1 1/2 Pump Inlet/Outlet with 2" Plumbing

Aug 26, 2016
Baltimore, MD
I recently had my old pump (WhisperFlo) take a dump while restarting after Irma. It came with the house and is probably 10-14 years old. I decided to replace it instead of diagnosis. Thinking I'm smarter than I am, I just went off the fact that my backwash pipe is 1 1/2 and ordered a pump with the same HP as the old and 1 1/2" pipe spec. I just went outside to install the pump and found that the pool is plumbed with 2" pipe. Will using a pump with 1 1/2 in/out on a 2" system cause issues. I have a SWG, propane heater, and in-floor cleaning system attached.

Trying to see if I should keep this pump or go through the hassle of an exchange. TIA.

Won't present a problem, as long as you have the reducing adapters in place.

If you bought a Pentair pump - the Superflo are maybe 1.5 inch screw in, but they come with union fittings that can take either 1.5 OR 2 inch. It would not surprise me if the Whisperflo are the same.

Thanks. Having that choke point at 1 1/2 wont cause pressure issues down the remaining 2" lines? Looking at the available pumps in 1 1/2 HP, most use 1 1/2 in/out, unless I get another WhisperFlo. Even the Pentairs that have the 1 1/2-2" combo union fittings, have the pump in/out threaded for 1 1/2 male threaded fitting. It looks like even if I went that route, the ID of the pump body in/out is still only 1 1/2". They're labeled as "Unionized fittings (1.5" internal slip and 2" external slip)". Sounds like the plumbing either slips over the union fitting(2") or inside it(1.5").

What pump did you buy? Just looking at HP is not the whole story. The Whisperflo is a large high flow pump. If you got a smaller pump, your flow rate may be significantly less even with the same HP motor just due to the pump design not the "choke point" which is not really a thing.

The external slip means that that a 2" pipe is exactly the same outer diameter as the fitting and you use a 2" coupler to attach the fitting to the pipe.
Alternatively, a 1.5" pipe will slip directly into the fitting.

Hayward Superpump. I was trying to save some money, but now I'm thinking I should just get the Whisperflo. With the in-floor cleaner and SWG, I'm afraid of losing too much pressure in the system if the Whisperflo is that better of a performer.

EDIT: I just went down the google rabbit hole with this and learned about THP.

The pump is a WF-26(I think now the WFE-26). So I guess it's the uprated model.
1.5 HP
1.1 SF
1.65 THP

This should give me what I need to make a decision, as long as the fitting size doesnt affect the output numbers. The SuperPump I bought is 1.5 HP/1SF, so a THP of 1.5. Is there a huge difference between the Whisperflo 1.65 and SuperPump 1.5?

Also, it looks like the WFE-4 (Full Rated 1HP) and the WFE-26 (UpRated 1.5HP) have the same THP. So, is one more energy efficient than the other?

Those 2 Whisperflo models are identical. Just marketing.

Even if you got a 1.65 THP Superflo, it would move less water than the Whisperflo.

Compare flow rates at a given head loss in the head curves.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.