 spent "post-pool-store" by spending $11 on vitamin C to help remove irom stains. I have only been on this site maybe 2 weeks now but I think if you take the time to read all the other "swamp to blue" type threads you will see the generosity of the people here in their time, encouragement, and advice. If not, no hard feelings I am sure. It is your pool and no one here will be swimming in it but you and your family.

BTW, I do feel like not having the proper test kit (from either TF or Taylor from Amazon) is like trying to drive somewhere at night by only turning your lights on every minute. You will make more rash directional changes when you can see and you might end up in a swamp. Heck, I did it the first 2.5 days until the kit showed... I probably just wasted some bleach but I felt like I was doing something in the right direction.

P.S. You have come off abrasive/mistrusting in some posts and it is causing an adversarial environment as it is met with disdain. Perhaps we can all start over with you realizing most these people just like to see blue pools that are safe for the family and easy to maintain.

You know, I don't disagree with her. This place does sound like a cult in this thread and in some others... buy this kit... post your info in your sig... post pictures... buy what we tell you and do what we tell you.

I am skeptical also by nature and research everything I do or buy to an obsessive level. I want the best deal and the best product. It is who I am and my wife would be happy to point that trait out to you within 15 minutes of meeting us.

Themamacurd, I got a pool (our first) with our new house less than 3 weeks ago. I had 2 kids, a wife, and myself all wanting to swim on move in day... being the 3rd day from closing. I went to the pool store (leslie's) 3 days in a row with water samples and a mind to turn our green pool blue with no consideration of cost. Previous owners let it go for a month, I was sure money could solve the problem and the pool store would help me get there if I just paid them whatever was asked of me. In those 3 days I spent $250 (really 300 if you include dolphin filter bag, but that was because I didn't realize the dirty underwear looking thing hanging on the fence was for that purpose). In those same 3 days I went from nasty green pool to still very green pool. Their chemical cocktail did something as it was better but I didn't see how I could afford a blue pool at this rate. I think now that this was the real cult.

I found this forum. I started by reading threads from start to finish. Some were REALLY long. I found almost all the posts were helpful and had almost identical discussions on how to treat the pools that were green. I saw every thread discuss buying a kit and it seemed a little overboard but I also noticed the kit that was promoted tested for levels of items the strips I had and the pool store tests both ignored. From my experience with everything else DIY, I understood that having the right tools for the job make it less hit or miss and the kit seemed to be the only tool I really needed in this case. I bought my taylor 2006 kit from amazon to get it 2nd day prime. It comes with smaller bottles of the reagents and I did already have to go to the pool store to buy more of the 871 reagent ($15 for 2 oz) that tests chlorine properly. They were not that far off price from online and I needed it asap, since I was using so much bleach and high FC levels require a lot of 871 drops. I probably should have bought the kit that is promoted here as it would have been more cost effective in the long run. Cult or not, promoted or not, saving money is my reason for using the BBB method and that would have saved a little bit.

Anyways, check out my thread from the last couple weeks ( http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/100322-Lurker-new-pool-owner-SLAM-ing-in-progress-need-help ). It is not very long and has pics of before (after pool store chems) on page one and after pic at the end of page 3 (from today). I extrapolated what I needed from all the other green to blue threads and followed the process as best I could based on my situation. I have finally broken $100 spent "post-pool-store" by spending $11 on vitamin C to help remove irom stains. I have only been on this site maybe 2 weeks now but I think if you take the time to read all the other "swamp to blue" type threads you will see the generosity of the people here in their time, encouragement, and advice. If not, no hard feelings I am sure. It is your pool and no one here will be swimming in it but you and your family.

BTW, I do feel like not having the proper test kit (from either TF or Taylor from Amazon) is like trying to drive somewhere at night by only turning your lights on every minute. You will make more rash directional changes when you can see and you might end up in a swamp. Heck, I did it the first 2.5 days until the kit showed... I probably just wasted some bleach but I felt like I was doing something in the right direction.

P.S. You have come off abrasive/mistrusting in some posts and it is causing an adversarial environment as it is met with disdain. Perhaps we can all start over with you realizing most these people just like to see blue pools that are safe for the family and easy to maintain.

