They dropped my fiberglass pool!!

jmborchers said:
Building permits are ALWAYS required for installations. And it's the homeowners responsibility to get the permits not the builder.
Well, not always... I live in rural Nebraska and so long as you’re not digging a new well and call Digger’s Hotline, there are very few permitting requirements in large areas of the state (you might be able to dig to China). Once you get into the villages and the cities, that changes fairly quickly; however, most of the permits have to do with electrical, plumbing, and build structural components. But I digress from the topic…

Which is a New Pool! YEA! Hopefully this is the worst that can possibly happen and they will be swimming in sparkling blue water in the next few weeks!

Time to order the test kit! :party:

It would be cool to see some pictures of the pool as it goes in...

-wc

Leebo said:
cramar said:
Look at it like this......You buy a brand new Ford Focus from the factory. At the dealership they drive the car into a brick wall. They've got a new Ford Fusion sitting right there....but that car is $5000 more. Is it the dealerships' responsibility to give you that car? You can have a new Focus, but it's going to be a wait.....or you can have the Fusion at a discounted price..
They have to replace the car. They do not have to offer the higher priced car. A dealership that does this might find themselves in for a lawsuit under a claim of fraud for "bait and switch" and the customer might be able to void the entire purchase under a claim of duress. Better to not offer the more expensive car... or if to do so... then at no cost to the customer.

What the PB lost here was "Face" and potentially a whole lot of word-of-mouth advertising! Really, how many people have seen this story here? If XYZ-PB had replaced the pool with an upgrade at no cost, wow, positive message... instead, IMHO, alot of people are wondering how they can avoid this company... I would be.

-wc

Hi, the previous installer made a mistake but it isn't the end of the world and I think it will all work out, just take a bit of time.

It seems the company is indeed stepping up and now have found us another of the same pool, available immediately, so that is great! The gentleman that showed up today with his own crew seems wonderful and very knowledgable and he is waiting on a CRANE. Yeah! I have no complaints with them as of now. The pool company usually uses the gentleman that came today, (not the previous crew) so they feel comfortable about this man doing a good job.

One thought, do you think this second installer crew needs a new permit or would the pool company be the ones who had the permit? I know the pool company girl went to get it but I wonder if it has to be in someone's(installers) name or if it is in the pool companies name?! Hmmm, I think I better call them about that.

I'll let you know how it goes!

As best as I understand it, the permit is in YOUR name, the homeowner. It doesn't matter who is ding the work. I could be you doing the work or 20 different contractors, the permit is for the job.

In your case, the permit is likely to be for the pool, deck, electrical, plumbing, etc for the installation of your pool. In my county, it is a brightly colored folder that is supposed to be displayed on-site. Many times I see them hung on a pole or fence near the work being done.

I just took a look at the online permit applications for building, plumbing, and electrical. These applications specifically request the contractor vitals and their state license for the contractor that will be performing the work.
http://www.ci.fayetteville.nc.us/files.aspx?do=showfolder&id=43&folder=Permits/Applications/Forms

The final signature line is for the “owner/agent” and whoever signs on that line affirms that they will be responsible for ensuring that the code/laws are followed and that all proper inspections are completed.

As I said before… I’d be asking to see the permit.
-wc

(Wetchem)- I did finally get a copy of the permit. It came in the mail and did clearly state that it should be displayed at the work site. They did not do that however but I now have a copy in hand. I think part of the problem was switching the installation crews- the first had all the schematics and took them with them when they left and then the second crew didn't have anything.

***Another important question:
Do you think that the pool should have 4 x 4 wooden posts with hydraulic jacks sitting on the top of each post-supporting the pool? The second crew came out and put in the new pool and then measured and cut these posts and put these little jacks on top to support/level the pool. They left them under there and backfilled on top of them. The posts and jacks remain under my pool sides(coping) area. Is this strange or common? I've never seen it before but the older gentleman who installs pools- he has done it forever- claimed it was a great way and that he always does it.

Hmmm-I'm not sure why but my photos uploaded quite small. I hope you get the picture- no pun intended.

This is the first pool going in using the backhoe despite them dropping the pool out on the blacktop street. Just posting this because we chatted earlier in this post about how and what they used- this was the machine.
photo-2.jpg

The hole-prepared for 13 x 29 fiberglass pool: (notice two pools in the background- one leaving and the other arriving at the site)
IMG_5905.jpg

Another shot of the hole:
IMG_5914.jpg

Jack on 4 x 4 post photo:
IMG_6171.jpg

Pool with some water and some backfill completed:
IMG_6185.jpg

Another shot of one of the jacks on 4 x 4 post:
IMG_6237.jpg

Water delivery: (notice the sand on the right side of the pool is flush with the top of the coping- or very close- it supports the pool wall. The opposite side-(left) is still empty until the inspector comes, it has the pipes and wiring running through it and therefore they are using that yellow ratchet strap to hold the pools shape in place. The pool has been full of water since Friday and seems to be bulging a bit on the left where there is not any soil backfilled in to support it. Last we heard the inspector may not come until later this week. In the mean time- because our pump is 2 cycle they couldn't wire it themselves and an electrician is coming to do it on Monday.
IMG_6349.jpg

Waterways- pump/cartridge filter and sand system. The PB claim they are ok, not what we initially wanted but if they work well, we'll be happy.

