The husband finally let me take over and I don't want to blow it!!

If you only have that bottle left, you can use it up, but it's not advisable to use dry acids long term. You will build up sulfates in the water which is not good for plaster pools or salt water chlorine generators. That's why TFP recommends using Muriatic acid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its a new, unopened container. I'll buy muriatic acid and use that instead.

Still... 70 degrees in NV? Wow!

Yup, thats another reason I don't go in the water. We started up the heater earlier in the late spring to bring the temp to 80 and our power bill went up by $900 that month!!

- - - Updated - - -

Can you return it or maybe trade it in at the pool store for muriatic acid?

I couldn't find it at the box stores and the pool store was closed (maybe for good) so I got it al Walmart. I can return it, just gotta call around to find it locally or online. Where do you get it?

Hardware stores (Lowes, HomeDepot, Ace) carry it in their paint sections sometimes. Just call them up and ask.

I use a local pool store that sells it cheap in gallon refillable jugs.

Muriatic acid is liquid? There's an Ace around the corner will call in the a.m. Thanks!!

Yes. You want 31.4% Muriatic acid (strongest concentration available). Get some safety glasses though to protect your eyes from possible splash. Always pour upwind because the fumes are quite strong. There's lots of threads on TFP about safe handling of liquid acid. Please read those.

Yes. You want 31.4% Muriatic acid (strongest concentration available). Get some safety glasses though to protect your eyes from possible splash. Always pour upwind because the fumes are quite strong. There's lots of threads on TFP about safe handling of liquid acid. Please read those.

I will!! i remember on a previous post your admonitions regarding the CAREFUL handling of muriatic acid. Thanks for the reminder, clearly nothing to fool around with.

Yup, thats another reason I don't go in the water. We started up the heater earlier in the late spring to bring the temp to 80 and our power bill went up by $900 that month!!

- - - Updated - - -

I couldn't find it at the box stores and the pool store was closed (maybe for good) so I got it al Walmart. I can return it, just gotta call around to find it locally or online. Where do you get it?

Is it an electric induction heater? That's a lot of money for heat. I'm in KY, and my pool is 86 with nothing but sunshine. I guess there's something to be said for humidity. The soup thick air holds heat in better I guess.

Is it an electric induction heater? That's a lot of money for heat. I'm in KY, and my pool is 86 with nothing but sunshine. I guess there's something to be said for humidity. The soup thick air holds heat in better I guess.

Sorry, don't know what an electric induction heater is, neither does TH. Actually let me amend that post, the bill went up $810, from $300 to $1100 with nothing really changing except turning on the pool heater. We were in shock so I called NV Energy and asked if there was a meter error. She said it was probably the pool heater after we went thru a few QandA's. TH was leaving the pool open during the day to use the sun, then covering it and heating at night. Reno is not great "pool country". Its high desert with more cool or cold months than hot, and even during the summer nighttime temps still get pretty cool (50's). I looked back at Accuweather and our temps on April were 50's and 60's in the daytime but the nighttime temps dipped down to 30's and 40's, with some nights into freezing temps.....with no humidity.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh oh, got a new problem (is anyone shocked?)

Last night (7:30 pm) I added the 31.45% muriatic acid, pool math called for 139 oz to get my pH from 7.5 to 6.8 but since I only bought a gallon I added 128 oz. This morning at 6 am the pH was at 6.8 ok, but my TA plunged from 100 to 50! I even retested and got the same result.
Other numbers:
FC went from 6 to 4.5
CC <.5
CH 625 (up from 575)
temp 72F
CSI -0.79 (that doesn't look good from what little I know)

Pool Math says add 426 oz (26.625 pounds?) by weight of baking soda. Should I do that?

Should I add chlorine to bring to 8FC?

Add chlorine to keep your CH level up. Regarding the CSI, what you have done is accidentally begun and acid wash. You shouldn't have targeted a pH below 7.2, but, no panic you aren't that far out of range. Adding borax or soda ash (washing soda) To bring the PH back to the normal range should solve it. PH normal target is between 7.2 and 7.8. I don't know why you were lowering it to 6.8, but once the pH is back in that range the CSI will be back in the safe range.

Add chlorine to keep your CH level up. Regarding the CSI, what you have done is accidentally begun and acid wash. You shouldn't have targeted a pH below 7.2, but, no panic you aren't that far out of range. Adding borax or soda ash (washing soda) To bring the PH back to the normal range should solve it. PH normal target is between 7.2 and 7.8. I don't know why you were lowering it to 6.8, but once the pH is back in that range the CSI will be back in the safe range.

Whew!! Thank you!
Don't know what I was thinking either... Too many #s too many theories too many glasses of wine?
so 26 pounds of borax?

When I enter your numbers into poolmath I get 121 oz of borax = about 7.5 lbs. This will raise your pH to 7.2 and bump up TA by almost 10. CSI should be -.22 which is very good.

oh thank you! I'm at work without my iPad that I have tuned into TFP and all my little tabs and I just looked at my earlier post. Thank you for redoing the numbers for me&#55357;&#56842;.

If it were my pool I'd add one box (4.75lb.) of 20 Mule Team Borax then test again. You don't want to keep bouncing back and forth. And if you do have any scale you want the pH (and CSI) to remain on the low side of the normal range.

I thought you were targeting 6.8 because you wanted to get a little acidy. Trying to lighten up the calcium staining you are still fighting. Maybe I'm get two different threads confused????

Yes, I thought so too, but right now I'm so confused. TA 50 freaked me out. No, you
re not the confused one here.
I thought of bringing the pH on the low side for the scaling but I guess by bringing it to 6.8 it threw the TA totally off. What should I do now? Maybe go with chiefwej's advise and put one box 20 mule team?

So then maybe a few steps back and just enjoy the sparkle? Take a few days and then reset your expectations? Of course, keep up the testing and chlorine and such. But the rest will be good for you and the pool...
I truly wish that you could actually enjoy the pool for it's true purpose, but enjoying the sparkle is fun too. And just think, you did this. Wonder what else you can accomplish. Hmmmm??

So then maybe a few steps back and just enjoy the sparkle? Take a few days and then reset your expectations? Of course, keep up the testing and chlorine and such. But the rest will be good for you and the pool...
I truly wish that you could actually enjoy the pool for it's true purpose, but enjoying the sparkle is fun too. And just think, you did this. Wonder what else you can accomplish. Hmmmm??

Yes, looking at the sparkle is way WAY WAAAY fun!
Thank you so much.

Still,one box 20 mule team? Or nothing for now?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.