Water in pump

MSmiley

Jun 13, 2022
Southeast Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Hi, I'm a new pool owner with a small inground pool. I was given no information about the pool when I bought the house but the pump and filter were working fine. But now I'm getting air bubbles in the pump basket, crackling sound from the multiport area, and bubbles from return jets.

I recently had the pool resurfaced and leak tested. There was a small crack in the skimmer which was repaired, but no other leaks were found. The pump basket lid was removed (I had never removed it before) during the process. Once the pool was filled I filled the pump basket and closed the lid. The pump primed but had vortex of bubbles, which I never had before. And the water drains from the basket overnight. The filter was not making noise at this point.

I did a backwash and rinse. After I moved back to filter I noticed the crackling from the multiport area. I've tried all the suggestions for finding a leak and all joints, valves and gaskets are fine.

When I turn the pump off there's a quarter size bubble remaining, but with the pump on it looks like a lot more air. Should I stop running the filter? I don't want to break the pump. Any suggestions to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the response. Before posting I checked, cleaned and lubed basket gasket and both drain plugs. I checked all joints and valves on suction side for leaks. Suggesting I read Pool Care Basics...I guess I have missed something pretty basic? I've read everything I can think of on this site but I'll keep looking.

Great.What you described is a suction side air leak. Check your pool water level, weir door swings freely, etc.

The water level is good. The weir is closed when pump is off and open when it's on. Should I keep the pump turned off until this is fixed? I have read a ton of articles and viewed videos before having to ask for help.

I would not worry about the handles. Snug the lid on with your hands, then at most give it a light tap with a mallet. Sometimes tightening a lid with an oring gasket under it can deform the gasket and create a leak.

I would not worry about the handles. Snug the lid on with your hands, then at most give it a light tap with a mallet. Sometimes tightening a lid with an oring gasket under it can deform the gasket and create a leak.
I closed the lid just with my hands and unfortunately it didn't make a difference. The pump is a few yards away from the pool and a few feet higher. The resurfacer said I might have trouble due to this but previously there was absolutely no air in the pump basket. When I first restarted after the lid had been removed I used a hose to fill the basket for a couple minutes. There was no air when I closed the lid but when I turned on the pump it looked like water was sucked back toward the pool. Then I get a bit of air that doesn't go away. I'm not sure if that matters at all but wanted to provide as much information as possible.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.