REPOST: 10000gal in-ground pool - first winter in Charlotte NC, cold snap incoming. Advice needed please!

MoogMan

Aug 9, 2022
Charlotte, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi all,

I have a new 10,000 gallon in ground fibreglass pool here in Charlotte.

This is my first winter and we are about to have 3/4 day cold snap, with night temps dipping into teens and even a day sub 32° temps.

After speaking to other pool owners here I was advised that closing and winterizing here is not needed, so I have been running my pump on low RPMs overnight. My omnilogic system and pump also have freeze protection which kicks in at 37° anyway.

But now we have this cold snap coming I am getting a little worried. I was going to tarp my equipment and add a work light just to keep the temps up, but maybe I should drain my equipment in case of power outage?

I have a simple set up - no drains or valves just a skimmer and 2 returns. Water in from the skimmer (right pipe on pics) and out from the heater/SWG (left pipe) to returns. I have a Hayward VSP pump, Hayward cartridge filter and Hayward heater (not in use). Should I drain these to be on the safe side?

I must admit I’m not familiar with how to do this but am researching as we speak. Thanks!

Attachments

• AFE8BBBA-6712-4B83-81EE-545B7D888571.jpeg
    AFE8BBBA-6712-4B83-81EE-545B7D888571.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 95181C08-0289-4F4B-A025-3C1518306BB5.jpeg
    95181C08-0289-4F4B-A025-3C1518306BB5.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 31
  • CD775394-73FF-49AE-ABB8-1A98803467FC.jpeg
    CD775394-73FF-49AE-ABB8-1A98803467FC.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 32
  • 4245FFC0-745A-4CBA-AC0A-CAF0AADA52AE.jpeg
    4245FFC0-745A-4CBA-AC0A-CAF0AADA52AE.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 32
Leave it running but if you loose power drain the water out of the filter and pump.
The pump will have 2 drain plugs near the base, might locate them and the drain for the filter now just in case.

We are expecting similar weather in Atlanta so watching it also

Reactions: MoogMan
If it were going to get below 20 and stay there I would say drop the water level below the tiles and skimmers.
But it will take more then a day below freezing to do any damage IMHO..

I am 95% sure you have nothing to worry about but if you lose power drain pump ( 2 drains on left side bottom ) and the filter and open all the valves so the water in the will go below ground level.

The only time I have had the top inch or so freeze was a while back when it stayed in the teens for a week. Only danger was my son wanting to walk on it :)

Good to know, thanks so much for the advice. My setup seems relatively simple. I don’t seem to have any valves, water comes through my skimmer to pump and filter then out again. As you can see the pool equipment sits higher so I assume the pump does all the work and once it is off and drained the water will fall back to the pool?

Good to know, thanks so much for the advice. My setup seems relatively simple. I don’t seem to have any valves, water comes through my skimmer to pump and filter then out again. As you can see the pool equipment sits higher so I assume the pump does all the work and once it is off and drained the water will fall back to the pool?
Yep, if you do drain the pump probably need to open it and add water to help it prime.
Enjoy the holidays and the pool will be good :)

Yep, if you do drain the pump probably need to open it and add water to help it prime.
Enjoy the holidays and the pool will be good :)
One more thing - as neighbourhoods Nearby are already losing power (fingers crossed we are spared) - if we lose electricity this is my plan:

1. Shut power off at breaker.
2. Remove pump drain plugs and let water drain.
3. Remove filter drain plug and let water drain. (I should release the pressure valve first, correct?)
4. Remove heater drain plug and let water drain.

Is there anything else I need to do? Will the small amount of exposed pipe be okay? (Se pictures)

The equipment is already tented with thick tarp.

Reactions: markayash
You should be good, just leave air vent on top of filter and all the water should drop to pool level which looks like at least 6” underground and that shouldn’t get cold enough to freeze here.

My dogs ran out at 8am to go potty like normal and turned around fast, I did get them to go in an area with bushes so at least blocks the wind.
It’s 14 here 😔

Reactions: HeyEng and MoogMan
You should be good, just leave air vent on top of filter and all the water should drop to pool level which looks like at least 6” underground and that shouldn’t get cold enough to freeze here.

My dogs ran out at 8am to go potty like normal and turned around fast, I did get them to go in an area with bushes so at least blocks the wind.
It’s 14 here 😔
My guy did the same and it’s 32° right now, he’s going to have quite the shock when it drops to 11°!

So I’ll leave the air vent on the filter open when I drain. I sincerely appreciate all the help and you easing my pool anxiety!

The wind here has been intense, I have a large wicker chair that decided to go for a swim this morning at 5am. The one chair I didn’t secure of course!

• Wow

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My guy did the same and it’s 32° right now, he’s going to have quite the shock when it drops to 11°!

So I’ll leave the air vent on the filter open when I drain. I sincerely appreciate all the help and you easing my pool anxiety!

The wind here has been intense, I have a large wicker chair that decided to go for a swim this morning at 5am. The one chair I didn’t secure of course!
Also can’t remember if you mentioned it but make sure your pump is running at night or have freeze protection enabled.

We have rolling blackouts coming apparently - 60 mins at a time.

My water is 37° degrees right now and it’s currently 15° outside. Pump has been running, equipment is tarped, all looks good.

An hour is too much to wait isn’t it?

An hour should be fine starting with 37 degree water. Be prepared to step in if it looks like it's going to be considerably longer than they predicted.

I just wrapped more blankets around the small amount of exposed pipe. Nothing yet but expecting blackouts soon. Merry Christmas 😆
I would turn the inside heat up a couple extra degrees :)

My pool has a thin layer of ice on it but was 8 degrees when I took the dogs out

They are Chihuahua do don’t have a lot of hair so don’t stay out longer then required

I would turn the inside heat up a couple extra degrees :)

My pool has a thin layer of ice on it but was 8 degrees when I took the dogs out

They are Chihuahua do don’t have a lot of hair so don’t stay out longer then required
Mine is a chihuahua too - long haired though. He’s still a princess about water and temperature!

Pool is okay, just waiting for the inevitable rolling blackout and hoping it’s no longer that the designated 60 minutes. Really don’t want to drown everything as it’s warming up over the next few days.

Mine is a chihuahua too - long haired though. He’s still a princess about water and temperature!

Pool is okay, just waiting for the inevitable rolling blackout and hoping it’s no longer that the designated 60 minutes. Really don’t want to drown everything as it’s warming up over the next few days.
We have a condo in Hilton head SC and luckily I have a smart thermostat, it was 22 there this morning 😎

Hello! I found this thread doing some research about running my pump for freezing nights. I am also in Atlanta area.
I have a simple single speed motor and mechanical timer. I'll be away for two weeks and want to set the timer to run at night.
I was thinking 8PM-8AM but my question is, is 12 hours too long to run?

Hello! I found this thread doing some research about running my pump for freezing nights. I am also in Atlanta area.
I have a simple single speed motor and mechanical timer. I'll be away for two weeks and want to set the timer to run at night.
I was thinking 8PM-8AM but my question is, is 12 hours too long to run?
I usually barely get cold here and when it does it’s early AM.
What you could do is run it from 2am until 8am if your worried.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.