Switching to Salt Water

Don't bother with the floc. They are hit or miss in terms of effectiveness and you'd have to stop circulating the water to let the floc settle. That's the last thing you want to do.

Just stay the course. You'll get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

You got hit HARD with that last storm! It was bad here but had gone down in strength quite a bit as it made it's way East.

Nice that you can see the bottom now! Good progress!

Kim

Yes that storm was crazy! We were fortunate we were not in the tornados path. Did have one about 5 miles from us though. The wind was crazy. I have a bunch of limbs down everywhere and I've been in a training class all week for work and not getting home until dark. So needless to say its been rough. Today I got home early enough to clean the pool instead of just scooping leaves off the top and brushing. I'm hoping the cloudiness is gone by monday. Keeping fingers crossed but I doubt it..lol

Don't bother with the floc. They are hit or miss in terms of effectiveness and you'd have to stop circulating the water to let the floc settle. That's the last thing you want to do.

Just stay the course. You'll get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Yeah I was concerned about stopping the circulation. Thats why I asked first!

Here are the pictures of it today. Its looking a lot better!!
IMG_3389_zpsde29hayt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_3388_zpsggjw7kfo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I did have a question tested my water a little while ago and FC is at 23ppm and CC was at 0. Is that good? And yes I have vacuumed up all that on the bottom and brushed the pool again.

Just keep your FC at shock levels until you get clarity. The test for clarity is simple - flip a quarter in the deep end, if you can call heads or tails while standing up at the edge of the pool, then the water is clear. Until that point is reached, the SLAM carries on.

Great improvement!! I think if you did the DE trick on the next backwash, I bet your water will clear faster.

This is what it looked like this morning.

Before Vacuuming
IMG_3414_zpse9crrfyk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

After Vacuuming
IMG_3415_zpsw4rwrysz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_3416_zps9bk7bzgb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Trying to keep these dang leaves in a pain in the butt!! But the pool is looking a lot better! Still haven't added the DE not sure if I am going to or not at this point.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here's a suggestion for the fiberglass steps - try rubbing the brown spots with a Mr. Clean MagicEraser sponge. It's might help remove some of the staining.

Did the water get a little dull or cloudy when you vacuumed? Kind of looks that way in the second photo. If so, then you should keep brushing to get the water stirred up. I think a little DE in the filter would help but it's not anything urgent. Try it at your leisure.

Here's a suggestion for the fiberglass steps - try rubbing the brown spots with a Mr. Clean MagicEraser sponge. It's might help remove some of the staining.

Did the water get a little dull or cloudy when you vacuumed? Kind of looks that way in the second photo. If so, then you should keep brushing to get the water stirred up. I think a little DE in the filter would help but it's not anything urgent. Try it at your leisure.

Yes the water got cloudy after vacuuming. I think it just stirred up dirt and stuff on bottom. I hope the Mr Clean Magic Eraser works. My steps have never looked like that!! I guess thats what I get for letting it go.......

Yes the water got cloudy after vacuuming. I think it just stirred up dirt and stuff on bottom. I hope the Mr Clean Magic Eraser works. My steps have never looked like that!! I guess thats what I get for letting it go.......

So you might want to try the DE trick and, after adding it, really vacuum and brush your pool to stir up the water. All that "stuff" on the bottom is likely dead algae that's just settling to the bottom. You'll never get rid of it all if the filter can't pull it out. So you're going to need to do some slow and gentle vacuuming to suck up what you can and then give a good brush to mix up the junk into the volume of the water so the filter can work on it.

We'll get those steps looking good again. If the stains are persistent, then we'll try a vitamin C test for metals but we can only do that when your FC gets down to normal.

That storm sure was crazy! I'm right near you in Cantonment. Had to re-screen half my enclosure, fence gate forced open and ripped the pipe for the stake right out of the ground, and a pool full of leaves :( It also pushed my already low salt due to winter laziness over the edge. Seems I got lucky though and what I initially saw as cloudiness was only different light due to the new screens :) I likely had low FC for a day at most and temps still cool.

