Switching to Salt Water

also please keep all of those leaves out. you want chlorine to be killing the stuff you already have not anything new that keeps getting added by the wind.

I've been trying..lol I have a bunch of oak trees in my yard and Its like making a 2 year old sit still keeping them out. I have been using the net 4-5 times a day. We just raked all the leaves up today so hopefully that will help. I need to get a screen enclosure for the pool. lol

Just an update on the pool. Its getting bluer but still has a lot to go..lol I can see my bottom step pretty good!!! Here are some not so much eye candy..lol

IMG_3348.jpg

I was going to post more pictures but it seems I have reached my quota.. I guess I need to figure out how to use another program..lol Ill check the stickies.

You need to setup a photobucket account and post pictures using the IMG code created for every uploaded photo. It's a simple cut & paste of the IMG code into any post to add photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

You need to setup a photobucket account and post pictures using the IMG code created for every uploaded photo. It's a simple cut & paste of the IMG code into any post to add photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Thanks I'm doing that now. This pool is sure taking its time to clear up but its getting there. For some reason it looks a lot greener in the picture than it does in person. I wonder if its because of the low light. But its deff improving.

IMG_3349_zpsbq9amhxh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I wanted to ask if that brown on the step could be from Iron? That is the one thing I did have the pool store test for when I got chlorine and they said there was a little bit in the water but wasn't high enough to worry about.

I wanted to ask if that brown on the step could be from Iron? That is the one thing I did have the pool store test for when I got chlorine and they said there was a little bit in the water but wasn't high enough to worry about.

Hard to say definitively at this point. If it is, we can help you fix it. But right now the primary concern is to get the algae out of your pool. All other issues are of secondary importance.

Yes I agree with focussing on the slam, I was just wondering if that was what it was from. So today the pool is looking better still pretty bad though. I think I still have a while though. The place I get my chlorine is going to think I'm nuts with as much as I have been buying...lol But they are the reason I'm in this mess. Here is a picture of it today.
IMG_3353_zps9759hgq6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Now time to clean the leaves out that got in there last night.

Should I try to add some de to the filter to help it filter the dead algae out quicker? I don't know much about de but my brother suggested it. Any thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is turning to blue for sure! Nice job so far!

You can add DE to your sand filter BUT I would wait a little bit longer as it will take some babysitting and you still have a little ways to go. Here is the link to how to do it:

Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

When you go to do it add it 1/4 cup at a time. Every filter is different. One filter only liked 1/4 a cup before it complained. Mine likes 3/4 cup. Another liked 2 cups so.............better safe....go slow and really watch your pressure and be ready to stop the pump and do a back wash.

Kim

Ok thanks. I still have a few days/ week before the slam is over but it's really cloudy with dead algae. So I'm looking for away to help it quicker. Lol

Okay so long as you understand you have to be there at the very beginning and for a hour or so just to watch the pressure. Once you know it is not going to shoot up you will check on it every 30 mins or so to see what it does. Let the increase in pressure be your guide when you can stop babysitting it.

I would NOT leave it in overnight unless you have a good handle on how fast it is working aka getting the dead algae.

Kim

Okay so long as you understand you have to be there at the very beginning and for a hour or so just to watch the pressure. Once you know it is not going to shoot up you will check on it every 30 mins or so to see what it does. Let the increase in pressure be your guide when you can stop babysitting it.

I would NOT leave it in overnight unless you have a good handle on how fast it is working aka getting the dead algae.

Kim

Thank you for the info. I really think at this point most if not all the algae is dead. The water is just really cloudy. I checked my levels last night before bed and it was 24.5 and I just checked it this morning and it went down to 23. The sun has been up for about 2 and half hours. So I only lost 1.5. I know its supposed to be no more than 1 for the overnight test but I think I'm getting close. Just need the water to clear up. lol But my pool was really bad in the beginning so I know it may take awhile to clear it up.

T The sun has been up for about 2 and half hours. So I only lost 1.5. I know its supposed to be no more than 1 for the overnight test but I think I'm getting close. Just need the water to clear up. lol But my pool was really bad in the beginning so I know it may take awhile to clear it up.
This is always the hardest part, the very end. Just keep up the chlorine level and the brushing.

Kim is correct. if you add DE to the sand filter to speed the clearing you really need to be there to babysit the first few times to get an idea of how quickly it needs a backwash.

DE is typically more useful in the final stages to put a "polish" on the water. If you have very cloudy water, then the DE will certainly improve filtration BUT it will also make the filter clog up faster and increase your backwash frequency. Once you backwash, the DE is gone. So, add it too early in the process and you'll be backwashing your filter a lot.

If the cloudiness doesn't pass for a while, then it might be worth checking the filter to make sure its operating properly. If you have a damaged or cracked lateral, that can easily let dirty water and sand pass through. If the filter medium hasn't been deep cleaned for a while, then channeling in the sand can also be a factor in the performance of the filter.

Keep up the FC though until you can exit the SLAM. Letting it drop while the water is still cloudy is a potential mistake that can prolong the SLAM further.

DE is typically more useful in the final stages to put a "polish" on the water. If you have very cloudy water, then the DE will certainly improve filtration BUT it will also make the filter clog up faster and increase your backwash frequency. Once you backwash, the DE is gone. So, add it too early in the process and you'll be backwashing your filter a lot.

If the cloudiness doesn't pass for a while, then it might be worth checking the filter to make sure its operating properly. If you have a damaged or cracked lateral, that can easily let dirty water and sand pass through. If the filter medium hasn't been deep cleaned for a while, then channeling in the sand can also be a factor in the performance of the filter.

Keep up the FC though until you can exit the SLAM. Letting it drop while the water is still cloudy is a potential mistake that can prolong the SLAM further.

Oh yeah I'm definitely not stopping with the slam with this much invested. Is there an article on how to do a deep clean on the filter? I wouldn't know where to begin. I mean I know how the filter works and how to change the sand. But as far as cleaning it I'm lost. lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.