Took Pool Cover Off to black water..help

RJPUR

Apr 23, 2023
Saint Louis, Mo
Hello,
I have a couple of questions with some things I need help with. We have an above ground pool that is 6,600 gallons. I have a Hayward 1hp pump and 150lbs sand filter that are brand new I got this year. I was not impressed with the smaller sand filter we got last year when we ordered the pool from the store and I upgraded it. We take the cover off this year and a ton of leaves and water is green/black with a ton of leaves. I hooked up the new filter and I went and bought sand from home Depot. I shocked the heck out of it and let the filter run and it went from black to cloudy teal and I got all the leaves out and vacuumed the bottom without being able to see it. . I have shocked and shocked and shocked, and it is not getting any clearer. Everything on the water parameters is balanced and I will put those results below. I started to think maybe the sand because it just was not getting any clearer and I looked up the review on HD website and it had horrible reviews for the sand i bought saying it made pools green and didn't clean the water. So yesterday I scraped that sand, went to the pool store and bought new sand and had my water tested. They said everything was fine and if it wasn't clear then it has to be the sand. So I installed the new sand, added clarifier and no change today to the water again. Still teal blue. Anyone got any suggestions? I used granular HTH shock. I have the filter running 24/7 it has the water going in a huge whirlpool and I added in 1 gallon of liquid pool shock from the pool store yesterday around 3pm.
TDS: 500
PH: 7.4
FC: 7.5-before adding 1 gallon of liquid shock
TC: 7.5 Same ^
CYA: 125
PHOSPHATE: 100
ALK: 125
CALC HARD: 150

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Your biggest problem right now is the pool store. Their testing is always horrible and their advice not much better. They sold you clarifier that is absolutely worthless in killing algae. All they do is try to make money off of you.

You have two choices right now. You can drain all or most of the water if local water is cheap and start over, or you can follow the TFP SLAM Process that is specifically designed to kill and remove algae. To perform a SLAM Process you need your own "proper" test kit. Either a TF-100 (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C. You should have one of those anyways. There is no substitute for testing your own water.

I would disregard those test results and advice from thr pool store,, order your own test kit, and bookmark our Pool Care Basics page for tons of great info. We can help you through just about any situation.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Your biggest problem right now is the pool store. Their testing is always horrible and their advice not much better. They sold you clarifier that is absolutely worthless in killing algae. All they do is try to make money off of you.

You have two choices right now. You can drain all or most of the water if local water is cheap and start over, or you can follow the TFP SLAM Process that is specifically designed to kill and remove algae. To perform a SLAM Process you need your own "proper" test kit. Either a TF-100 (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C. You should have one of those anyways. There is no substitute for testing your own water.

I would disregard those test results and advice from thr pool store,, order your own test kit, and bookmark our Pool Care Basics page for tons of great info. We can help you through just about any situation.
Thanks for the reply, I had the clarifier already and I do own my own test kit and it matched up to the results that the pool store gave me. The water isnt a huge deal to empty and refill but also slamming might work too.

The water isnt a huge deal to empty and refill but also slamming might work too.
The SLAM Process is used all the time here at TFP, but with today's chlorine prices, some pools its just more economical to dump the water if it can be done so safely. You might also want to update your signature with all of your pool & equipment info and test kit model. See my signature as an example. If you have any other questions let us know.

Reactions: RJPUR and Newdude
Thanks for the reply, I had the clarifier already and I do own my own test kit and it matched up to the results that the pool store gave me. The water isnt a huge deal to empty and refill but also slamming might work too.
The regular test kits you get from the pool store don’t measure chlorine accurately enough to do the SLAM process. If we believed the pool store CYA results you’de need to drain at least 1/2 the water to get your CYA down to 40-50ppm. If CYA is really at 125 then you’d have to maintain your chlorine at a minimum of 9ppm with a normal target of ~16ppm just to keep the current water clean. If you’ve got algae already then it needs to be at SLAM level which is a process TFP describes above to get rid of algae. The clarifier and sand aren’t related to the water issue, except the clarifier can cause problems depending on what’s in it.

But pool stores are really bad at CYA testing though so don’t trust it.

Reactions: RJPUR and Newdude
If you want to SLAM the pool you will need a good test kit. You might have one. Fill in your signature like suggested above so we know what you are working with. Here is a link to the test kits we use and trust: Test Kits Compared

If you decide the SLAM instead of replacing the water know that doing a SLAM is a process. The MOST important part of the SLAM is testing the FC and keep the FC up to SLAM level for your current CYA. This thread has the FC/CYA chart for easy reference: FC vs CYA chart location

Your sand filter can clear the pool. It might take a while as it is doing most of the work once the FC kills the algae. Keep the pump/filter running 24/7 and keep an eye on your filters pressure levels so you can back wash as needed.

I do have to ask.................did you rinse the sand before you turned the pump on to use the sand as a filter? Also make sure to turn the filter to rinse after you do a back wash. I did not know to do this for the longest time.

Share a pic of what the water looks like now so we can see what you are working with.

