Switching to Salt Water

Ok I donated to the site. I didn't know you you could! I know as of today you have saved me a lot of money compared to what the pool store would have sold me..lol

Yup.

Most pool owners I know that allow themselves to be "pool stored" every year spend at least $1000 per season on chemicals and pool store junk. If they use a service it costs them about $1000 per year.

I laugh because I spend about $100 or so per season on the pool. I tell my friends about TFP all the time but few, if any, listen.

Thanks for supporting this site!!

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Well just an update on the filter. The sand was like a rock with channels through it. And I tried and tried to get it to break up. It was breaking up but I decided to just go ahead and replace the sand since it was in such bad shape. I just got everything back together and going and my pressure is now running about 12-15 depending on what speed I have the pump at. Before it stayed around 22. So I hope this helps. Going to hold off on the de and see how the new sand works. It really wasn't to bad of a cost setback but would love to have been able to get it cleaned. I know you should never have to replace the sand from what I've been reading but now I know it's clean and new and I can do a deep clean every year on it and know it's not lumped up. Yeah I saw the t-shirts I might have to get me one and wear it in the pools stores. Lol.

Ok. So, as suspected, you had deep channeling. Good to know that. A bit overkill on the sand replacement but I can understand your thinking here. If it were me, I'd just replace the sand too because I'm a bit OCD and have a need to control all variables. Very nice to see the system pressure come down like that!!

Did you inspect the laterals to make sure they were good?? Did you backwash and rinse the sand several times before setting it to filter?

Post some pictures and keep updating us on the filtration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

That would explain your slow progress...........Your sand channeled! You might have been able to break it up and get is working again BUT what is your time and effort worth?

Just so you know "dirty" sand clears better than brand new, clean sand. Weird but true!

Kim

Nice badge! :cheers:

Thank you sir! :cheers:

- - - Updated - - -

Ok. So, as suspected, you had deep channeling. Good to know that. A bit overkill on the sand replacement but I can understand your thinking here. If it were me, I'd just replace the sand too because I'm a bit OCD and have a need to control all variables. Very nice to see the system pressure come down like that!!

Did you inspect the laterals to make sure they were good?? Did you backwash and rinse the sand several times before setting it to filter?

Post some pictures and keep updating us on the filtration.

Yeah I'm the same way with being OCD..lol Yes I backwashed for 2 mins then rinsed for 1min then backwashed for 3 and rinsed for 2 mins. I will tell you that sand was nasty and stunk to high heaven. When I was washing out the filter it was dark dark brown coming out. Yes I inspected the laterals and they looked great. No cracks or anything on them.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the water right now. It doesn't look as blue as it did earlier but could be due to lighting. Just tested chlorine and I'm at 23 ppm. Will test before bed and add if needed.

IMG_3359_zpssxvdanx1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Not sure if you tested this but I bet the water pressure out of your pool returns are a lot better now that the filter is clean. I have high hopes for a better looking pool real soon :)

Here is the water today. I think I might do the overnight test tonight and see where I'm at. Its still cloudy but the water is really blue. Here is a picture.
IMG_3363_zpsgmtm2efw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

FC was at 23ppm when I got home
CC was at .5

When I left this morning my FC was at 24.5 so thats not a bad loss for all day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Strong is the force in this one! Much to learn this Padawan has...

Fear is the path to the dark side of the pool store…fear leads to impatience…impatience leads to despair…despair leads to the pool store....

A Jedi uses the TFP Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack...

Do. Or do not. There is no try....

Strong is the force in this one! Much to learn this Padawan has...

Fear is the path to the dark side of the pool store…fear leads to impatience…impatience leads to despair…despair leads to the pool store....

A Jedi uses the TFP Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack...

Do. Or do not. There is no try....

Yes I have learned a lot! I know my slam is not over but it is exciting to see this pool this blue after yesterday. I can only think it had something to do with the sand filter..lol But it is a nice blue color and hopefully will be cleared up by this weekend and pass the overnight test by this weekend. That would be awesome!! lol

Now that the sand is new and your water is starting to clear faster, you could give the DE a try and see what happens. If there's still too much "debris" in the water and the filter clogs up too fast, then you can simply backwash the filter, flush out the DE and go back to clean sand. Maybe consider doing it next time you have to backwash the filter.

Just a thought. Pool is definitely looking better. Keep up the FC and give it a good brush or two each day.

What's up?? No new posts??

What's up?? No new posts??

Sorry I had a rough couple days. I have been keeping up with the pool though. Here are the pictures for what it looks like today. Looking a lot better!!!

IMG_3366_zpszxnwtajy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_3368_zpsr93djcpg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Its still cloudy but I can actually make the bottom out now and see debris in the deepend which I just got done cleaning. We had some rough weather here in the panhandle the other day and tons of leaves made their way into the pool to include branches... I still haven't tried the DE. Was going to try it on Saturday since I'll be here all weekend. Hopefully not much longer!

Sorry to hear it's been rough. I know how that goes so I hope everyone is ok. Good job keeping up with the pool, your persistence will definitely pay off.

How's the filter pressure doing since you rebooted the sand? Have you had to backwash much?

Nice pics. Definitely a HUGE improvement from the start with the black swamp, eh?!?

Sorry to hear it's been rough. I know how that goes so I hope everyone is ok. Good job keeping up with the pool, your persistence will definitely pay off.

How's the filter pressure doing since you rebooted the sand? Have you had to backwash much?

Nice pics. Definitely a HUGE improvement from the start with the black swamp, eh?!?

The filter is on 12lbs and I've had to backwash once. But its seems to be doing good. I just tested the water and its at 26 ppm and CC was less than .5. I assume thats good for the cc. I think I'm going to try the DE on Sat but haven't decided. Its clearing up just taking awhile to get all the small particles out. Debating on the DE or the Flock. I have Flock but would have to buy DE. I am extremely impressed how good the water looks even though its still cloudy. It seems to have a nice glass look on top I don't remember it looking like that in the past.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.