Feedback? Advice? Input? Concerns? Please share your thoughts! We value them.
IMG_6359.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
***Another important question: (please refer to the photos)
Do you think that the pool should have those 4 x 4 wooden posts with hydraulic jacks sitting on the top of each post-supporting the pool? The second crew came out and put in the new pool and then measured and cut these posts and put these little jacks on top to support/level the pool. They left them under there and backfilled on top of them. The posts and jacks remain under my pool sides(coping) area. Is this strange or common? I've never seen it before but the older gentleman who installs pools- he has done it forever- claimed it was a great way and that he always does it.

I'd also like to know, is it a big deal to have a smallish spider web looking crack in the fiberglass coping area? It seems superficial and is barley visible but it is there.

I can't help you with the permanent jack question, though my gut doesn't like it since all settling stress would focus first on those 4 jacks putting strain on the pool...but I do not know what I am talking about, hopefully someone who does will chime in. Is the spider crack right where a jack is?

Where I can help is your equipment. Posts the sizes and model numbers and we can comment. The first thing that I saw in your picture was what appears to be an undersized cartridge filter? Just guessing at the undersized part.

I appreciate the ease of using the jacks to level, how did they fill underneath the pool once it was nice and level? Did the get down in the hole and shove sand under the pool manually?

If they didn't fill underneath the pool, then the pool is resting on 4 points at the moment.

How many times did they set, lift out, adjust sand, re-set pool? None? Set, place jacks, level then what? fill with water?

The jacks remained in place and they backfilled over/around them? That sounds strange. I've read that builders will sometimes use jacks on top of 4x4 posts to help level the shell if a low corner needs to be raised a bit (they are definitely supposed to thoroughly wash sand in underneath though), but I've never heard of leaving the jacks in place.

Also, leaving the one side only half backfilled sounds awfully fishy as well. That strap is probably keeping the shell from completely failing, but as you note, it's still going to bulge due to the pressure of the water (with no backfill on the other side equalizing it). Once the inspections are complete, perhaps they plan to partially drain the water so that they can then backfill this area so that there is no bulge.

Did you put a straightedge up against this wall to see how much it's bulging?

--Michael

Personally I wouldn't have any part of it.

Unless you can come back and tell us they set it down, lifted it back up and checked the "footpint" of the pool and made sure the bottom of the pool was coompletely resting on a soild bed of sand, supporting the pool on 4 corners like that is just asking for trouble, and I don't care how many pools he claims to have set like that.

Tell them you want to read the manfacture's install instructions, and if it was not done per their directions I would insist they do it the way the factory states, or pull it out and you will buy from someone else.

From what you have posted so far it sounds to me like you are goning to end up with the same kind of nightmare as the other folks here are having with the pool they just dropped into a hole late at night and now it is cracking and they have a bundle of money tied up in a fiberglass hole in their backyard they can't use.

Did they put some kind jack pad or dunnage between the jack and the pool edge? Seems to me that a small pressure point from a jack could put a huge psi load on that fiberglass and it just doesn't seem right to leave those jacks in place for ever.

Are you sure they aren't taking the jacks out? It wouldn't be hard to dig them up. Hopefully they are just temporary support. I would not want them left if the manufacturer didn't call for them but I know nothing regarding fiberglass pools. It just doesn't sound right. Plus, 4 jacks per pool could get expensive over a year of pool building.

You know what bothers me... if this isn't per the manufacture's installation instructions, wont this void the warranty? Thus, if there is structural failure due to the jacks or because the PB didn't take the time to actually "seat" the pool to the sand the manufacture can get out of any repair costs by showing that the pool was improperly installed.

More than likely, if there is a failure, you'd then have to take the PB to court to get them to fix the pool. Depending on the contract you signed, you may not be able to recover even then as there are ways of wording the contract so that it is the owner's responsibility to ensure proper installation and the owner incurs any and all costs for subsequent repairs or work needed for code enforcement.

I'd at least be getting an install warranty from PB that matches the manufacture's warranty just incase something bad happens... and that spiderweb crack is more that a little worrying for me... those usually only occur from point force and if that is above one of those jacks... it will get worse!

-wc
forgive my spelling... the spell checker is broken today!

I would have someone certified check it before the workers have a chance to put it back. Better yet, have it replaced by them for free. Would want to be worried about it or worse have something happen in the future?

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.