Why Anybody Would Build a Pool Here is Beyond Me…

crazycasey

May 12, 2024
Dayton, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello,

My name is Casey, and I am a relatively new (2nd swimming season) pool owner in Dayton, Nevada (about an hour South-East of Lake Tahoe). My wife and I bought a house with a pool…it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Anyway…I’ve been lurking here since a few days after opening my pool this year. I’ve learned a lot, but I’m still having an issue, and I’m just about out of ideas, so I figured I’d better join, so I can ask the community for help.

Hello everybody!

Hey Casey and Welcome !!!

For you existing issues, back out and check out all the sub forums. Post any appropriate questions where they belong and we have folks ready to help around the clock. :)

For squashing future issues before they arise.....

Read up and ask away Pool Care Basics
Purchase Test Kits Compared
Test kit differences explained Here
Download PoolMath
Follow FC/CYA Levels
Witness How Clear is TFP Clear?

Reactions: crazycasey
Hey Casey and Welcome !!!

For you existing issues, back out and check out all the sub forums. Post any appropriate questions where they belong and we have folks ready to help around the clock. :)

For squashing future issues before they arise.....

Read up and ask away Pool Care Basics
Purchase Test Kits Compared
Test kit differences explained Here
Download PoolMath
Follow FC/CYA Levels
Witness How Clear is TFP Clear?
Thank you. I’ve read and am reading it all. I think I’ll have it pegged here in a couple of days; my chemistry is pretty close to being right-on, but my filter cartridge is of unknown age, and I don’t have an operating pressure base line, so I’m hoping the new carts that will be here Tuesday should straighten me the rest of the way out.

There’s really no sense in posting when I have such a large variable looming.

But after the filters, I’ll want to get some feedback on how to achieve those TFP “recommended levels” for my pool, because I’m really close, but having trouble dialing in that last little bit.

Reactions: Newdude
Your chemistry can only be close to TFP if your using one of the recommended kits otherwise it's nothing we can count on. Pool store or test strip results are worthless at best.
Thanks! According to Taylor, the only difference in my 1005 kit and the 2006 kit is a FAS/DPD add-on, and the size of the reagent bottles. So, I’d say if I get the add-on FAS/DPD, I CAN get quite close…until I run out of reagent. And then I’ll buy one of the recommended kits to replace it…

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
The difference between the 1000 and the 2000 series is a different pH comparator block with matching reagents. 1000 uses R0014 vs R0004 of the 2000, both are fine.

5 vs 6 is the missing FAS/DPD which, as you said, you can get standalone. Either from Taylor or from Tftestkits. Once you have that, you should be fine.

Next season get the TF-Pro which comes with the Smart Stir - once you have used that, you can't imagine how you were coping without it.