Does anyone else take out filter grids when going on vacation for a few weeks?

Jul 20, 2014
Berks County, PA
Hi,

As sort of a corollary to another thread I posted...does anyone do this? I always remove the grids just for peace of mind to not have to worry about filter pressure increase while away with noone to take care of it. Also, over the years I often experienced rather unpredictable and short cycles. So far this summer, though, I have a really long cycle going (almost a month) which I think might be attributable to the replastering I had done last summer and also better chemical maintenance. My cycles are always a bit erratic after opening until the pool gets cleared up, then seem to be fairly constant but historically have never gone much more than 2 weeks without a gradual or sometimes sudden increase. Based on this cycle it seems that it would be fine to backwash, clean, recharge, and let it go while away. It would be nice to come home to a pool that looks as good as it does before leaving, but then there is always that uncertainty. Peace of mind is worth something too. Any thoughts from others? Perhaps I'm the only one who worries about this sort of thing (?) I realize that without the grids I'm basically just circulating water, albeit at good, constant pressure, so that seems to help keep the water looking pretty decent by the time I return home.

Thanks,
Keith

I go about 9 months between backwashes, so no, I've never done that. Why does your filter clog so fast? Are you next door to a farm or a quarry or some other source of dust?

I just raise the water level a couple inches above normal and stuff a floater with pucks and go.

I go about 9 months between backwashes, so no, I've never done that. Why does your filter clog so fast? Are you next door to a farm or a quarry or some other source of dust?

I just raise the water level a couple inches above normal and stuff a floater with pucks and go.

Surrounded by farm fields on every side of our property. Also, we use baquacil which apparently is known for filter issues

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.