1.5 year old IC-40 acting up and scale question

JameyG

Bronze Supporter
Feb 9, 2018
Orlando, FL
Hi there, seeing some funkiness in my FC levels and wanted to posts on here and get some advice. Normally I keep my FC around 5-6 consistently, and my IC-40 runs at 40% output during the summer. I can usually drop it to 20% with a longer run time in the winter and everything is all good. Yesterday I went out and checked and FC was at 3. Hmm weird. I wanted to crank the FC level since I am expecting quite a few people over tomorrow, and there will be a lot of people in the pool. I set the IC-40 to 100% output just see what would happen. It still had a 4 or so hours of run time before it was set to turn off for the night. This morning it kicked on and I gave it a couple more hours before checking. FC at 2.5. All indicators are green on the cell, Salt is at 3800.

Ok methinks there is a problem. I took the IC-40 off the plumbing to clean it with a 50% MA/water mixture and did so even though I didn't SEE any scale buildup or anything in the metal spline thingies. I put it back together and later, took a reading right next to the return which measured FC of 5. So maybe it just needed to be cleaned even though it didn't look like it? I wish I had done that measurement next to the return before I cleaned it, but oh well. Anyone know why this would happen? Does this sound consistent with a cell that needed to be cleaned? I cleaned it probably 4ish months ago. I would have assumed the check cell indicator would have been flashing if this thing was not producing chlorine at 100% output. I have compensated with some 10.5% bleach for now to get the FC level up before the people arrive, and turned the output back down to 40% and will keep an eye on it.

Other topic that probably belongs in the chemistry section, but I don't want to make two posts, hope that is ok. I have a black finish, which given the calcium in my well water was probably not an optimal choice. I am very cognizant to keep the PH in check (currently at 7.4) because I know scale worsens the higher it goes. My current CA reading is 625, and I am starting to see what looks like opaque blotchiness in my finish. Is this scale? How do I get rid of this? I have been trying to let rainwater take care of my evaporation issues as much as possible, but sometimes it's a while before it rains so I have to use the well. Would using my spigot off my house with a water softener be the preferred method to not add additional calcium vs. straight from the well spigot?

Thanks so much for any advice, this forum has always been extremely helpful!

Best,
-Jamey

Attachments

• IMG_1460.jpg
    IMG_1460.jpg
    536.8 KB · Views: 12
Never clean a SWCG with acid unless it absolutely needs it, the acid removes a portion of the metal coating and reduces the life of the cell.

I suspect you got a burst of organics that consumed some of your chlorine. Anytime you need a quick burst of FC add liquid chlorine to the pool.

The blotches on dark plaster are pretty common. I doubt it is scale. Scale will form first at your water line. And you will see scale flakes off your SWCG if your CSI is positive.

Never clean a SWCG with acid unless it absolutely needs it, the acid removes a portion of the metal coating and reduces the life of the cell.

I suspect you got a burst of organics that consumed some of your chlorine. Anytime you need a quick burst of FC add liquid chlorine to the pool.

The blotches on dark plaster are pretty common. I doubt it is scale. Scale will form first at your water line. And you will see scale flakes off your SWCG if your CSI is positive.

Thank you mknauss! Good to know, I will just use water pressure going forward to clean the SWG. Is it recommended to use softened water going forward to reduce further calcium?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.