Test kits in Canada...and a water question about balancing..

Re: Test kits in Canada...and a water question about balanci

Aren't pool stores great? Since those results are so different, it is hard to know which or what to use, if any.

If you have algae, you will have to go through the shock process. And yes, this can mean no swimming for a couple of weeks.

Oh, and your chlorine is not high, in fact it is low if your CYA is 70. That's why you have algae.

Re: Test kits in Canada

GreatCanadian said:
SUPERcanadian???? had to out-do me hey!! :)

:hammer: DOH...Guess you shoulda been thinkin bigger. :lol:

Not just great but SUPER! Now that's funny right there. :whoot:

Hey Super Canadian, I will only add that you do not need Phosphate remover. If you keep your FC levels properly it negates Phosphate which is food for Algae. Proper Chlorine to CYA ratio kills it. If all the algae is dead...it can't eat the Phosphate. :mrgreen:

Lastly, when Super Duper Canadian signs up here you two can console each other. :lol:

Since I am in Canada and our swim season is so short I'd rather not loose weeks to shocking. People say your suppose to shock weekly from what I've read, would that mean people shock the pool each week, than can't swim for a swim? I must be missing something here.

I really just want to be sure the water is safe for my family!

I read the shock process so feel pretty comfortable doing it. Just not sure I need to do it or not.

In the yellow box at the bottom labeled Suggested Goal Levels, enter troublefreepool.com, vinyl, and bleach. Now as you work up and down the numbers on the left, the far left number is where you enter your test result numbers. On the right you type in where you want to be. Above each of these are your goal ranges. Since you aren't using salt or borates, just leave those at zero.

As I stated on the first post of this page, it's hard to tell you what to do because your two test results were different. I also noted your FC is low.

Awww the water in the brain starts to become clearer....I still think first test results were the most accurate as they used a taylor kit.

OK it is funny that FC defaults to 4 and not the any of the recommended levels. Not sure what my recommend level of FC should be or how much chlorine to add.

According to poolcalculator, "Goal: 5 to 10". So, 10 is your high number, 5 is the absolute minimum.

You can swim up to shock level, which poolcalculator states as 19.

RobbieH said:
According to poolcalculator, "Goal: 5 to 10". So, 10 is your high number, 5 is the absolute minimum.

You can swim up to shock level, which poolcalculator states as 19.

Thanks Robbie.

I guess my confusing comes in that you can swim to shock level, but noted above by someone says it can be weeks before you can swim again after shocking?

To me it looks I just need to stay on top of my chlorine levels which makes sense as I've only added about 2 litres in a week since I stopped using the pucks and worked on reducing my CYA from 100 to the level it is now.

So I am thinking here I just need to add chlorine each night and see how things hold? but what the heck do I know!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Shocking is a process, not a one time addition of a product.
pool-school/shocking_your_pool
The shock process itself can take weeks, and you will not be able to swim at these levels. You also do not want anyone in the water if it is not clear. So, it can be weeks from start to finish, but once you are done with the shock process and can pass all three criteria of the finish of the process, you can swim again after FC drops below shock level.

There's more to the shock process than just adding chlorine once per night. In fact, you probably want to start this on a Saturday, because you'll be adding bleach several times per day, even hourly. At first the FC is going to be consumed very rapidly, and if you do not stay on top of it, you'll never win the battle.

OK starting to make sense now. I understand a bit better that I would have to maintain that level to kill anything in the water.

My guess is as of right now do I need to do that? I mean my water is crystal clear. I can tell what type of screws were used on the floor drain 9ft deep!
I will shock if I need to as I have an 18 month old that goes in daily and want it to be safe for him.

I did notice a couple of times over the past few weeks a few lines of alge or what appears to be so on the seems near the bottom really just a few spots near the seams of the pool about maybe a foot or two in lenght which would make sense if i was not adding chlorine from what I've read. Nothing major or massive amounts.

I really just want to be sure that I am not making a mountain out a mole hill thinking that my water needs a massive overhaul when maybe it just needs more chlorine and more have it added more consistently.

I am trying to work out with a consultant I work with in Chicago to pick me up a test kit and ship it to Canada for me.

Can't say enough thanks here for all your help and insight!

Short answer to one of your questions/comments:

YES, you need to add liquid chlorine everyday (... actually everyday your testing tells you that you need to). THis is true for when you are doing the shock process and doing your daily maintenance.

WOOT :whoot:

I was finally able to order a TF-100 test kit!!!!!! I found out my father inlaw has a post office box in Michigan so I bought and have the kit shipped there. I should have it after his next road trip which will be either this weekend or next! I order a few other items with it (sorry did not fill out my username on the form when paying!)

Can't wait to start my pro testing at home. I've been using the three pool companies that surround me for testing and averaging/guestimating my results from them. Although one I trust as they use a Taylor test kit and do the the test right in front of you. I really really want to know my CYA level the most as I took great lengths to get it down to the average reading I get from them which is 50.

My water is prefect and I only add liquid chlorine so pretty impressed with my early pool skills (first year with the pool). I even thought I had algae as I would get a line of what I thought was growth near a seam at the bottom but it turns out it was just dirt (I have a field behind my house) and other stuff that accumulates in your pool over a few days. I did as must testing without a full test kit as possible and I don't loose chlorine overnight. I am very happy...but even happier now that I will be able to test the water myself! All my levels are in balance according to the results I get from the pool stores.

To order a test kit in Canada (taylor brand) is over 200-300 bucks....ouch so great savings! It is like christmas.....

Can't wait for my kit to arrive and always be sure my water is balanced.

My new Jandy heater has my pool sitting at 88 right now...off for a night swim. I love this forum. :cheers:

Geez! There are a lot of Canucks on here... If there is demand, obviously a distributor will be willing to order the TF-100 kits... There has got to be something that can be done. Isn't this a monopoly to only have one company control the rights to a product? And isn't that illegal?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.