Thank you for your input.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In all seriousness themamacurd, if you read through the threads about people in similar situations to yours, the posts you might consider nasty are actually from stand up people that want to help. They believe in the TFP method, science backs it up, and most importantly it works for a lot a people. Some might be a little harsher than others, but I think they want people who come here to understand that you have to choose pool store or TFP. Your experience at the pool store is a perfect example of what is wrong with trusting anything they have to offer.
I have never set foot in a pool store, so all I know is what I have read here. And it is not just pool stores. You can throw most of the pool cleaners into the same boat. Some of the stuff my pool builder was suggesting I do to maintain my pool was just flat wrong and would have certainly lead me to a green pool. Maybe not in a month, but it was going to happen.

I do not mean to be negative, just trying to help you not make some of the mistakes I made. I am very impatient and wanted to get started before my kit arrived and I had a ph reading of 7.8 from pool store, so in prep for my slam I went to pool store and bought dry acid to lower ph (I know muriatic acid is cheaper, now, but did not know then and still have 5 lbs of acid left over to use). I felt surely pool store can test ph accurately they have very elaborate equipment. Added amount that poolmath told me to add which was half the amount pool store recommended, then to my surprise the kit arrived the next day (2 days after I ordered, But I live in NJ and was shipped from NC so not a long distance). Boy was I surprised when I tested ph and my kit read 6.8, I was shooting for 7.5. So my thought is my ph was never 7.8 in the first place. I then took a sample to 3 different poolstores in reasonable driving difference to see what I would get, 2 of them Leslie's so they have the same equipment. I got 3 very different results. If you are sure your CYA is 160, a partial drain is probably a good idea (but I would not rely on my opinion for anything technical, and a pool drain done improperly can cause a lot of damage.), just hate to see you spend all that money if it is really a 50. From what I read hear the Taylor kit is good and if you have a Taylor kit already that gives a reliable CYA I think your plan is good. Then you can just add the Taylor kit Kim suggested for chlorine and your good to go. Just trying to save you money the way people hear really saved me money and got my pool straightened out very quickly so I was swimming for the 4th of July. Best of luck, hope all goes well.

Everyone contributing to this forum has a pool and a family swimming in it. And most or all have jobs. The only reason we participate in this forum is because we love our pools and TFP so much that we want to help others. Because we really are so happy with how cheap and easy it is to have a really great pool. I pay for my TF100 just the same as anyone else.

The reason we might sound short or frustrated is because we aren't trying to talk you into doing something and if you aren't interested then fine. It's your pool put anything you want to in it and test it with whatever you want. We are simply telling you what works for us. Take it or leave it. There are lots of other people who are interested that we can go help. You aren't going to convince anyone of us that TFPC isn't great and that a TF100 isn't the best thing that ever happened to a pool.

I have been maintaining my pool for 4 seasons TFPC since day one. I have never been to a pool store ever. I have never shocked. I have never been unable to swim because my pool is green. My water has been clear and pool open 24x7x365 since the day I put water in it in 2012. I have had algae one time this year because I let FC drop to 1.5 because I was tired and lazy. I SLAMed it for a week and a half, swam every day and the algae has been gone for about 3 weeks now.

I would love to spend my personal time, for free, to help you love your pool as much as I love mine.

I think I'll jump in too.

I understand the cult comment. There's a couple of things that happen in the threads when someone posts a question. You get seasoned members who know tons of stuff and have all the science and numbers to back it up and you also get new members who are extremely excited because they just figured all this stuff out themselves (from this site) and they can't believe how easy it was. They just know it worked and they know they needed a test kit to make it happen.

Sometimes it ends up looking like a blind following. Auto responses typed out by robots. Test kit sales. Bleach sales. Muriatic Acid sales.

Here's what it comes down to...

The test kits we recommend (they've gotten very specific to tf-100 and taylor k2006) have become a simple "get this" recommendation because we're answering the same type of questions a whole bunch of times a day. Sometimes we say "take a look at this link to see the test kits we recommend" or we say, "get a proper testing kit, make sure it can test CYA and also test FC over 10".

Sometimes people go out and ask at the pool store. "I need a proper kit." The pool store sells them a kit. It's wrong. It doesn't have the right type of test in it.

Now they didn't completely waste their money but they're still going to have to order a supplement for that kit (It's usually the taylor k2005 that the pool store swears is the same thing as the 2006)

Personally I feel bad when that happens because now I have to say, sorry but that one won't work. If it were me I'd wish I had known before I spent the money. Now when I chime in to say "yes get a good kit!". I throw in that I have the TF-100 (because I really do lol) and since I've never had a problem with it I can honestly recommend it.

So....here's the deal!

What we "need" is accurate results. Pool stores aren't accurate enough nor can they test your water every hour or so. Who wants to keep driving back and forth anyway? (Beside the point since even if someone did want to drive back and forth most of the pool stores can't test the chlorine high enough either and they are just overall terrible at getting CYA right)

We need:

Well, I was going to list them but how about this instead?

