What did you do to your pool today?

Me either. However, with a large pool that costs about 1/3 less in SWG lifespan proportionate to Liquid chlorine cost, I can waste half of the production (if it's the case) and still come out on top.
Ah, good point. I didn't extend my "math" to accommodate LC costs, which one would face should they delay SWG startup. You're looking at the cost difference now, and you're right. I guess I was thinking of those wasted hours at the end of life, 5-10 years from now, which may or may not pencil out the same. But we can't know.

More importantly, you're not lugging, and that's priceless! I get it.

Was away for a week and came back to a super high pH… (normally adding 1 cup a day since pool filled March 1). Did 3 rounds of 1 cup at a time to get it down below 8 and then added LC to get back to the high end of target and bumped up the SWG from 10% to 15% as it looks like I was losing about 1 ppm a day now that the pool is warming up and warm sun starting to shine. Finally added CYa for the first time as I’ve lost 10-20 since Mar 1. Aiming at 70 and will retest tomorrow.

Also make sure you don't have a wif..... *cough* family member who puts dead batteries in the battery basket in case anyone wants to try them and make sure they don't work. I thought I was the only one, but somebody else mentioned it the other day so I guess it's a thing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you all for your sincere condolences.

It's been acting weird the last few weeks, you'd turn it on and it'd work for a split second. Hit the button a few times and then it's fine. Today it just turns on for 2-3 seconds and turns back off. New industrial alkalines and new lithiums didn't fix it.

I replaced it with her slightly less attractive sister, Speed Stir. She'll be arriving tomorrow.

Thank you all for your sincere condolences.
They are sincere too. Its funny how people can't understand how valuable it is. All you have to do is watch the video of it being done both ways and ask yourself which way you'd rather test 1000 times. Well........... it's not that bad......... I don't mind........... yadda yadda yadda.

But they see one in action and they're in love.

Reactions: Turbo1Ton
They are sincere too. Its funny how people can't understand how valuable it is. All you have to do is watch the video of it being done both ways and ask yourself which way you'd rather test 1000 times. Well........... it's not that bad......... I don't mind........... yadda yadda yadda.

But they see one in action and they're in love.

If that thing didn't exist I would HATE testing my pool.

As for "What did you do to your neighbors pool today?" - Our neighbor across the street has been living with her elderly parents the last few years taking care of them. It seems her mother is quickly running out of time, though. They've got hospice nurses and everyone else coming by now. Of course, this is when her flaky pool service decides to be, well, flaky. No show and pool is a mess. Polaris 360 not working.

Very basic plaster in-ground, maybe 40 years old. Approx 10k gallons I'd say. 1 skimmer, 4 returns. Old Hayward single speed pump, tiny cartridge filter.

I go over there and quickly test the water. FC is 8, but the CYA is far beyond the measurement of what the TF Pro's CYA test can do without dilution. It's obvious it's well into the 100s. Water is pretty clear, but she says the pool guy has sold her tons of miracle potions to dump in there, so something is suppressing the algae. Didn't bother running any other tests.

Took the Polaris back to my house and ripped it apart. 1 broken belt, one belt super stretched and fell off the cog. Center bearing for the "propshaft" totally busted into pieces with a couple of bearings rolling around the bottom housing. Ran up to Leslie's and let them absolutely rip me off for belts and a bearing. Put it back to together and got it back in the pool. Seemed to be doing a good job of sucking the leaves and debris off the bottom. I offered to come over tomorrow and brush it well if she wanted. Didn't discuss the chemistry situation given all that's going on right now, but I urged her to just text my fiance if she needed anything done to the pool and not to spend any more money with Flaky's Pool Service.

I have a feeling we'll be rescuing that pool come summer.

If that thing didn't exist I would HATE testing my pool.

As for "What did you do to your neighbors pool today?" - Our neighbor across the street has been living with her elderly parents the last few years taking care of them. It seems her mother is quickly running out of time, though. They've got hospice nurses and everyone else coming by now. Of course, this is when her flaky pool service decides to be, well, flaky. No show and pool is a mess. Polaris 360 not working.

Very basic plaster in-ground, maybe 40 years old. Approx 10k gallons I'd say. 1 skimmer, 4 returns. Old Hayward single speed pump, tiny cartridge filter.

I go over there and quickly test the water. FC is 8, but the CYA is far beyond the measurement of what the TF Pro's CYA test can do without dilution. It's obvious it's well into the 100s. Water is pretty clear, but she says the pool guy has sold her tons of miracle potions to dump in there, so something is suppressing the algae. Didn't bother running any other tests.

Took the Polaris back to my house and ripped it apart. 1 broken belt, one belt super stretched and fell off the cog. Center bearing for the "propshaft" totally busted into pieces with a couple of bearings rolling around the bottom housing. Ran up to Leslie's and let them absolutely rip me off for belts and a bearing. Put it back to together and got it back in the pool. Seemed to be doing a good job of sucking the leaves and debris off the bottom. I offered to come over tomorrow and brush it well if she wanted. Didn't discuss the chemistry situation given all that's going on right now, but I urged her to just text my fiance if she needed anything done to the pool and not to spend any more money with Flaky's Pool Service.

I have a feeling we'll be rescuing that pool come summer.
You sir, are a top notch individual. Good on you for assisting.

--Jeff

Reactions: dfwnoob and newdude
Haha well thanks guys, I really appreciate that, though I don't think I'm doing anything special. I just remember what it was like when I was a teenager and my father was near the end. We didn't have many family friends, but the few that we did would lend a hand on stuff around the house and it helped more than they would ever know. I guess I'm just trying to pay it forward.

I replaced it with her slightly less attractive sister, Speed Stir
Hey, don't be shamin' SpeedStir! Everyone is beautiful in their own way!! Plus, there's something to be said for us older models.

Beauty is only skin deep |

I don't think I'm doing anything special.
That is the way the world should work. You're not, by most standards, but people just don't do that anymore. I was going to say the same thing here after reading that.

I am in a brand new subdivision that is almost entirely young tech folks. They won't talk to their neighbors, and certainly don't DIY anything. I had new neighbors on each side of me for a month before I realized the new homes were even occupied. I suspected it, but never saw any activity or lights until them backing out of the garages. I never saw move it. Nice "kids", but not the type. I have befriended both my younger neighbors who have both told me they appreciate and admire me doing stuff myself like lawn work and other stuff they just don't know how. They asked me if they could ask me questions if they needed help, which of course I am fine with. I need neighbors I can trust to help with packages and maybe pool stuff while I'm gone (which is often and my wife often comes with me).

It then occurred to me, I'm the old man in the neighborhood. A cross between Tim-the-toolman-Taylor and Mr. Wilson.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support