They dropped my fiberglass pool!!

I just want to know what idiot decided it would be a good idea to pick up a pool with a bobcat. That would really make me question their ability to install any pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did I miss something here? They tried to unload the first pool from a flat bed truck using a forklift? Aside from the weight limit of the forklift, this as a 13 feet by 29 foot pool IIRC. To the best of my knowledge, fork lift forks are never 13 feet long nor can they adequately support a load that is 29 feet wide.

If this is all correct... Call your lawyer, you've hired idiots and you need to be free of them.

moppymo said:
We will have to pay more money however because the other available pool is more expensive.
IMHO: I wouldn't pay a dime more for the replacement pool. It was their choice to use a more expensive model to replace your pool, not your choice. Their choice to get it installed instead of ordering the correct model for an exact replacement.
If you do decide to pay the "difference" I'd certainly ask for a deeeeep discount.
-wc

[Edit] missed a page when reading this thread... after reading thru the missed page, I'd be calling the BBB about these guys... I'd also want to see the building permits if such are required in your area. This really sounds like either a very unethical bunch or some sort of scam. No-one lifts a very large fiberglass structure from a flatbed using anything except a crane, the torsional stress to the underlying structure will cause micro-fractures throughout the entire object. :shock:
-wc

Ok, I wonder if what I am calling a bobcat isn't in fact a bobcat. It is not a forklift, I know that for certain. It is more of a tractor of sorts. It has brace legs that come down from the sides so they can dig but also a large scoop thing on the opposite side. They claim that it isn't unusual to do it this way at least for a yard with good access and a smallish pool. Hmm. The other installer man who is coming tomorrow is bringing a crane though to lift this one out and put the new one in the hole.

I think we will just go with the first pool, (same style pool as the dropped one but a new one). They will bring it and install it tomorrow. They were not pushing me to get a more expensive pool, just offering me the option of one I had considered- at a deep discount- because they thought they couldn't get another of the original one. However, it turns out that they can get one from their pool yard port on the coast and will bring it over in the morning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On Edit: What they said, lol, see what talking too much gets ya, always late.

What they used is called a backhoe.

Sounds like they are just going to start over with a different builder, and it sounds like he is more experienced, thus using a crane.

I would stay on top of them though, watch and take pictures, video whatever you can and if anything doesn't seem right to you, stop them and question it.

BTW, They should set the pool down, and lift it back out several times to make sure it is properly supported, (this is called checking the footprint), and level.

Here's to hoping the second attempt works out right for you. :cheers:

I'm not sure, they were sitting on the blacktop street and had the trailer parked across the street. Unfortunately they had moved it because of using the dump truck to move the dirt they needed to haul off. Earlier it was on my side and in my yard and when it dropped, it would have been over the sod/sand area and maybe not as hard of a fall. Either way, I'm glad to get a replacement pool though I really hope everything is good with it.

I wish I felt good about all this, I really don't. Although at this point I am not sure if that is possible anyway.

I am going to try to get photos loaded so I can attempt to post them when I get a minute. Thanks for your help and allowing me to bounce all this off of you guys! It really helps and I appreciate the support and encouragement. I'll be SO happy when my husband's flight comes in late tonight and he is home to help with all this pool mess. What an awful time for a work trip! Whew!

Samantha, I read that someplace and I'm glad you shared that info! I'll watch and ask the new guy about it. He seems very very old..... experienced. I liked him today when I met him. Very Grandfatherly. Anyway, he'll get my (polite)two cents worth whether he wants it or not. ;)

I noticed when I walked in the pool tonight that there were many spots where it seemed to have air pockets under it. I'm assuming that when they backfilled it those would have disappeared.

I have a CPC (owned by Viking) very similar in dimensions to yours which I installed myself. They can be lifted, set, and installed with a smaller bucket bobcat if you are careful. In answer to repairing gelcoats, the process is similar regardless of the color of the pool but it would be much easier to match the color of a white gelcoat. Hopefully you will not have to concern yourself with that for many years as they are supposed to last for up to 25 years. And I would not be overly concerned about movement in the floor as you walk in it right now. I remember in mine some areas would bow up a tad and press down as I walked over them before it was filled with water. Having said that, it is imperative that the hole is dug to the recommended slope in the install guide for your model, and that bottom of the pool area is completely flat, and compacted with sand or fine gravel. Make sure it is compacted. It may look level but thousands of gallons of water have a way of pushing sand around. Additionally the hole around the pool needs to be backfilled with sand or gravel. If sand is used they need to wash the sand into all voids as the pool is being filled. The CPC install manual that I got with my pool was pretty thorough on the procedure for dig, install, etc.

pool026.jpg

pool031.jpg

wetchem said:
[Edit] missed a page when reading this thread... after reading thru the missed page, I'd be calling the BBB about these guys... I'd also want to see the building permits if such are required in your area. This really sounds like either a very unethical bunch or some sort of scam. No-one lifts a very large fiberglass structure from a flatbed using anything except a crane, the torsional stress to the underlying structure will cause micro-fractures throughout the entire object. :shock:
-wc

Building permits are rarely not required for installations. And it's the homeowner's responsibility to make sure the builder has pulled permits. If the builder hasn't pulled permits, even if required by the locality, the homeowner can be held liable for illegal work and fined.

Many local governments now require an inspection prior to a property sale; not a property inspection, a gov't inspection. There are a lot of stories I've already heard of the government now finding properties with work done which hadn't had permits issued. These stories coming from Long Island, NY and PA. I know my township made this a requirement last year as well.

If your not sure of something don't let the builder push you past your comfort level, as the purchaser you can stop EVERYTHING whenever you so desire.
If your more comfortable proceeding with your husband there then by all means tell the builder that every single thing is on hold for a couple of days until he is there to help.

If the worse thing that happens is it takes a few days longer to get it done properly, than that's nothing at all.

cramar said:
If your not sure of something don't let the builder push you past your comfort level, as the purchaser you can stop EVERYTHING whenever you so desire.

Yes, but if you do stop everything you maybe liable for any extra costs that occur due to waiting. If you tell the company "I don't want you to do ANYTHING on the property anymore" you also may be liable for payment on any work they've done so far. Can you use the hole they've dug already....yes. Will a new company charge you again some to "Fix" the hole.....I'd guess so. Charging you for an upgraded pool at a discounted price is the norm too. I'm sure they gave you an option of getting the exact same pool, at a wait too. Look at it like this......You buy a brand new Ford Focus from the factory. At the dealership they drive the car into a brick wall. They've got a new Ford Fusion sitting right there....but that car is $5000 more. Is it the dealerships' responsibility to give you that car? You can have a new Focus, but it's going to be a wait.....or you can have the Fusion at a discounted price.

I too would call the manufacture and see what options they would suggest. The installer is running around right now cussing at himself for dropping an expensive item, which he will have to eat. He's freaking out just as much as you are. Bring in a third party, who's calm to help you out.

Before everybody hangs this installer stop to consider that he stepped up and did right. Everybody makes a mistake sometimes. That may have been the only pool he's ever dropped.

I wouldn't be too hard on him based on what little we internet experts know based on one thread (where he did quickly make it right).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.