0 pressure reading and pump prime issue

Had an issue firing up the pump yesterday.
Took longer than usual to prime and then it was shooting air out the return in the pool.

Went to the room where the equipment is located and noticed the pressure reading on gauge was 0. Fired up pump... again taking much longer to prime, no reading on gauge at all.
Turned off pump, a load of air passed through and lost prime. Hissing sound coming from filter.
Set valve to back wash, fired up pump, took a while to get going however still no reading on gauge, water did pass through the little glass on filter though. Switched off, and it appeared to hold prime.

Had to leave it there as I was off out.

Questions:
Is there a chance the filter was clogged and the backwash has stirred the dirt and loosened things up a little?
Gauge was swapped out 2 years ago, faulty already?
Have ordered another gauge anyway, although I don't think it is that which is at fault.

Valve - Hayward Vari-Flo 711-13
Filter - Hayward S244T
Pump - Sta-Rite 5P1R

Sounds like your pump is struggling to pull/maintain water flow. I would loook at the following:
- Rule-out any potential suction side leaks. Start with our Suction Side Air Leaks - Trouble Free Pool page.
- Check for obstructions in the suction line(s). If needed, place a garden hose in the pump intake, maybe wrap a rag around it, and push water back towards the pool to ensure water can flow.
- Water level okay?
- Weir door/flap okay at the skimmer?
- Any 3-way valves before the pump opened properly?
- Hissing from the filter? I don't recall if the S244 has a seperate pressure relief valve. If so, check. Otherwise, it may be the mulitport valve. Replacing the gauge was probably a good thing to be safe.

Let us know if any of these items helps.

Just had another look
The hiss noise is coming from the gauge area.

I got the pump going and water flowing however the skimmer weir is moving up and down rapidly struggling to keep up... and I have tiny bubbles on pool return.

If my gauge is faulty and is leaking air, I guess air is escaping (after pump of course), this I guess will cause issues in keeping pressure in the system?
Guess I will just have to wait for new gauge to arrive before ruling the most obvious thing out.

The gauge would have to be hissing a lot of air to have zero pressure reading. But if the gauge itself is bad, then that would certainly explain the false reading.

But the bubbles in the return jets and pump prime issue would be from the suction side. While waiting for the new gauge, I would still look closely for any other potential suction side leaks. They are sneaky buggers since you won't always see water escaping on the suctin side, but air can get pulled-in. Check your pump basket kid O-ring for defects and lubed well, drain plug O-rings, 3-way valve O-rings, and any above-ground joints.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.