Transformer for Pool Lighting

eskewj

Jan 10, 2014
Harrisburg, NC
Moved from here.
Any one know if the VOLT transformers are UL rated for Fountain, Swimming Pool, and Spa areas (safe for submersed locations with immersed persons)? My wiring will be within 5 feet of water's edge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both the transformer and luminaries must be “listed” to meet NEC requirements to be within 5 feet of a pool.

I doubt Volt lights meet NEC requirements and I suggest you call them to confirm if they do.

I do not know of any listed luminaries that can be installed close to the pool. Even Pentair landscape lights say:

RISK OF ELECTRIC SHOCK! INSTALL ALL LUMINAIRES TEN (10) Feet (3.05 Meters) OR MORE FROM THE POOL, SPA, OR FOUNTAIN.

I think I've found a way to route the wiring at least 10' from the pool, with some compromises. However, it would still run within 5' of the pump. Does the NEC say anything about this? It follows that the same water running through the pump is "connected" to the pool where current could travel, but wondering if it'd be code compliant nonetheless.

NEC talks about distance from the pool. They don't want anyone in the pool being able to touch the light or wiring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.