10 days into a SLAM with little results.

crabtreed

Jul 2, 2022
Chanute KS
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey guys, I want to get your opinion on this. 10 days into the slam. I have done this 2 years in a row with much quicker results. Its hard for me to see any improvement. When I brush the bottom of the pool it stirs up a bunch of brownish dust. Do I just have a huge algae bloom? Or do I have a pump issue?
Our robot vacuum also stopped working so I am without it for the time being. Thanks for your help.

The last photo is from today. The first photo is right after I took the cover off. The middle photo is a few days after starting the SLAM.
IMG_1305.jpegIMG_1309.jpegIMG_1327.jpeg
CYA-25
FC-13

What kind of filter do you have?
How and when are you backwashing or cleaning the filter?
Do you have a vacuum?
How often are you testing and replacing FC?

Reactions: crabtreed
Are you using PoolMath?

Log all tests and chemical additions.

Enable Log Sharing so we can follow along and track what is happening.

Your CYA is 30. We round up.

It is a sand filter. I am backwashing when the pressure raises to around 20 percent above normal. I do have a vacuum and have been using it when time allows me too. I am testing the FC every morning and every evening. (Sometimes also in the middle of the afternoon if my schedule allows.

I am testing the FC every morning and every evening. (Sometimes also in the middle of the afternoon if my schedule allows.
It is going to take a loooong time to slam if you can only do twice a day. Anyway you can do every couple hours? If not, do it every hour or two when you are home, even into the evening until bed. Hit it often on the weekend...every two hours.

Manually vacuuming the pool might help remove more debris quicker.
Most likely, a filter backwash may be needed after you vacuum.
Vacuum slowly and deliberately so you get all the settled debris out.

At your current frequency of testing/dosing and vacuuming, it's going to take a while. If you can find the time to do these more frequently, it will speed up the process.

When I measure the FC that quickly it has barely even dropped.
Great - then dose back up to SLAM Process
Early morning, noon (if you're around), right after work and again right before bedtime would be twice as often as you are doing now and will help speed up the process.

Full context

+1 for manual vacuuming. Robots are not designed for heavy cleanings. Bless their hearts they sure try, but a manual vac whoops it down the street.

The crud needs to go whether it's mud, algae, or muddy algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Unfortunately it's very common for someone to put in effort for some time and get frustrated just as they are about to turn the corner and in desperation add some non-recommended chemical, and as the pool turns that corner they credit this chemical for the turn. It's what a lot of internet reviews are based upon.

But perhaps that's not the case here. Would you share what algaecide you used and how much you added? I'm also interested in hearing your take on what it did that chlorine could not do and how it not only killed algae but removed it from the water in short order.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it's very common for someone to put in effort for some time and get frustrated just as they are about to turn the corner and in desperation add some non-recommended chemical, and as the pool turns that corner they credit this chemical for the turn. It's what a lot of internet reviews are based upon.

But perhaps that's not the case here. Would you share what algaecide you used and how much you added? I'm also interested in hearing your take on what it did that chlorine could not do and how it not only killed algae but removed it from the water in short order.
It was Clorox Algecide. Extra Blue. I have used the entire bottle. I saw the pool change within the first 12 hours of adding it. I am not sure what it did differently than the chlorine but it is hard to believe that it had no effect on killing the algae quicker. This is the first time I have used it. The last few years my slam worked well. Not so much this year.

Clorox Algecide. Extra Blue
We don't recommend this product or any product that includes Blue, Blu or any other spelling.

See non-recommended chemicals under metal based algeacides:

Here is what we DO recommend:

This product includes copper sulfate.
1716394396056.png

Copper causes:
  • Green to black stains
  • Cartridge filters turning a turquoise blue-green color
  • Blonde or gray hair turning green
  • Possibly emerald green pool water indicating presence of copper with other Metals, likely copper and iron.
Copper can only be removed by draining water.

Problems sulfates can cause include:
  • Sulfates can damage concrete & plaster
  • Excess sulfates in water increases the likelihood of corrosion on metal parts
  • Excess sulfates in splash out water leads to degradation of any concrete surfaces
  • Sulfates degrade the coatings on SWG plates
  • At high enough concentrations, sulfates can react with calcium to form spindly, needle-like crystals of calcium sulfate (gypsum)
  • While sulfates in vinyl pools is typically not as problematic as in plaster pools, scaling of gypsum crystals can increase the risk of liner puncture.[10]
Sulfates can only be removed by draining water.

Reactions: newdude
it is hard to believe that it had no effect
Yes, most people posting overly positive reviews of pool potions find it easy to believe that days or weeks of effort did absolutely nothing, but find it difficult to believe [pool potion they know nothing about] didn't solve all their problems overnight. Hmm, when I write it that way it seems kind of backwards, doesn't it?

Anyway, glad things have turned the corner and hope that the copper doesn't prove to be too much of a problem.