pool light landscape transformer

boxer23

May 9, 2023
florida
Hello,
I know that pool rated transformers have safety switchers/breakers within the unit which is different (?) from a landscape transformer. That being said, can a plug in landscape transformer be used for a 5 watt pool light if it is plugged into a GFI outlet? I guess I am asking if the breaker to the outlet plus the GFI outlet equal the protection from a pool specific unit with internal protection.

TY!

Welcome to TFP.

Hello,
I know that pool rated transformers have safety switchers/breakers within the unit which is different (?) from a landscape transformer. That being said, can a plug in landscape transformer be used for a 5 watt pool light if it is plugged into a GFI outlet? I guess I am asking if the breaker to the outlet plus the GFI outlet equal the protection from a pool specific unit with internal protection.

TY!
No, that does not provide the isolation between the high voltage and low voltage required by the NEC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.