Sep 4, 2022
South Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I just purchased a TF-Pro test kit.

I'm attempting to adjust the PH-009(I)A PH meter.

I added the entire packet of ph6.86 solution powder into 250ml of water at 25°C, and mixed until the powder was fully dissolved.

I then inserted the Pen PH Meter into the mixed solution up to the immersion level. The meter read a PH of 5.5

Using the provided screwdriver, I rotated the adjustment trimmer in both directions. The reading on the meter changes rapidly and randomly while the trimmer is being rotated. When I stop rotating, it returns to 5.5

When removed from the water, it reads a PH of 14, at all other times, the PH is 5.5 and does not change.

Is the meter defective? And should I even be using it, since the kit comes with the TF-Pro view tube and assorted chemicals?

Is the meter defective? And should I even be using it, since the kit comes with the TF-Pro view tube and assorted chemicals?

If you're colorblind, your best move is probably to purchase an $80-100 Apera meter with a case, calibration/storage fluid, etc. Otherwise, yes, I would just use the color-comparator test included with the TF-Pro; it's as fast as the meter you have, and it will be significantly more dependable.

I do not have the meter you have but I do have the Apera PH60 and I can tell you it is much easier to calibrate. It is all digital & comes with the 3 calibrating solutions (no mixing it yourself)…walks you step by step on how to calibrate it digitally for each.

I have the Apera PH60 too... Curious, do you calibrate ONLY the 7 and 10 solution? or do you calibrate the 4 as well?

My PH60 always seems to read higher than both my Taylor and TFP kits for pH. like .2 higher, even with calibration (all 3 levels). I stopped using cause I just feel better using the Taylor kit . The PH60 seems to come down and settle, way too slow for me, and just hasn't left me with a lot of confidence of late.

I have the Apera PH60 too... Curious, do you calibrate ONLY the 7 and 10 solution? or do you calibrate the 4 as well?

My PH60 always seems to read higher than both my Taylor and TFP kits for pH. like .2 higher, even with calibration (all 3 levels). I stopped using cause I just feel better using the Taylor kit . The PH60 seems to come down and settle, way too slow for me, and just hasn't left me with a lot of confidence of late.
I was following the directions in the packaging. I only tried with the 6.8 solution, and did not try with the 4.x solution, as that was for a later step. No 10.x Solution came with the product. I'll probably throw the thing away, it looks like a piece of junk. I could probably make and program better one with an arduino if I really wanted to.

I calibrated with all 3 and mine is .1 higher but consistently, so I figure that in. I ran both for awhile to see how consistent it was. Use the meter on my quick dailies (FC, CC & pH) and use the drops when I run my weekly full tests. I sit the meter in a small beaker of pool water (after swirling to get out air bubbles) at start of testing and then check after done with rest so not just staring at it lol.

Reactions: jesse-99
I also have the Apera PH60. IIRC, the documentation instructions specifically state that if you’re only calibrating with 2 solutions, then use the 7 and 4 solutions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.