1 1/2" to 2" Question

Mar 23, 2017
Edmond, OK
Ok, by luck about 3 seasons ago, I found a complete Goldline (Hayward) Aqua Rite swcg system a guy had used for a year and then switched back to chlorine. He sold it to me for an obscenely low amount of money so my suspicions were always there. However, the cell tested good today and the control panel is good. His story was that he sold the house, the new owners didn't want it and he bought a house without a pool. I thought nothing of it and shoved it in a cabinet in my garage to store it until I was ready to take on the installation myself. I'm now planning on making the switch over now that I'm comfortable cutting and gluing PVC pipe as well as electrical work. I'm also getting tired of lugging jugs of bleach home from Aldi. But I digress.

My question is, all of my pool plumbing is 1 1/2". Why it's not 2" I have no idea. Anyway, the salt cell itself and flow sensor t-fitting are all 2" and require Hayward specific unions. My thinking was just to cut off the pipe coming out of the multiport outflow and making that entire line 2" before it goes back down into the ground to be returned to the pool. Reason being, it would cut down on all the adapters and fittings I'd need and would still go to 1 1/2" pipe once it does down into the ground before returning to the pool.

Do you forsee any issues with doing this? I think it probably wouldn't make a difference since it's going back to 1 1/2" before being returned to the pool but there would be at least a section of about 24" of 2" pipe before being reduced back down and returned to the pool.

This just seems the best way IMO to make a clean install without using extra couplers which is why I'm asking.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.