Under Construction - Tomball, TX

Yep, most of us are. My PB was so glad to be done with me. Good for you sticking to it. I almost lost my temper over the "you're being unreasonable" comment. Really?

And sure we want more pics in here! :) especially when it adjusts to its final color after the first several days or whatever that is. Maybe just a few. Beautiful pool man, and what an ordeal.

I so understand where you are coming from.

Hey at least he has called you back. NOW send an email as a follow up with a read receipt!

Do your self a favor and go online and look up the "real world" cost for both of the pumps and lights. That way you will have a ballpark figure for how much he should up charge you.

Knowledge is a powerful tool and most of them are NOT used to someone that KNOWS what they are talking about. "Oh look at the pretty lights! Thanks!" and move on.

I am happy you have shared your build with us and that things are looking up!

Kim

Thank you all for the positive comments. It's definitely going to end up my way in the end. I made a comment to the Hayward rep regarding pricing. I said something to the effect of my PB doubling the price of his cost on the lights. It was a joking remark but he said no, most PB are making little to nothing on equipment. He said the Internet has become the great equalizer. Savvy consumers are quick to check prices on the Internet for equipment and object to PB markups. He said most make little to anything on equipment because of this. And he's right. I've been quick to check prices on every piece of equipment my PB has quoted me.

My biggest takeaway from this experience has been... Do your homework! Had I don't all this research in the beginning I'd have made sure the part number of every last piece of equipment was in my contract. I'd have also had a complete plumbing diagram in my contract. Of course my PB would have probably told me to find another builder by the time he got me to sign a contract. :).

Aside from the plaster setback and perceived lack of communication my PB has actually been great. Again, I have a hard time faulting him for not knowing some of things on the Hayward equipment. Some of the Hayward reps didn't even know about the light issue had I not talked to this specific Hayward rep yesterday I wouldn't have figured it out myself.

In my conversation yesterday my PB totally understood what I wanted and why and agreed to make it happen. Of course everything isn't finished yet. We'll see in the end how it goes.

He's leaving on vacation for 9 days on Friday. So I'm looking at another lull in progress very shortly.

Wow, what a difference the acid wash makes. Here are some comparisons.

IMG_3987.jpg

IMG_4009.JPG

IMG_3992.JPG

IMG_3995.JPG

IMG_3997.JPG

So acid wash is done and pool is now filling. Anxious to see how water color looks when full. Plaster company poured 3 jugs of this in the pool...

IMG_4010.JPG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yep, same plaster. It went from the baby blue to the dark blue after acid washing. Thank goodness. I thought looked good at first now I think it looks great. Pebbles seem to be stuck in there good. Obviously a few loose ones that will come out with brushing at first I'm sure. But yes, overall they seem to be firmly cemented in there.

On the last pic you can see the difference between the hot tub (not acid washed) and the tanning deck (acid washed).

Yep, big difference. And the abalone shell is really pretty. Definitely adds sparkle. You have a bigger pool than me. Upgrade for me from lvl 1 satin was about $2500. I think it was $2.50 sq ft. Saw another thread somewhere from a guy building himself. He posted the actual cost differences with no builder markup. That thread might help your analysis on reasonable upgrade cost. On iPad but will try to find that thread tomorrow.

And also depends on what lvl you're upgrading to. Of course everything I liked was lvl 5.

Yes. I remember the post and saved the details. I'm currently at a level 3 pebble plaster with the midnight sea selction. The prism matrix deep sea blue is level 5 according to that post.

Clean & plaster - Pebble 3 - $ 8,371 (Satin Matrix Midnight Sea)

Clean & plaster - Pebble 5 - $ 9,872 (Prism Matrix Deep Sea Blue & Indigo Blue)

Have to break his numbers down to a square footage cost. I'd guess the PB's mark up the higher levels more than the lower levels. Deep Sea Blue and Eclipse were the other colors i really liked. Both lvl 5 also. In my opinion it was definitely worth the upgrade for my situation.

- - - Updated - - -

Even if you don't upgrade I'd definitely get the abalone shells with any pebble finish. They really sparkle! Seems like a lot of bang for what they charge for it. Which admittedly still seems like a lot for what it is and how they apply it.

I read another thread where someone paid $350 for them IIRC. Looks like a $20 bag of shells that they scatter on by hand. Took 10 minutes for them to scatter them over the plaster. My 10 year old could have done it. The rest of the process however looks like quite an art.

- - - Updated - - -

Amanda, do you have a build thread going?

I read another thread where someone paid $350 for them IIRC. Looks like a $20 bag of shells that they scatter on by hand. Took 10 minutes for them to scatter them over the plaster. My 10 year old could have done it. The rest of the process however looks like quite an art.

- - - Updated - - -

Amanda, do you have a build thread going?

Here is my thread
Intro and Pool Plan Pics

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.