What did you do to your pool today?

Well, the leaves are leafing 🍁 🍂 and I intended to put my cover on today & begin the soft closing process but upon unfolding it I noticed several see through areas- too big to put tape 😩
Looks like I’ll have to wait until Thursday when Bezos says my new cover will arrive. I went with the middle grade Robelle in tan this time cuz Amazin has them deals 💰 - lets hope its not sliced through inside the package like the one I ordered last year 🤞
My original one was the lowest grade economy Robelle that came with the pool and it lived 3 winters. Last year I ordered the next step up (green) & it was sliced but after making my return I went to reorder & it had doubled in price so I got this current thin no name brand cheepo for about $69 - which is very cheap for 33’ round. I think I was lucky to get 1 winter out of it.
Cover aside, I packed away the deck cushions, umbrellas, & floats. I also finally removed the old chlormaker swg from the wall & its cords from under the deck.
Also- I decorated for fall 🎃 🦃. That is all!

• Haha
Reactions: JamesW and Newdude
Welp, she’s covered!
IMG_7988.jpeg
When I woke up this morning there were surprisingly very few leaves so I scooped those out & got the bot running, brushed all the crevices, & dumped 2.5 gal of lc in. It was time to deploy the cover before the sky started falling again 🍂 🍁 So I gathered the troops! Took about 10 minutes.
The bot is still running so the rope isn’t completely tight. Gonna throw the leaf net on later.
Still a little shy of slam level but the swcg will make that up soon. Gonna run everything a couple more days then see if the cheesy skimmer plug I bought holds before doing the plumbing & deciding how much to drain.

I waited and waited for Indian summer to hit. I finally gave up and installed the safety cover on the pool. Next weekend, the temperature on Saturday and Sunday is predicted to be 80F. Typical.

I had not been testing frequently. Due to the drop in water temperature the last two weeks, my FC increased to 18.5 ppm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
My wife and I decided to swim every day for as long as we can stand it. 62F today. Water absolutely TFP crystal clear except a leaf now and then. Trees are starting to shed in earnest. We're open all winter. Last Christmas there was a skim of ice one morning after a couple of 8F nights. So we have 30 degrees to go.
We made it to 58F water temp. Next stop, swim in November!
**EDIT** Made it to 55F. Getting pretty fresh.
**EDIT** Made it to 53F on 7 November. Brisk.
PXL_20231021_232157360.NIGHT.jpg
Also, after weeks of tweaky work, finally finished the dreaded pergola project. Parts were rotted. It badly needed a stain job. Came out okay. :cool:
PXL_20230929_204342761.jpg

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yesterday I installed a new actuator for my suction line on an old pool that came with the house we bought. No longer do we have to walk back to the pool equipment to turn on the spa! And also this weekend the leak detection company seems to have the leak that's been causing a continuous drop in CH and CYA. Only major project left is the addition of a heat pump to extend the pool season.

WDrCjeT.jpeg

Thats a wrap on our first full pool season. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to maintain the pool all year, even with having to manually vacuum once a week. TFP was no doubt a large contributor in making my first full year of pool ownership a positive one.

Closing was easy again.
- Pumped down the water below skimmers
- Added 1 gal of 6% bleach to bring FC up to SLAM level
- Blew out the drains, skimmers, and returns with our new Cyclone blower (shout-out @Newdude for the duct tape suggestion, it worked just fine)
- Removed filter cartridges and cleaned for storage
- Removed plugs from pump and filter
- Removed and stored SWG inside
- Installed Safety Cover

It took about 2-3 hours total working mostly by myself, and getting a little help with the cover from my wife.

My only issue at this point is that I am not getting a good seal with my Gizzmo in one of my skimmers. The skimmer structure is too close to where the threaded insert would go that it doesn't tighten down correctly and create a seal. I will probably try to come up with some sort of riser or adapter, or maybe try a different brand of Gizzmo. In the meantime I'll probably just dump a good bit of antifreeze down there for safety.

The skimmer structure is too close to where the threaded insert would go that it doesn't tighten down correctly and create a seal. I will probably try to come up with some sort of riser or adapter, or maybe try a different brand of Gizzmo.
The skimmer is NTP and the Gizzmo is tapered. If it has enough threads grabbing, Teflon tape will make up the difference. If it's hitting the lip before several threads grab, use a Rubber plug or Skimmer/drain plug or Return plug and DIY something crushable like a old jug or pool noodles. If you stuff noodle pieces through the skimmer mouth they hold themselves in place so they don't float

Screenshot_20231023_080637_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: dleonard1122
Replaced the bottom part of Polaris 280 cleaner as the plastic retainer broke and the screw loosened. Not bad for 15 years of use. Took the time to check all the other screws were tight, the tire rubber in pretty good shape - should get me through the winter and the idler wheel was in good shape. It is getting more use now that leaves are falling and laying on bottom of pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support