cjkinney1981

Aug 26, 2021
Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I finally got a Taylor k-2006 test kit and ready to stop trusting everything the pool store tells me. Not going to lie using it seems intimidating.

Do have a few questions.
1. I use a Hayward in line chlorine feeder. Using 3” Clorox pool chlorine tabs. Are they really that bad for my pool. I just spent $150 on them and bought the feeder last year. Should I scrap both?

2. If I do scrap them what is the easiest way to feed chlorine to my pool on a consistent basis as I work a lot.

I am sure I will have many more questions along the way but those are my 2 big ones right now.

I finally got a Taylor k-2006 test kit and ready to stop trusting everything the pool store tells me. Not going to lie using it seems intimidating.

Do have a few questions.
1. I use a Hayward in line chlorine feeder. Using 3” Clorox pool chlorine tabs. Are they really that bad for my pool. I just spent $150 on them and bought the feeder last year. Should I scrap both?

2. If I do scrap them what is the easiest way to feed chlorine to my pool on a consistent basis as I work a lot.

I am sure I will have many more questions along the way but those are my 2 big ones right now.
HEY!!! Welcome to TFP!!! I'm am PoolStored because I was pool stored too!

Great to have another Ohioan in the forum! I'd say go bucks, be really, GO BLUE!!

I removed my chlorinator. I went to liquid chlorine for a year, it wasn't so bad. Did it by hand daily, then realized I needed to go out of town. So, I got a Stenner pump and tank and plumbed into the return. Used Alexa and smart plug to create a routine so it would auto dose. It worked fine. This year I got an Salt Water Chlorine Generator. I will never go back.

Pucks add CYA (cyanuric acid) to the pool. After using pucks a while, your CYA gets high enough that you cannot get your FC high enough to sanitize the pool. You always want to follow this chart for your CYA level FC/CYA Levels When CYA gets high enought, you will likely get algae, AND have to drain a large portion of your pool, as this is the only way to get it out. This is what happened to me when I got pool stored. $1500 to fix it and all I needed was to SLAM Process.

Pucks are a tool and many of us use them when we have to go on vacation or need to raise our CYA. You don't have to scrap it, it may be useful if you go out of town.

As for question #2, I would recommend a Salt Water Chlorine Generator, or if you want to use Liquid Chlorine, get a chlorinator (HASA is a commercial one), or plumb in a Stenner pump with a tank. I get you a picture.

Black injector at the bottom is where LC goes into T. Blue unit above is SWCG. You don't need both. I left the LC pump and tank in case a) the SWCG fails and I need to revert, or b) I wanted to convert the LC Stenner to Muriatic acid.
image.jpg

Here is stenner installed on an AGP. Search function here will help you a lot.

The test kit is the foundation and a wise investment. Not difficult to use, nothing to be intimidated about. Its bigger than most kits fir a good reason, you will see. Practice testing your fill water for TA, CH and pH. A SpeedStir (magnetic, lighted stirrer) is a smart upgrade. All labs use them for accuracy and precision with titration chemistry.

Read through the instruction for each test and make note that there are two mixing procedures for several tests that alter the resolution, .25ppm vs .5ppm. You can rely on the. 5ppm method for Free Chlorine with 10ml pool water and only one big scoop of the powder only. Remember no pink, no chlorine don't add more powder. You will want to source more CYA reagent so get a pint bottle its low cost, is stable and will last.

I like this reference for the TF-100/K-2006:

Reactions: Oly and PoolStored
I like this reference for the TF-100/K-2006:
This was extremely helpful thank you

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support