1.5 or 1 HP pump?

babsh

Aug 16, 2014
atlantta
single speed Hayward 1.5 hp pump died... now were replacing it... should I get a 1.5 dual speed or can I get a 1HP?
Do I need a dual speed if I already have a booster pump for our Polaris? I know they save money- just not sure if dual speed will interfere with the booster
Looking at getting a new sand filter too- does the filter have anything to do with the HP on the pump?

Pool site about 15 feet from pump/filter if that matters... seems like I was asked that.

The booster pump runs independently of the regular pump. I would get the dual speed. The only time the pump size matters in relation to the sand filter is if the pump is too powerful and blasts debris through the filter instead of it being captured, or if the pump is too weak and can't push water through the filter. Neither of these issues should be a problem if your current pump filter set up has been compatible.

OK next question... I'm looking at a new filter too. Whats the advantage of DE vs sand? We were thinking of moving to a salt water pool, I thought maybe the pool would stay clearer for cheaper if I could keep it balanced better- but now Im thinking I just need a new filter. The one on it is from the 70's swim quip HRU series- I can find zero about it on the web.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.