PammyB

Jun 27, 2021
Hudson, Quebec
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I believe I have mustard algae, when I brush the sides or bottom , a cloud of yellowish dust is kicked up, it's been vacuumed but comes back, however the pool is pretty clear , I only noticed due to brushing and then checking if it was still there after vacuuming...
My question is , can we swim today before I go through SLAM + super shock next week to get rid of it?

My question is , can we swim today before I go through SLAM + super shock next week to get rid of it?
You can swim while maintaining the regular SLAM FC level. Once you pass all 3 SLAM criteria and prepare to increase to the Mustard Algae level, you cannot. You want to stay out of the water for that 24 hr MA treatment period.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Can I swim with it a regular FC level (it's around 7 ppm) and then start SLAM tomorrow?

Absolutely! Algae alone is not toxic to you so swim away. Be safe and make sure you can see the bottom.
Before you SLAM, you might consider this possible alternative......
Today, when you swim, boost your FC to double it's normal level. Encourage swimmers to "kick up" the water, even brushing the sides if you can talk them into it.

That extra circulation and chlorine just might make that "dust" go away. If not, then start your SLAM process when you get ready

I believe I have mustard algae, when I brush the sides or bottom , a cloud of yellowish dust is kicked up, it's been vacuumed but comes back, however the pool is pretty clear , I only noticed due to brushing and then checking if it was still there after vacuuming...
Not sure what “super shock” is but it sounds like you may need to read up on the SLAM process? Lots of people think they have mustard algae, but really just have plain boring regular algae. Just because it’s yellow doesn’t mean it’s mustard algae. The solution is just the regular SLAM process, and hold it an extra day if it actually was mustard algae.

Last edited:
Extra day with FC raised to mustard algea level right ( I referred to that part as “super shocking”) ?

I’m thinking it’s mustard algae because it doesn’t cling , it brushes up easily , pool is not green at all - when brushing sides and bottom it kicks up what looks like dusty yellow cloud and reappears the next day after vacuuming it up , kids also swim in a lake then go in pool …

Should the mustard algea be gone ( temporarily) at regular shock levels ? My pool is very clear after raising FC to SLAM level last night - no OFC loss this AM but still yellow dust magically appears if I brush anywhere - if algea is present shouldn’t it be eating up some chlorine? I’m wondering it’s it’s actually pollen ? But then it wouldn’t be on sides of pool right??
Vaccum and keeping SLAMing ??

Pollen would be on other stuff too - patio, cars, deck etc.
pollen often forms a line at the water line.

You don’t proceed to MA slam level until;
✅ CC is 0.5 or lower;
✅ You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND
✅ The water is clear.
(Crystal Clear w/no algae anywhere dead or alive)

*Check & scrub every nook & cranny where algae may hide (light niches, steps, drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, abandoned lines, autofill, overflow drains, etc.)
*If water can go there, algae can thrive there.
*Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day during the SLAM Process.
*Brush brush brush & vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)
*Backwash/clean filter when pressure rises 25%over clean pressure.

Should the mustard algea be gone ( temporarily) at regular shock levels ? My pool is very clear after raising FC to SLAM level last night - no OFC loss this AM but still yellow dust magically appears if I brush anywhere - if algea is present shouldn’t it be eating up some chlorine? I’m wondering it’s it’s actually pollen ? But then it wouldn’t be on sides of pool right??
Vaccum and keeping SLAMing ??
The SLAM process will take some time especially if you have visible algae. It’s not a one day thing, with some bad ones taking a few weeks. Yours doesn’t sound that bad, so keep going.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’ve vacuumed it to waste several times (prior to starting the slam) but it keeps reappearing - I just brushed it all up as I was told to do here , but later on today I was planning to do a vacuum - I just have the regular pool vacuum through the skimmer with the hose

Reactions: Bperry
I’ve vacuumed it to waste several times (prior to starting the slam) but it keeps reappearing - I just brushed it all up as I was told to do here , but later on today I was planning to do a vacuum - I just have the regular pool vacuum through the skimmer with the hose
Keep the vacuum going.

What’s throwing me off is that it looks very clear until you brush , is that typical of algea ? My experience with it up to now was that it turned the water green? And also that it’s not eating up chlorine . I guess it’s just mild at this point and I should stop being confused and just get on with it lol

Attachments

• DF0A2AD0-33D9-4634-A83D-6376E885FA31.jpeg
    DF0A2AD0-33D9-4634-A83D-6376E885FA31.jpeg
    647.4 KB · Views: 11
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.