10 pound of grout in the pool

May 20, 2008
Waldorf, MD
So I replaced about 40 feet of water line tile and re-grouted all 120 feet of water line tile. I got a lot of grout in the pool. There is probably about 10 pounds of grout in the pool. There was so much that it turned the water cloudy and raised the the PH to 8.2. I got sock on the skimmer and I vacuumed up all of the big pieces. Now I have a lot of powder/dust in the pool. I am vacuuming every day, I am running the filter all day, I am cleaning cartridges in my filter every couple of days. The skimmer sock does a very good job of catching the "sand grains" that get sucked up by the vacuum.

I believe I keep this course going for a few more days and see what happens. agree?
I have not adjusted the PH, because I think it will go down, the more Grout powder I remove. agree?
How about using the pillow stuffing in the skimmer along with the sock to catch the smaller particles?, or do you think the pump filter will do that?

Add muriatic acid and lower your pH to around 7.6. Your pH will not go down from removing the grout from the water.

Keep filtering and it will clear up eventually.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
You need to test your TA as well as pH. The excess grout probably added quite a bit of alkalinity to the water. If that's the case, you will need to dose acid frequently to keep the pH down and lower the TA. As Allen said, the pH will not come down on its own, you need to actively manage it.

I would also suggest you clean out the cartridge filter as the grout dust is going to load it up quickly.

Thanks.
My Ph is very high, darker then the last number on the test. (more then 8.2)
My TA looked ok at 80
I put a gallon of 10% liquid chlorine in last night and that is all gone and it was a cool overcast day today.

I will test and add Acid a few times a day so I don't over shoot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.