Which Pentair pump model?

ek1

Oct 27, 2015
New York
I have an existing aboveground pool. Oval shape, 34' L X 18'W, 4'D. (figure 18,300 gallons). I am throwing out most of the existing Hayward automation/equipment setup and replacing it with Pentair. I am planning to install an IntelliCenter with an IntelliChlor 40 SSG. I am planning to keep the existing Hayward H250DN gas heater and a Hayward SwimClear-C3030 filter. The pool has a single skimmer and a single return. Existing pipe diameter is 1.5".

I am trying to determine which variable speed Pentair pump is best for my application.

I read the IntelliFlo Wiki and Pentair's 2023 pump catalog. I am still not clear which exact model I need. According to the Wiki, only IntelliFlo and IntelliPro pumps work with Intellicenter. Still, there are multiple options - Intelliflo vs IntelliPro, diffent models, etc. Furthermore, all the IntelliFlo and Intellipro pumps seem to be rated at 3HP or more, which is probably a lot more than I will ever need for my pool. My wish list is as follows:

• I generally run my pool pump at the absolute lowest speed 24/7 and want the automation system to temporarily increase the pump speed when certain flow rates are required by the SSG or the heater
  • I want the most energy efficient / cheaper to operate pump that is required for my pool size

ek,

In the old days, about the only pumps that you could control with Pentair automation were the IntelliFlo or IntelliPro pumps.

This is no longer true.. We now also have the SuperFlo VS and the new IntelliFlo3, as well as the WhisperFlo VS.

Check out this site which is my go to place for Pool pumps..

To be controlled by Pentair Automation the pump needs to have an RS-485 com port connection.

As a side note, unless your really need all the capabilities of an IntelliCenter, you might want to consider the new IntelliFlo3, which can control a SWCG and has an app to allow for remote control of both the pump and the SWCG.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: HermanTX
Show me where its says that as that is not correct.

Are you confusing the IntelliCenter with the IntelliConnect?
I am not saying it's incorrect. I am saying that according to the Wiki: "The IntelliFlo and IntelliPro pumps are the only VS pump that can be fully controlled by Pentair Automation Systems", which implies all other Pentair pumps (WhisperFlo, etc.) can NOT be fully controlled by Pentair automation. I am not sure what the exact definition of "fully controlled" is (if you know, please let me know), but I want to make sure I plug the pump into the IntelliCenter with a single low voltage serial cable, run the power to the load center and the IntelliCenter can seamlessly control the pump - set different speeds, see the current pump status, display errors, etc. I do NOT want to do acrobatics by wiring different pump speeds to separate relays, etc.

I am NOT confusing IntelliCenter with IntelliConnect. I am specifically looking to install IntelliCenter because I like the fact that IntelliCenter has a load center and I don't need external boxes for IntelliChlor (and a few other things).

So can you recommend a part # for the pump?

Any of the pumps listed in the October 2022 pump lineup can be fully controlled by the IntelliCenter. That wording was accurate until Pentair came out with some of these new models. Take your pick of pumps.

The pumps staying:
  • IntelliFlo3 (011075)
  • IntelliFlo3 With I/O Board (011076)
  • IntelliFlo VS+SVRS (011057)
  • WhisperFloXF VS (022035)
  • WhisperFlo VST (011533)
  • SuperFlo VST (342002)
  • IntelliPro3 (013075)
  • IntelliPro3 With I/O Board (013076)
  • IntelliPro VS+SVRS (013002)
  • Max-E-ProXF VS (023035)
  • SuperMax VS (343001)

Ek,

While Allen's list is correct, I highly suggest that your NEVER, EVER install a pool pump with the SVRS option.. While the IntelliFlo is the Gold standard of pool pumps, the SVRS version of the same pump should be called the 'Brown' version of pool pumps, if you get my drift.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

ek,

In the old days, about the only pumps that you could control with Pentair automation were the IntelliFlo or IntelliPro pumps.

This is no longer true.. We now also have the SuperFlo VS and the new IntelliFlo3, as well as the WhisperFlo VS.

To be controlled by Pentair Automation the pump needs to have an RS-485 com port connection.

As a side note, unless your really need all the capabilities of an IntelliCenter, you might want to consider the new IntelliFlo3, which can control a SWCG and has an app to allow for remote control of both the pump and the SWCG.

