Took the dive and got a TF-Pro kit, ready for the FL summer

Jweber42

Apr 1, 2023
Florida
Purchased out first home last summer and have been thoroughly enjoying the pool. The previous owner left a half full bucket of chlorine tabs and the pump has an inline chlorinator. Refilling that with regular trips to Pinch-a-penny for testing has gotten me by since then, but after reading through Pool School I decided to spend the money that would've gone to a fresh bucket of tabs (~$200) on a TF-Pro test kit instead.

Also just purchased a new pleat filter so I can finally see what the pressure runs at with a brand new filter.

Next up on the list is figuring out why the skimmer doesn't seem to suck in all the tiny floating gnats that are constantly floating like a film on the surface. The pool is in a screened porch but those tiny bugs still get in and for some reason they don't get cleaned by the skimmer.

Looking forward to a great summer season though!

Reactions: WendyB5 and LSE08
Welcome to the forum. Best money you'll ever spend on a pool is that test kit. Hang onto those tabs for occassional use on weekend away trips and such. Are you getting enough circulation at the surface to keep those devils moving? Try angling a return up a bit.

Is there a Weir door on your skimmer? And your water level is what on the skimmer?

+1
I did install a new weir door when we moved in but just went to check it and it's stuck. Had no idea (a true noob), I don't know how it got stuck. It has the spring loaded contact points and it moved freely when I installed it but now it's catching on something. Maybe I need to buy a slightly smaller size?

Water level is about a quarter of the way up the weir door

Do you recall which door you bought? How did you pick it?
I don't remember the brand unfortunently, it was from pinch a penny. I measured the size of the opening and got a door that was slightly smaller.
Take a closer look at it please, it needs to move freely.

Water level is ideal for skimming half way up to 60- 65% up.
I attached a picture here. I'm thinking based on this I need to add water

20230401_155945.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tough to see the lower left side but doesn't look right, check it out, the spring tab finger may be shot.

yes you do
I've got the hose in now to fill it up

Yep...should be halfway up the skimmer face opening. Wonder your pump isn't sucking air. I had one that stuck occasionally and sanded the sides of it
I don't think it's sucking air, that has happened before and I could hear it bubbling. I attached a picture of inside the skimmer that I took just now. The hose has only been running for 10-15 minutes

imgonline-com-ua-dexifKJ1681znzDo6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the right side popped out and is too far forward to work properly. The top corner is hitting the wall and not dropping.

Screenshot_20230402_142846_Chrome.jpg