We need the test/reagents that come with the Taylor K-2006 or the TF-100.

It really doesn't matter if you buy them from amazon or tftestkits.net or if you manage to find a pool store locally that actually carries all those reagents.

The hardest ones to come by locally are the "ingredients" in the FAS/DPD chlorine test. They are R-0870 Powder (It's a tiny container of white powder) R-0871 Drops (Used with the powder to figure FC - Free Chlorine), and R-0003 drops (Used to test CC - combined chloramines)

You can buy pretty much everything separately from amazon but I'm pretty sure it will end up costing more. Some people buy the k-2006 from amazon because they have prime so they get the free 2 day shipping.

I tried this spring to get a better deal because it was time for refills on my kit. I have a small vinyl pool and I really don't think I need to care much about CH (Calcium hardness) so I figured maybe I could save by just ordering the other things separately and leaving that one out. It didn't work. It cost more. LOL Bundles are cheaper usually and test kits are just individual tests bundled together.

You want to make sure your test is reasonably "fresh". An old test kit that sat in the garage all summer last year may have some reagents that have gone bad and won't test reliably.

If you have a fairly new basic kit you might be able to just add a few things to it. Is it the HTH 6-way kit I've heard so much about but have never managed to find in a store? I've seen a bunch of people here who have that one and were lucky to have a walmart that carries it. Ours don't.

If your 6-way doesn't have a CYA test that can be bought separately. Amazon sells it. You have to get the measuring cylinder that has the black dot on the bottom, the mixing bottle and the R-0013 testing reagent. It comes in a bunch of sizes.

Most of all there's a bunch of people here. Some of us are a little obsessed (me) with our pools. I like forums. I used to hang around in chat rooms for hours. I like this forum because I feel like I can help people and I like helping people.

We just like helping people. We know what works not just because it worked for us but because it's been proven time and time again to work and it is backed up by science. We've got some pretty hard hitters when it comes to the scientific side of things. I'm not one of them. I'm just going based on my results and the fact that the results support the science if that makes sense.

Technically you don't have to have any kit. Or you can use whatever one you want. You could use test strips or the pool store. We just can't give any advice based on it because we want to trust the test results before we say "put x amount of x in your pool". No one here wants to be the one that suggests something that ruins someone else's pool *even if* it wasn't our fault because it was their messed up test results.

We can't force you to do anything (obviously, it's just the internet) We can't make you buy something or use something or follow some advice. We can only promise that if you're willing to give it a try and if you are sick of trusting someone else with your pool and your money, we are here to help you learn how to do it yourself.

It wouldn't be right for us to tell people "hey it's easy, follow our advice and you can fix the pool" if we didn't tell them up front that they need to be able to test their own water or we can't guarantee it's going to work.

So there it is. Hopefully I made some sort of sense. I'm just a random person in Virginia Beach sitting at my computer at 148am remembering I'm supposed to get up early tomorrow to do something. (Oops) I have a relatively small pool in my backyard that I bought at wal-mart close to 10 years ago.

I found TFP 2 years ago when my pool was dark green and filled with muck and I had no idea how to fix it. My husband said to me one day.."why don't we just try bleach? isn't it just chlorine?" I pretty much freaked out and said :shock: NO! That's crazy! That would be insane! Then I decided to google it to prove him wrong and I found TFP and proved myself wrong! Oops again.

Since then I've just been addicted to the forum. I like reading about other people's pools. I love seeing the construction pages. Most of all, I like to help other people because I was in their shoes and I just still can't believe how simple it is and how complicated it seemed before I found this website. I love seeing that light come on when someone "gets it". I also love seeing someone we just helped a week or 2 ago jumping in to help someone else who's in the same place they just were.

I don't get anything for it. (Shhh don't tell but I'm not even a "supporter" so I don't even get a discount on a test kit that I have heard exists)

I just have a boring life. LOL I only work 3 days a week right now. I really don't have a social life and my mom is out of town a lot lately so I've been extra bored and on the site all the time!

Ok, there. There's no way I'm a bot. I suppose I could still be a salesman but I'm selling Trouble Free Pool Care method not test kits. I don't care where you get a test kit from. (Not in a bad way just in an "It makes no difference to me" way) I just want you to be able to "fix" your pool. I want you to be able to maintain it easily because I hate seeing people frustrated if I can help them. I don't want you to waste your money because I'm just nice? I mean, I don't think anyone should waste their money. Not by spending it on stuff I don't agree with...that's up to you. I don't want you to get ripped off.

