Above ground pool - any advice for a newbie please?

Had to bite the bullet .... the pool was drained today. Mainly because of the water quality (I still haven't been able to locate a similar testing kit to the ones TFP recommends - neither TFT nor Taylor kits are available here) and partly because it could of been in the way of a delivery we had today! Did annoy the neighbours though with water seeping into their garden accidentally... :/

Anyhow ... filled it up again and I've followed the Pool School maths (hopefully correctly) - 8ft round pool by 2ft deep = 0.75oz (20g) of dichlor - though I think I've made a little error by pouring it next to the return filter - it all sank in one lump - rather than sprinkle it all over the pool! I hope it will disperse all around the pool (like the tablet-in-the-filter version sunken pools tend to use). If it's still settled on the pool floor when I look tomorrow morning - would a big stick and stir the pool help?

Still learning .... I doubt a career in pool maintenance will take off though!

Just had a look at the pool - the chlorine does seem to have mixed in.

Using the very unscientific test kit (basically it's match the colours) the PH is about 7.2-7.5 and I think the chlorine level is 2-3ppm (which, according to the instructions on the tub, is how it should be). There is no CYA test, so later I'm going to see what test kits are available here and post links to see if you'd recommend them. Strangely, I can't seem to locate bleach with 6% chlorine either - I'll have to research that as well.

At least the pool is usable again now - yay!

Hi

I'm looking now and have come across this electronic device - has anyone used anything similar? Lovibond Scuba Tester - Lovibond Digital Scuba II Tester - it's missing the Calcium test (not so much of a problem in our soft water area though).

There is also this: Aquachek True Test - Pool Water Testing - Aquachek Water Testing Kits - not as many tests I note

There's this on Amazon - Lamotte 2056 Colorq Pro 7 Digital Pool Water Test Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Garden Outdoors - again electronic.

A more top of the range version of the above - testing iron and copper?? Do I even need to test them (not including in the recommended kit I'm trying to get similar kit to: LaMotte 2067 ColorQ Pro 9 PLUS Swimming Pool Water Test Meter Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Garden Outdoors

Last edited:
Hi

I'm looking now and have come across this electronic device - has anyone used anything similar? Lovibond Scuba Tester - Lovibond Digital Scuba II Tester - it's missing the Calcium test (not so much of a problem in our soft water area though).

There is also this: Aquachek True Test - Pool Water Testing - Aquachek Water Testing Kits - not as many tests I note

There's this on Amazon - Lamotte 2056 Colorq Pro 7 Digital Pool Water Test Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Garden Outdoors - again electronic.

A more top of the range version of the above - testing iron and copper?? Do I even need to test them (not including in the recommended kit I'm trying to get similar kit to: LaMotte 2067 ColorQ Pro 9 PLUS Swimming Pool Water Test Meter Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Garden Outdoors

It would take awhile but you could get a taylor K-2006 from uk ebay... Taylor Technologies, K-2006 Complete Poolcare DPD-FAS Test Kit | eBay

the digital testers just dont seem to do well and are not accurate for what you need... also, this one is much cheaper :)

Thanks pooldv - those 4 days are Monday to Thursday when we're at work as well!!!!

I've tried looking for those Taylor kits, however they can only be imported so shipping costs are expensive (nearly the costs of the kit!).

It would take awhile but you could get a taylor K-2006 from uk ebay... Taylor Technologies, K-2006 Complete Poolcare DPD-FAS Test Kit | eBay

the digital testers just dont seem to do well and are not accurate for what you need... also, this one is much cheaper :)

Sorry Cowboyvasey - only just seen your message - I could get it shipped over, however take a look at the postage costs:

Nearly the same as what the kit itself costs! I'm aware that you may not of seen this as eBay would have picked up your location in Oklahoma and calculated local shipping costs. Again - thanks for looking for me.

Trouble is - the only people with pools here are the very rich or those with holiday lets - and they tend to use the professionals to maintain their pools. Though there are small pockets of suppliers so the search continues!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's been a week now since I last refilled and chlorinated and I've just tested and these are the results:

FC level - about 2-3
PH - 6.8 (soda ash added)
Other test to be conducted when the test kit arrives!
Filter - still quite clean.

Due to the weather though (it's been more like early spring than mid-summer) - it hasn't been used and has had the cover on the whole time! Also - no grass or other debris has got in so that will stop any reduction of chlorine depletion/algae growth.

So - very happy at this result in comparison to before! Many thanks everyone for your help!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.