Thanks,

Jim R.
So you know for a fact
Any of the pumps listed in the October 2022 pump lineup can be fully controlled by the IntelliCenter. That wording was accurate until Pentair came out with some of these new models. Take your pick of pumps.

The pumps staying:
  • IntelliFlo3 (011075)
  • IntelliFlo3 With I/O Board (011076)
  • IntelliFlo VS+SVRS (011057)
  • WhisperFloXF VS (022035)
  • WhisperFlo VST (011533)
  • SuperFlo VST (342002)
  • IntelliPro3 (013075)
  • IntelliPro3 With I/O Board (013076)
  • IntelliPro VS+SVRS (013002)
  • Max-E-ProXF VS (023035)
  • SuperMax VS (343001)
That's the problem....I don't know which one to pick. I'm hoping someone can recommend one based on my requirements and pool configuration.

Any of the pumps will do for your requirements and pool configuration.

If you want the quietest pump using the least electricity then get the IntelliFlo3.

The Whisperflo or Superflo pumps will do fine.

Compare the prices.

ek,

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim, this is exactly what the problem is. When I look at the Pentair pump page on Polytecpools web site, I see multiple product lines for variable speed pumps- IntelliFlo VS/VSF, WhisperFlo VST, SuperFlo VS/VST. The "proper" way to do it would be to build a giant spreadsheet with columns for every single spec of each pump, populate it with data from spec sheets from every single pump and then start sifting through this data trying to figure out the best fit. I already have a full time job and 2 kids, so I really do not have the time or the energy to spend a day on something like that. I am hoping someone who already has experience with Pentair pumps can simply suggest a model that would be the best match for my pool configuration, I will buy that model, build my system and use my pool happily ever after.

You are over analyzing this choice. You cannot make a bad choice other then with your wallet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I spent some more time looking at pumps and reading specs. It seems like the logical choice is between IntelliFlo3 VSF and SuperFlo VST. My pool is relatively small (~18.4K gallons), has 1.5" piping and is very basic (no water features, etc.), so based on what I read, a 3HP pump would be a huge overkill. At the same time, the 1.5HP IntelliFlo VSF (011065) is not available ANYWHERE.

The price difference between a 3HP IntelliFlo VSF (011075) and a 1.5HP SuperFlo VST (342002) is more than $400 and based on what @ajw22 posted, both IntelliFlo and SuperFlo can be fully controlled by IntelliCenter.

So now my question is - what (if anything) am I going to gain by spending $400+ more on IntelliFlo VSF 3HP (besides being able to run it at slightly lower RPM than SuperFlo VST)? Is the warranty better? Does IntelliFlo last longer? Will it possibly consume less electricity?

Last edited:
I use the SuperFlo VS, no automation for my inground pool, only for skimming and SWCG flow, no suction cleaner any more. It does only give you three unique program pump speed / time settings. There is also a quick clean setting. Very quite at the lower speeds, a bit more noise above 2500rpm but no where near my old WisperFlo 2hp. Good value and well made for the price, my opinion.

I am planning to install a Pentair IntelliCenter (Pentair part # 523623) and use it to control a Pentair SuperFlo VST Variable Speed Pump (Pentair part # 342002).

I am trying to confirm 100% compatibility, because Pentair documentation is vague.

In the installation manual of the pump, it says "These pumps can be controlled from certain Pentair control systems, via an RS-485 signal, when paired with the RS-485 Automation Wiring Kit (P/N 356324Z - Black)". Funny enough, the entire manual does not contain a SINGLE mention of IntelliCenter.

Vice versa, in the IntelliCenter installation manual ONLY IntelliFlo pumps are covered. There is not a SINGLE mention of SuperFlo pumps.

The Wiki for IntelliCenter on this forum states that SuperFlo is "compatible" with IntelliCenter. What does this mean exactly? Does a SuperFlo pump work with IntelliCenter the same exact way IntelliFlo pump does? I want to make sure there are no issues.

I do not want to spend an extra $500 on IntelliFlo unless I have to, because I have a small 18.5K gallon pool (single body of water) with 1.5" piping and no additional features.

I thought this was answered in your other post

Your Superflo VST should work fine with the IntelliCenter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.