They dropped my fiberglass pool!!

I see no problem with leaving the jacks in place, especially if they backed them off a bit after they got the fill in - aside from being a bit expensive, it is not going to be that big of a deal.

What I do see a problem with is not correctly bedding the pool. As others have said, the pool needs to be properly supported under the ENTIRE bottom. How did they ensure that?

I have heard of contractors using flowable fill - which is low strength concrete. You pump it in and it flows all over the place, leaving no gaps. I can see leveling the pool, using flowable fill 1/3 of the way up, letting it set, and then removing the srew jacks and leaving the 4x4 in place. But the key is having a proper bed under the pool.

-dave

moppymo said:
Thank you ALL so much! I stood my ground and the company owner called and made it right. They will be bringing a new pool, albeit a different shape, here tomorrow and having another crew install it. I am SO relieved. We will have to pay more money however because the other available pool is more expensive. I guess that is the price for peace though. Hopefully they can work with us on that part.

I can't say thank you enough for your encouragement and support. You guys really helped me to stand by what I felt and proceed as necessary! :)

Someday you will be sitting on a floatie having a cold one in your new pool and be thinking," I'm glad they dropped that other pool, I like this one better."

Are we assuming they didn't get the bed correct under the pool? The posts and jacks may have only been used to stabilize so they could fill it before the inspection was complete. With the pool filling, the liner cannot lift up before the inspection. Post inspection, they could back fill (and compact) up to the top of the 4x4, then reach under the lip and release the jack's pressure and pull it out and then complete the back fill and compact process, leaving the 4x4.

It could be better/safer/faster than leaving it all open and unsupported while waiting for the inspector.

Just an idea. I don't know anything about these pools or installation.

phonedave said:
I see no problem with leaving the jacks in place, especially if they backed them off a bit after they got the fill in - aside from being a bit expensive, it is not going to be that big of a deal.

What I do see a problem with is not correctly bedding the pool. As others have said, the pool needs to be properly supported under the ENTIRE bottom. How did they ensure that?

I have heard of contractors using flowable fill - which is low strength concrete. You pump it in and it flows all over the place, leaving no gaps. I can see leveling the pool, using flowable fill 1/3 of the way up, letting it set, and then removing the srew jacks and leaving the 4x4 in place. But the key is having a proper bed under the pool.

-dave
If you back them off a bit then why not remove them? Makes no sense....

Is the spider crack right where a jack is?

Where I can help is your equipment. Posts the sizes and model numbers and we can comment. The first thing that I saw in your picture was what appears to be an undersized cartridge filter? Just guessing at the undersized part.

Hi Linen, The spider crack is not in the location of any of the jacks. They say it is superficial.

Unfortunately I do not have the model info off hand and it is now very dark here. I will check them tomorrow, however I believe you are correct about the cartridge filter size. They took away the one that was out on the pad and brought in a larger one that was supposed to go to the 2 speed pump. We had upgraded to the 2 speed and when they ran the new pump the person that delivered it didn't grab a new filter cartridge to go along with it. I hope they have it correct now. I'll shoot another photo tomorrow and try to post it.

BTW- I'm from MN originally! :-D

Hi harleysilo, mcaswell, Samantha Sabrina, CUTiger78, ouachita, wetchem, 88rxn/a, phonedave, Thinkly, techguy,

Thank you for your responses!
So, let me explain a bit more. Yes, they did use the crane and put it in the hole a few times... just how many? I'm not sure. They did work at it though and developed the footprint area and it wasn't just once. The problem is now because we have a full pool, have had pretty heavy rain, a sandy yard and no inspector in the near future. The local inspectors are on vacation(?) and so we've had a delay with getting the backfill back in on that side of the pool while they wait for it to be checked. In our area, the inspector has to see the entire area where they laid the pipes/wires all the way to the pump area. The rain washed(and will continue to) the sand away and allowed the pool side to bulge. They used that strap to try to prevent the bulging in the likely event that the inspector didn't arrive as quickly as they anticipated. They added additional jacks today to try to bring up that side and emptied more water out of the pool hoping it would make a difference. It may have helped, but just slightly.

I can't be sure about what is between the first jacks and the pool but the ones they installed today have boards below and on top of them to spread the pressure. The ones installed today are temporary and heavier duty. The first four are not, however he did say that they probably are not even touching the pool at this point and over time will most definitely just be sitting under there. They do backfill all around them and the jack just sits under there. They talked about working on a pool they did 10 years ago and when they recently dug out the jack area to fix something else, the jack was sitting there and some board that was on it was deteriorated and rotten. His point was that the jack wasn't doing anything any longer but that he gets them cheap in bulk and uses them on every pool in the beginning during installation- this was in response to me asking about it adding a pressure point to those areas of the coping and pool.

We took a ton of photos today of all that they did to the pool and pump etc. I'll try to get the pix up tomorrow though. It was a very long hot day in NC! OY! They took out a portion of the water and put it in two small blow up type pools to save it for future use. Tomorrow, they will empty the rest of the pool down to the bottom step (and then clean out all the mud) and then try to lift it again and refill it while backfilling it. I assume they plan to have an inspector standing by somehow so they can refill the dirt as they put in new water. The water truck fills it pretty quickly so they need to be ready to go.

On a brighter note, we have power for our pump, filter and lights finally! Now if we could just get the pool itself right, and the water less muddy- it would be fantastic!!

harleysilo said:
phonedave said:

-dave
If you back them off a bit then why not remove them? Makes no sense....

Maybe the guy nails them to the top of the 4x4 so they don't shift.

I have seen many times where a contractor will spend an extra $30 or so to mitigate the risk of $1,000 of rework. Honestly, I agree with you. Tack the screw jack on with some double headed nails. When you have backfill up to a foot from the top of the 4x4, take the screw jack out. I just don't think leaving it in HURTS anything, aside from the wallet

-dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the jacks are not needed they should have removed them. No reason not too. I can see leaving the 4x4's, not the jacks. They would be too easy to remove. He says he does it all the time, do the jacks look new? If not, he is lying. If he does it all the time then they should always be new. Now you have cracks in the coping? Man, this does not sound good. Looking forward to an update. Hope it all got taken care of.

This is the craziest post I've read. I had 5 different reactions throughout. First shock, then anger, then confusion, then amazement, then laughter with the scratch and dent sale comment.

I hope it all works out for you.

moppymo said:
Thank you ALL so much! I stood my ground and the company owner called and made it right. They will be bringing a new pool, albeit a different shape, here tomorrow and having another crew install it. I am SO relieved. We will have to pay more money however because the other available pool is more expensive. I guess that is the price for peace though. Hopefully they can work with us on that part.

I can't say thank you enough for your encouragement and support. You guys really helped me to stand by what I felt and proceed as necessary! :)
Different shape and size? Maybe its the pool they had on hand from the last time they dropped one.

Personally, I think Id have asked the manufacturer if they would be willing to send a rep out to take a look at the pool, and make your final decision. Just make sure the installation company pays for the rep. Fiberglass is pretty strong in those thicknesses. I feel that if its got a stress fracture, it will no all the way though, not hide under the surface waiting to show up years down the road. But hey, get whatever you can out of the deal. They shouldn't have dropped it in the first place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.