I love these threads with getting a pool on the TFP track, and this one is even more fun being so close! Without posting addresses in public I'm right near Hwy 29 and Kingsfield. Also, if you ever do just need an extra body to help out with anything shoot me a PM.

In the meantime, you have the best bunch of people helping. Just a forewarning though.... They are so busy doing this that if down the road you ever just give a mostly pointless info post they may jump on you thinking you are going to take some bad action based on it and not realize you're already a TBPer. LOL, Hi Joyfulnoise :) With as much as pool stores rip people off though I can't believe the time the regulars here put in for nothing but a thanks!

Curtis, Could you please add your test kit in your siggy? Seeing Needsmoresun's post reminded me to ask you that. THAT piece of info will be very helpful to us and you in the future.

Your pool is clearing up nicely! Keep up the great work!

kim

That storm sure was crazy! I'm right near you in Cantonment. Had to re-screen half my enclosure, fence gate forced open and ripped the pipe for the stake right out of the ground, and a pool full of leaves :( It also pushed my already low salt due to winter laziness over the edge. Seems I got lucky though and what I initially saw as cloudiness was only different light due to the new screens :) I likely had low FC for a day at most and temps still cool.

I love these threads with getting a pool on the TFP track, and this one is even more fun being so close! Without posting addresses in public I'm right near Hwy 29 and Kingsfield. Also, if you ever do just need an extra body to help out with anything shoot me a PM.

In the meantime, you have the best bunch of people helping. Just a forewarning though.... They are so busy doing this that if down the road you ever just give a mostly pointless info post they may jump on you thinking you are going to take some bad action based on it and not realize you're already a TBPer. LOL, Hi Joyfulnoise :) With as much as pool stores rip people off though I can't believe the time the regulars here put in for nothing but a thanks!

Yes that storm was crazy! We are actually in the Milton area but we got it pretty bad too. Not as bad as Scenic Hwy thought..... I drove through there yesterday and it was a mess.

- - - Updated - - -

Curtis, Could you please add your test kit in your siggy? Seeing Needsmoresun's post reminded me to ask you that. THAT piece of info will be very helpful to us and you in the future.

Your pool is clearing up nicely! Keep up the great work!

kim

I added it to my signature. Thank you for pointing that out. I wouldn't have thought to put it in my signature. Thank you all again for all of you great advice.

My pool is starting to look like a pool again!!!!! Thank you all for the help. Still have a few more days for all the cloudiness to be out but it look 100% better. Here are some pictures.

IMG_3427_zpspcgvqhkq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_3428_zpspnfdgrxs.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Wow. That's really starting to look nice. Let's us know when you pass the SLAM exit criteria -

1. Clear water (use the Quarter test);
2. CCs =0.5ppm or less;
3. OCLT < 1.0ppm

Once you pass all three, then you can let the FC drift down to the appropriate level for your CYA. Let us know if you need help with those stains on the steps or anything else that doesn't seem right.

Best wishes,
Matt

Wow. That's really starting to look nice. Let's us know when you pass the SLAM exit criteria -

1. Clear water (use the Quarter test);
2. CCs =0.5ppm or less;
3. OCLT < 1.0ppm

Once you pass all three, then you can let the FC drift down to the appropriate level for your CYA. Let us know if you need help with those stains on the steps or anything else that doesn't seem right.

Best wishes,
Matt

Thank you again Matt. You all have been so helpful with this. Its still a little cloudy in the deep end so I'm going to wait to do the OCLT test until I can do the quarter test. I know my CCs are below .5 because when I add the drops it doesn't even change color. But its still cloudy. Im going to get a couple magic erasers and try that first.

Thank you again Matt. You all have been so helpful with this. Its still a little cloudy in the deep end so I'm going to wait to do the OCLT test until I can do the quarter test. I know my CCs are below .5 because when I add the drops it doesn't even change color. But its still cloudy. Im going to get a couple magic erasers and try that first.

Good work!!!

Clarity is the first of the criteria to wait for. It makes no sense worrying about CCs or OCLT if the water isn't cleared up. You've done great work on the pool so far, it won't be long now before you're all done and ready for the swim season.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.