What did you do to your pool today?

Installed this box load of fun for the first time. When they install the anchors and are off level by just a hair, it makes it a pain to put this in. I don’t think I’ll ever get it out. Ever try to jump on a slanted bar while shimmying poles to slide into a tight fit? It takes about an hour and only moves 1/4 inch at a time. That last 1 inch slides nice though and hearing that thump that it is at the bottom of the anchor is a great feeling.
8252DA3C-DBD7-4B08-BDEF-E822B48C5173.jpeg

After dealing with months of the stupid inline chlorinator having a small drip I finally looked underneath it and noticed the freakin' thing SCREWS ONTO THE TEE. This entire time I thought it was all cemented together, the tee and everything. Boy was I confused. Anyway, I corrected that problem, and I reinstalled the chlorinator in a much better place.

IMG_7343.JPG
IMG_7344.JPG

After dealing with months of the stupid inline chlorinator having a small drip I finally looked underneath it and noticed the freakin' thing SCREWS ONTO THE TEE. This entire time I thought it was all cemented together, the tee and everything. Boy was I confused. Anyway, I corrected that problem, and I reinstalled the chlorinator in a much better place.
Quick question for maybe others to learn as well. Did you use a standard 1 1/2 inch threaded cap (like from HD)?
I did try that with mine but it had a small leak and I even tried to use a oring in there to help seal. I had the Pentair 320 chlorinator. Just curious what you did or maybe show a picture of the parts before you installed it.
I eventually removed the whole tee when I installed the SWCG.

Quick question for maybe others to learn as well. Did you use a standard 1 1/2 inch threaded cap (like from HD)?
I did try that with mine but it had a small leak and I even tried to use a oring in there to help seal. I had the Pentair 320 chlorinator. Just curious what you did or maybe show a picture of the parts before you installed it.
I stumble onto plumbing YouTubes now and then and watch them. I see them using tape and some sort of dope on PVC now (both, together). I started doing that with my metal plumbing connections a while back, even though I used to swear it was only supposed to be one or the other. But I kept getting drips that were then completely cured by using both. And apparently some plumbers are using both for PVC threads as well. I just don't know what kind of dope to use on PVC...

Reactions: HermanTX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I stumble onto plumbing YouTubes now and then and watch them. I see them using tape and some sort of dope on PVC now (both, together). I started doing that with my metal plumbing connections a while back, even though I used to swear it was only supposed to be one or the other. But I kept getting drips that were then completely cured by using both. And apparently some plumbers are using both for PVC threads as well. I just don't know what kind of dope to use on PVC...

Reactions: Dirk
Pool hit 78° and after a couple of hours hitting balls at the range on a hot and humid afternoon, I took the first swim of the year. :paddle: Very refreshing! Given how sweaty I was, I probably need to dial up the SWCG. 🥵

Reactions: Mdragger88

Yep, mine was a normal sched. 40 1.5" threaded cap from Home Depot:

Screenshot 2023-05-13 at 10.46.14.png

I used Oatey Fastape on both the cap and the plug and it worked great.

Apparently you're not supposed to use tape as this can lubricate the joint? But I didn't go gorilla tight on things either.

The more you know. I thought it was to prevent leaks LOL. Is the fear that the tape will allow you to apply so much force that you crack the fitting?

The more you know. I thought it was to prevent leaks

You mean by filling tiny gaps between the threads? It does that, but not very well. If the joint moves after it's been tightened -- like if you back it off a little to realign it -- any tape that's been forced into the gap will loosen and the gap will unseal. Teflon tape's void filling property is way secondary to the lubrication.

Is the fear that the tape will allow you to apply so much force that you crack the fitting?

Yeah. The tightening spec for straight threads (like on most nuts and bolts) is a torque value, but for tapered pipe threads it's a number-of-turns value: For PVC, tapered-thread fittings must be tightened at least one turn, but no more than two turns, beyond finger tight.

If you mistakenly try to tighten to a particular torque value -- turning the fitting until it "feels" tight enough -- any lubrication in the joint will allow you to easily overtighten until the female side of the joint cracks. But even if you're aware of the number-of-turns rule, Teflon tape around the male threads will enlarge them, putting more bursting strain on the joint, and the female fitting may crack even with only two turns past finger tight.

So the best way to assemble a tapered-thread PVC joint is to use a non-setting liquid thread sealant (make sure it's explicitly compatible with PVC) instead of Teflon tape. Put some on the threads, tighten to finger-tight (just to the point where the threads bind up, not hand-tight), then tighten one full turn, then tighten up to one more full turn if necessary to align the fitting.

This page seems to have a lot of good information: lascofittings.com/threads

Last edited:
Decided to tackle the pool deck drains today. 6 deck drain janitors, lots of pressure washing and 9 hours later, they work again. I did check the skimmer while I was out there.

I swear this house's PO must have thought "maintaining your home" meant ignorance is bliss.

Words about pvc and threads

Thank you! I deal with getting torque specs right on cars all the time (and how anti-seizes, lubricants, etc. affect them), but for some reason I just never thought about it when it comes to plumbing. Lots of great info here.

Reactions: Dirk
I spent a large part of today skimming the tiny blossoms of what I think is some kind of cherry tree. It made it look like I was making pasting in my skimmer. Brutal.

If I had known these things were going to dump now I would’ve waited another week to remove the cover. :cautious:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support