Thoughts on my pool equipment install

A 3-way diverter at the T by the red dot.

A check valve instead of the valve by the green dot.

5AA33BA5-D4DE-4DDD-96A6-FA2B91698CAB.jpeg

I want to make sure I understand.
Looking at the diagram you sent and the picture I've attached, am I understanding correctly?
Isn't there already a check valve in that line. I'm trying to do this right, but I'm completely new at this as I'm sure you can tell. LOL
Thanks!

1678804312290.png

1678804453069.png

I want to make sure I understand.
You're doing AWESOME. Ask at any time. It takes a minute. :)
What do you think about putting in a waste valve to lower the water level after a storm?
My PB gave me one without knowing it was a thing on my 1st pool. It was on the short list of must haves on the 2nd pool. When it comes in handy and you have water height to spare, it REALLY comes in handy. (Providing you have somewhere for the water to go).
I have a sump pump. Is that better? (safer)
When the water is below the skimmer, then you swap to the sump pump, or for those of us up north that fully close. I needed to drain some this last weekend and my pump is in my basement for a winter slumber. So I broke out the sump pump.

Got it... thanks!
So valves E, F & G are unnecessary? Right?

Your check valve is in the wrong place and needs to be moved back on the heater output line.

E, F & G can be replaced by the 3-way valve and the check valve.

What do you think about putting in a waste valve to lower the water level after a storm?

Do have a place you will pipe the drain line to that will not flood your pool pad?

I have a sump pump. Is that better? (safer)

With a sump pump you can drain below your skimmer and direct the water anyplace.

Do have a place you will pipe the drain line to that will not flood your pool pad?

With a sump pump you can drain below your skimmer and direct the water anyplace.
First... THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!! IIaM EXTREMELY GRATEFUL!!!
OK (now that that's out of the way)

Yes, I could drain the water down my driveway fairly easily.
On the plus side... It would be really easy to turn the valve turn on the pump and drain the water.
On the minus side... For some weird reason, I'm worried about draining the water too far and running the pump when dry. I credit this fear with being experienced. I feel like a teenager just learning to drive.
The sump pump is safer but more of a hassle. If my fears are unfounded, I'll buy the valve and have it installed. Make sense?
Seriously, I really appreciate your help. Thank you.

For some weird reason, I'm worried about draining the water too far and running the pump when dry
If using the waste function, you stay near the pad to know if it loses prime right away. I'll get other chores done nearby while waiting, like cleaning the filters. Especially if you're only draining a few inches, it takes longer to go get the sump pump setup than it does to drain with the pool pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On the minus side... For some weird reason, I'm worried about draining the water too far and running the pump when dry.

That is a risk.

You can install the waste drain valve and never use it.

If you don't have the valve you will never have the option of using it.

Last edited:
If using the waste function, you stay near the pad to know if it loses prime right away. I'll get other chores done nearby while waiting, like cleaning the filters. Especially if you're only draining a few inches, it takes longer to go get the sump pump setup than it does to drain with the pool pump.
I would run the waste line behind the equipment around the corner of the house and down the drive.
I'd install the valve at the arrow. Do I need some kind of special valve to accommodate the waste line?
I'm new at this (can you tell?) Thanks!

1678809872836.png

Do I need some kind of special valve to accommodate the waste line?
Jandy never lube or Pentair/Hayward equivalent 3 way valve. You can hard pipe the waste line, or add a threaded fitting and use a 2 inch hose when the time comes if the pipe would be unsightly / in the way.
I need...
3 way at anywhere it's 3 pipes needing splicing, such as the waste line. (Suction, return and waste)

2 way anywhere it's 2 pipes needing splicing. (Be sure to never close the 2 way before the pump unless the pump is off and can't be accidentally turned back on)

Check valve moved to 2 way location at E.

I'd save the money and skip the flow meter. It's easily worked around without it.

Jandy never lube or Pentair/Hayward equivalent 3 way valve. You can hard pipe the waste line, or add a threaded fitting and use a 2 inch hose when the time comes if the pipe would be unsightly / in the way.

3 way at anywhere it's 3 pipes needing splicing, such as the waste line. (Suction, return and waste)

2 way anywhere it's 2 pipes needing splicing. (Be sure to never close the 2 way before the pump unless the pump is off and can't be accidentally turned back on)

Check valve moved to 2 way location at E.

I'd save the money and skip the flow meter. It's easily worked around without it.
Let me make sure I understand.
I need a three-way on the waste line (makes sense)
A three-way to control the flow to the heat pump
Why do I need a three-way on the suction and return lines? Wouldn't a regular valve work there? That's what's on there now, I just wanted to be a much better valve.
Thanks for your help.

Why do I need a three-way on the suction and return lines? Wouldn't a regular valve work there? That's what's on there now, I just wanted to be a much better valve.

One 3-way at a T can do the same as two 2-ways on the individual lines.

It is personal prefernce and I prefer two 2-ways as it makes individual adjustments on each line easier.

Reactions: Newdude
Let me make sure I understand.
I need a three-way on the waste line (makes sense)
A three-way to control the flow to the heat pump
Thanks for your help.

How does the heat pump interact with the pool valves? Well I have to go manually switch valves around for the heat pump to fire or is that handled in the heat pump automatically based on the thermostat? Sorry, this is all new to me and I'm learning as I go. Thank you!

How does the heat pump interact with the pool valves? Well I have to go manually switch valves around for the heat pump to fire or is that handled in the heat pump automatically based on the thermostat? Sorry, this is all new to me and I'm learning as I go. Thank you!
You have no automation to move valves.

You need to manually move the valves for whatever you want your pool/spa/ heater to do.

I'm going to have three or four concrete steps going up to my pool and I'd like to under lite them in some fashion. My current idea is to cap each step with a concrete slab, hang the front of the slab over the front of the riser and mount the lights underneath the overhead. I'd be interested in anybody's ideas about the steps in general but the lights in particular.

I found these on Amazon, anybody use them?

Thanks for your help.

You want high quality lights that will last. Use Volt lights...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.