Do your research and see what you can come up with. If you can find stuff locally maybe you can save on shipping and piece something together.

I found one place that could get me the FAS/DPD stuff. It cost more but was offset by the fact that I picked it up in person. When it came time for refills this year (second year with the kit) I just ordered the full refill set from tftestkits.net because they had a sale and it was a good price. I couldn't find anything cheaper and the shipping is especially fast for me because they're in NC and I'm in VA.

When it's the middle of the night I type too much. I'm going to bed now. I hope you'll figure something out with your pool.

I just thought of something else. I gotta +1 on the wait to drain. You got 2 very different CYA results. Why not get the CYA testing stuff and test it yourself before making any decisions about draining? At least you'll have a more solid idea of what you need to do rather than picking one of the 2 test results and making a pretty big decision based on it. That's my 2 cents on that and I hate the CYA test...but it's doable. :)

Now I'm subscribed to this thread so I'll be lurking about to see what happens next! :)

Welcome to TFP. Hope you enjoy this book I just wrote! :p

A major difference between us and a true cult is that you can question us. We welcome questions.
Just remember there's a lot of different people here with very different personalities. Everyone has their own way of responding. (I think you're already seeing that!)

If you drain and refill your pool, which you need to do anyway to get your CYA down into a manageable range, then you can certainly get by with a 6-way test kit. I've done it. But you'll need to stay on top of it, because if you get another algae bloom, you still won't be able to accurately perform a SLAM without a test kit that can measure FC versus CC.

I can understand your skepticism and desire to understand the reasoning behind everything you're being told here. The science is sound and it's all explained in the articles on the Pool School page. If you haven't read those yet, you need to. Then you'll understand.

And no one here, except perhaps Dave, makes anything on the sale of any test kits. We're just passionate about it because we've all been frustrated in the past by similar pool store experiences, and love to share the word that there's a better and much cheaper way. I'm all about that when it comes to pools and many other subjects.

If you drain and refill your pool, which you need to do anyway to get your CYA down into a manageable range, then you can certainly get by with a 6-way test kit. I've done it. But you'll need to stay on top of it, because if you get another algae bloom, you still won't be able to accurately perform a SLAM without a test kit that can measure FC versus CC.

I can understand your skepticism and desire to understand the reasoning behind everything you're being told here. The science is sound and it's all explained in the articles on the Pool School page. If you haven't read those yet, you need to. Then you'll understand.

And no one here, except perhaps Dave, makes anything on the sale of any test kits. We're just passionate about it because we've all been frustrated in the past by similar pool store experiences, and love to share the word that there's a better and much cheaper way. I'm all about that when it comes to pools and many other subjects.

Sure jeffchap. Just say it in a few paragraphs when I took a whole page to type it out! LOL

Hey, what he said! ;-) Or you can read my book. lol I'm still up...:hammer::gone:

LOL! We were both obviously typing our responses at the same time. I got notified that you had posted while I was typing. Mine is only shorter because I'm on my phone and it's a PITA to type on this little touch keyboard. I can get verbose myself.

I made the mistake of sitting down at my computer. Nice keyboard.

Now I'm on my phone typing with 1 finger. Yes. I'm still looking at the forum but I promise I'm going to bed this time!
I have to sleep so I can check this thread first thing in the morning.
I just hope I don't dream about test kits or something like that. :)

Mamacurd, you said different people have told you different things, but the people on this forum will all tell you the same thing; get a proper test kit, don't trust the pool store, follow the methods advocated on this site. We might sound like a broken record but our advice goes against a huge industry with a long history of misinformation. We have to hammer the message home because most people can't wrap their heads around advice from a free website vs. a huge industry. The difference is our advice works consistently and is cheaper in the long run. All we care about is helping others take control of their pool. We're ready to help, and we can hardly wait to see how happy you are when you have a beautiful crystal clear pool!

Hi thermacurd
haven't been here long myself
the most reliable test kits are the taylor drop tests
only the fas dpd kits can test chlorine over 10ppm
the tf100 was made using those reagents in a size that was found to be most useful
from real world experience
dave made a relaible test kit with usable quantities, the tf100
the taylor kits look prettier but you do end up running out of some reagents whilst others are barely used
with chemgeek on board for the down and nasty chemical analysis
you can't go wrong here
a lot of the members get very passionate
because they know it works and saves so much time and money
and want others to share the experience

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.