Thank you,
If you want to SLAM the pool you will need a good test kit. You might have one. Fill in your signature like suggested above so we know what you are working with. Here is a link to the test kits we use and trust: Test Kits Compared

If you decide the SLAM instead of replacing the water know that doing a SLAM is a process. The MOST important part of the SLAM is testing the FC and keep the FC up to SLAM level for your current CYA. This thread has the FC/CYA chart for easy reference: FC vs CYA chart location

Your sand filter can clear the pool. It might take a while as it is doing most of the work once the FC kills the algae. Keep the pump/filter running 24/7 and keep an eye on your filters pressure levels so you can back wash as needed.

I do have to ask.................did you rinse the sand before you turned the pump on to use the sand as a filter? Also make sure to turn the filter to rinse after you do a back wash. I did not know to do this for the longest time.

Share a pic of what the water looks like now so we can see what you are working with.
Hi there!
I will update the signature thank you, I do rise the sand before putting it back into filter. I have had swimming pools all my life and as a kid and I just never had an issue like I do with this one. Will slamming bleach the liner? I am already noticing it is getting bleached from me shocking it with no change. I would have to get a better test kit than the one I have. Here is a picture.

Attachments

• IMG_2353.JPEG
    IMG_2353.JPEG
    322.5 KB · Views: 24
Thank you,

Hi there!
I will update the signature thank you, I do rise the sand before putting it back into filter. I have had swimming pools all my life and as a kid and I just never had an issue like I do with this one. Will slamming bleach the liner? I am already noticing it is getting bleached from me shocking it with no change. I would have to get a better test kit than the one I have. Here is a picture.
The problem with just dumping chlorine in willy-nilly is that bleaching and other damage is possible. Read up on the SLAM process and you won’t have to ever “shock” anything again.

Reactions: RJPUR
What did you use to "shock" the pool? You made good progress judging by the blue tones of your water. Now keep brushing it and running the filter. Back wash the filter when the pressure goes up 10% over clean pressure or your notice a decrease in the return flow.

Get on board with the SLAM and you will get the bad boy clear OR dump and refill the water. It is up to you which way you go.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What did you use to "shock" the pool? You made good progress judging by the blue tones of your water. Now keep brushing it and running the filter. Back wash the filter when the pressure goes up 10% over clean pressure or your notice a decrease in the return flow.

Get on board with the SLAM and you will get the bad boy clear OR dump and refill the water. It is up to you which way you go.
Thanks! I used HTH Pool Shock that comes in a 5lb container and I just shocked the heck out of it everyday. Yesterday I added liquid pool shock from the pool store. I hate to drain it, I have already put so much money into the chemicals into the water to just flush down the drain. I am wondering if I put to much oxidizer in the water that is where the foam is coming from and it has so much foam I had to use defoamer and I wonder if that is where the cloudiness if from.

Last edited:
Thanks! I used HTH Pool Shock that comes in a 5lb container and I just shocked the heck out of it everyday. Yesterday I added liquid pool shock from the pool store. I hate to drain it, I have already put so much money into the chemicals into the water to just flush down the drain.
How much more money are you willing to spend clearing it? It’s a real question.

All that powdered shock just raised your CYA even higher which means you’ll need even more chlorine to clear it up. Liquid chlorine is the only form of chlorine that doesn’t contain extra stuff that builds up over time.

There’s only a couple choices: dump the water and start over or spend some time and money clearing the current water. The ONLY way to lower the super high CYA level is to replace ~50% of the water with fresh. But that’s only if your CYA really is that high and since that’s a pool store test we don’t really know. Since we here want you to be successful, we all recommend not trusting anything they tell you, get a good test kit TFP recommends and go from there.

Reactions: Newdude and kimkats
What you have @RJPUR is "Pool Store Soup". The pool store has had you put this and that in your pool. Things are all out of wack.

We REALLY need to have a true CYA amount. Do you have a Walmart near you? If so look and see if they have this test kit in stock: Never mind! Man that "baby test kit" has gone up a LOT in price. You are much better off going here for a test kit. TF-100 Test Kit
I would add on the SLAM option as you will go through the chlorine test doing the SLAM to get your water clear.

Now if you want to go with the mack daddy of all test kits you can go with the TF-PRO. It comes with the speed stir that is oh so helpful doing the mixing of the test for you. It is listed under "tests".

You can buy a Taylor 2006C if you would like to. Just be VERY careful where you get it from. We have seen some members order from the place that starts with A and getting regents out of date or not stored properly so the tests results came out wrong.

Hey RJ and Welcome !!!!

You've got some SOLID advice above. The folks helping you have done so 100,533 times combined. :shock:

They've seen a few rodeos, to say the least.

They also know what to do with their test kit. If you have the same one, it's like they are standing beside you and can guide you through anything that arises. And amazingly so, I might add. Check this out:
How Clear is TFP Clear?

I hate to drain it, I have already put so much money into the chemicals into the water
Welcome to TFP! I can sympathize with your statement above. I have a question, how much did the free pool water test cost you in buying what the pool store advised you to put into the pool to clear it up? The cost of one of the recommended test kits, is/would have been less expensive. Without reliable test results, from your own recommended kit, you’re in quite the quandary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.