011018 vs 011028 worth the extra $$$

Tiger275

Gold Supporter
Apr 12, 2015
Knoxville, TN
I see that the 011028 pump is slowly starting to show as in stock on a few websites but it seems that there are still plenty of the 011018 available. The issue is that the 011028 seems to be a consistent $300 more expensive ($1199 $100-200 more expensive ($1099/999 vs 895). Is it worth it? Are there any significant upgrades beyond the rotatable/detachable control unit? What else are we getting for the $$ price difference?

I really need to replace my pump but not sure it is worth waiting for a deal on the 011028.

Last edited:
The 011028 is the newer version of the 011018. It was introduced in 2018 and 011018 will be phased out. Best I can tell there is no difference between the 011018 and 011028 so the changes must be internal to Pentair for them to change the part number. The 011056 is the Intelliflo version with the rotatable screen. The 011028 is definitely not worth 300 bucks more than the 011018.

I read somewhere, that I can't find now, that the old 011018 is no longer being built because Pentair can no longer get the original control head. If you look at the pics of the new 011028 you can see the control head is now the same as the VST or newer pumps with the rotatable control head.. I "assume" that the control head will rotate just like the VST.. Now all we have to do is find someone to try it.. :mrgreen:

Jim R.

• Haha
Reactions: pooldv
I recently went to expo and took the class on the new Intelliflo. The only changes I saw were that the screen could now be removed (yes to be rotated), also to access the under side of the panel. I believe they also removed the anti tamper bolts, although I can't remember if thats new to this model.

Pentair made some design revisions to the drive units. They have also made some design changes to the plastic used in the pump. The Volute on the 011018 did have some challenges. The plastic around the suction side of the pump has been “beefed” up and made to be a lot more durable. They say for less breakage during transit (although i've yet to see a broken one on arrival in this way).

But as far as I could tell the major difference is they changed the button layout and labeling as the old way was less intuitive (admittedly the new layout is much improved).

Is this worth a few hundred bucks? Meh.... In my opinion as long as the parts for the 011018 work for the 011028 (as all those 1018 parts have been discontinued) there's no reason to stop buying the 1018 at the lower price point until they're gone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.