New to keeping a pool clean/Testing Levels.

Jul 6, 2015
New york
I now have the responsibility of keeping my family's pool clean & in shape, however I am so lost when trying to do so.

I have just taken chlorine & ph levels with this test kit I was given.

The pH was almost there, about 7.1-7.2, however the chlorine just looked like it was 0, Absolutely no color to it.

Also the pool is rather cloudy, I would assume raising a level on something would lighten it up though.

Now I have some questions..

1.Does Baking Soda raise the pH/Alkalinity?
2. What would I add to raise the Chlorine/Alkalinity if the baking soda doesn't?
3. What would be the best way to raise these levels?

Welcome to TFP.

First I recommend you read the ABC's of pool water chemistry in pool school.

Pool School - Pool School

Next order a recommended test kit such as the TF 100 linked in my signature.

PH will rise on its own. Don't add anything.

Here at TFP we use bleach for chlorine. I cannot tell you how much to add as you don't list a full setofnumbersfrom a recommended test kit or your pool information.

You should also read up on the SLAM process in the how to section of pool school. You may need to SLAM.

Can you post a pic by uploading it to photobucket and then copy the IMG code and paste it here please?

You can update your signature in settings.

Welcome to TFP.

First I recommend you read the ABC's of pool water chemistry in pool school.

Pool School - Pool School

Next order a recommended test kit such as the TF 100 linked in my signature.

PH will rise on its own. Don't add anything.

Here at TFP we use bleach for chlorine. I cannot tell you how much to add as you don't list a full setofnumbersfrom a recommended test kit or your pool information.

You should also read up on the SLAM process in the how to section of pool school. You may need to SLAM.

Can you post a pic by uploading it to photobucket and then copy the IMG code and paste it here please?

You can update your signature in settings.
I had just updated my signature, let me see if it will show in this reply..

I now have the responsibility of keeping my family's pool clean & in shape, however I am so lost when trying to do so.

I have just taken chlorine & ph levels with this test kit I was given.

The pH was almost there, about 7.1-7.2, however the chlorine just looked like it was 0, Absolutely no color to it.

Also the pool is rather cloudy, I would assume raising a level on something would lighten it up though.

Now I have some questions..

1.Does Baking Soda raise the pH/Alkalinity?
2. What would I add to raise the Chlorine/Alkalinity if the baking soda doesn't?
3. What would be the best way to raise these levels?
Here is a link to PoolMath
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Not sure how it turned into 'Mathew' in a previous post ��

Borax (the 20-mule-team stuff, in the laundry aisle) will raise pH without raising total alkalinity. Also, I disagree with the earlier statement that pH 'will rise on its own.' That is true in many pools, but it is not universal (my own pool, for example, always drifts down, and I've seen other posts from this part of the country observing the same thing).

As the previous poster suggested, please start reading in Pool School, so you can better understand how pool chemistry works, and how different factors interact, particularly the relationship between CYA (cyanuric acid aka stabilizer) and FC (free chlorine). And you will definitely want a better test kit in order to know what's going on in your pool and to manage it effectively.

In the short term, don't let the water sit with no chlorine, or algae is likely to take over. In your size pool, maybe put in half a gallon of regular bleach daily (and measure with the test kit you do have). This is only a stop gap measure, while waiting for good test results, i.e. your own good quality test kit. You won't really know exactly how much chlorine you need until you know how much CYA is in the water... Again, please read Pool School, and this will start to make sense ��

Keeping your pool clear and clean is quite manageable; you just need more information than you have available at the moment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.