Want to close but I have algae

Sep 25, 2016
Reidsville, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello...NC here! So we just survived Hurricane Florence. This was my first year using TFP methods of maintaining my pool. Everything was going great until the last 2 weeks when algae showed up and then we had a hurricane to deal with. The stores have sold out of the bleach I use. I have 2 gallons left that I wanted to pour in right before we closed it. So I guess what I am saying is I don't want to slam or cannot slam at this point. I'm brushing pool tonight and pouring a gallon of bleach in to get my chlorine back up. My question is...how bad is the algae going to be when we open the pool back up in the spring?

It is advisable to keep the pool open until you can SLAM and the pool water is consistently below 60F. Otherwise you will have a very significant swamp in the spring.

It is advisable to keep the pool open until you can SLAM and the pool water is consistently below 60F. Otherwise you will have a very significant swamp in the spring.

Yikes! Just what I was afraid of!! But good news...found some chlorine at a nearby Lowe's! Hope it's in stock when I go to the store. I won't be able to slam until the weekend. So, should I slam right before I close it or slam and maintain until water temperature lowers??

I would think it best to SLAM when you can and get the water clear. Then maintain it until the water temp lowers. Then close.

Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool

Not all folks in NC close their pools. But I think you are in the northern area so that may weigh on that decision.

Okay! Thank you for the help and information! ��
Yes, we always close ours and cover it for the winter. I wished we could hook our water stove (aka outside woodstove used to heat our house & water) to heat the pool water in the winter ☺

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.