SwampClean 2015 - opening the pool!

That is a pretty blue! Like Casey said NOW it is all about the filtering.

Have you been brushing the sides and bottom? If not you need to to stir things up. Yeah it will make it cloudy BUT it lets the filter do it's job better.

Keep your FC at SLAM level as much as you can.

Thanks for the pic. It will help you as well as us see it change. Now is when it does not seem to move very fast but with the pics we can see it getting better every day.

Kim

Keep SLAMING the pool though.

Once the pool clears, make sure you feed it daily so this doesn't happen again. Algae blooms aren't fun.

PaulfromCT

I work 40 hrs a week n manage my pool just fine, even without a SWG. You use pucks n not only will You be watching CYA but you'll need to be adjusting your pH too.

- - - Updated - - -

Boy the time stamps are all messed up.

I am a little late to this thread. I use tri-chor in a floater (lowest setting, tied near return) *and* bleach. Just using a floater full of pucks is an easy way to keep your pool chlorinated..but the CYA rise will bite you in the butt and eventually give you a green pool. However, dumping a half gallon of bleach in the pool everyday is not practical unless you are retired. But by combining both methods (and thoroughly testing every few days. With a good test kit (TF-100/Taylor 2000) you can monitor and manipulate the levels and get a comfortable, clear pool. Just keep an eye on the CYA levels and adjust your CL levels according to the CYA Level.

Paul? It is VERY practical to do things the TFP way. I work 40 hours at week at my job with a 25 mile commute each way while maintaining a 6.5 acre ranch and volunteer at my local animal shelter many hours each week.

It does not take me more than 10 mins each day to take care of my pool and some of that is walking out there.

Kim

Well, part of the big battle is it is just me. I do not have help during the day while I am at work and I am away anywhere from 4 hours to 8 hours depending on what is going on on any given day. For example, today I left the house this morning at about 9am with my FC at 19.5 (over shock level with CYA of 40)

I came home at 2:00pm and my FC is at 11. I have no idea how long it has been below shock...and because I am the only one here...I really do not see how I can make sure it stays that way without WAY over dosing the pool (and we have discussed why that isn't a good option, also!)

Anyway, I will post pics in just a sec...but this is SOOOO discouraging! I will keep going though. :)

OK here is YESTERDAYS photo, and TODAYS photo for comparison:

Yesterday:

20150625_144821_zpsgh5g7lpq.jpg

TODAY:

20150626_140217_zpsti8xbgdi.jpg

stars...I just finally saw your thread. Looks like you are battling the same thing I was dealing with as far a cloudy blue water. It came down to my filtration (had 2 broken laterals in my sand filter). One thing I did, though its not fully recommended was add a clarifier to my pool along with DE. Though you have a cartridge filter the de will not help but I think maybe the clarifier can help accumulate the finer particles to be trapped by your filter. I also had my stairs out of the pool while SLAMming. Be sure to brush that frequently. It does seem like a slow process and a PITA BUT once it is all done maintaining FC at sanitizing level is not difficult. Add some bleach before you leave for work and check the levels when you get home and add some more. I've been done with my SLAM for a few days and my maintenance dosage has been pretty much the same.

Also just thought of it...you are running your filter constantly through this process right?

Check out my thread for encouragement and reinforce that this METHOD does work...but like they told me... you need some POP (pool owner patience) PH level before the SLAM

ALSO it speaks of what over chlorinating can do. be sure to add chlorine at a slow and steady rate over your return so it does not sink to the bottom...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like you about have it whipped. Keep at it. My dad is fighting the same thing. Great levels, cloudy water. Algae outbreak. He just kept at it with LC and it ate it up.

I could be way off base here but I have to assume your swamp and cya turning to ammonia is a tough nut to crack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Steve! (That is my Favorite name, by the way!) ;-) thanks for the reply! Yes, I am running my filter non stop. I have been at this since about Jan. 7th (almost a MONTH!!!) <----doesn't that seems VERY excessive?!?! And I am well over 50 GAL. of bleach! I am not sure where my next meal is coming from at this point! Anyone want to buy some empty bleach bottles? I can sell them in bulk! ;-)

Thanks for the imput!

Steve

stars...I just finally saw your thread. Looks like you are battling the same thing I was dealing with as far a cloudy blue water. It came down to my filtration (had 2 broken laterals in my sand filter). One thing I did, though its not fully recommended was add a clarifier to my pool along with DE. Though you have a cartridge filter the de will not help but I think maybe the clarifier can help accumulate the finer particles to be trapped by your filter. I also had my stairs out of the pool while SLAMming. Be sure to brush that frequently. It does seem like a slow process and a PITA BUT once it is all done maintaining FC at sanitizing level is not difficult. Add some bleach before you leave for work and check the levels when you get home and add some more. I've been done with my SLAM for a few days and my maintenance dosage has been pretty much the same.

Also just thought of it...you are running your filter constantly through this process right?

Check out my thread for encouragement and reinforce that this METHOD does work...but like they told me... you need some POP (pool owner patience) PH level before the SLAM

ALSO it speaks of what over chlorinating can do. be sure to add chlorine at a slow and steady rate over your return so it does not sink to the bottom...

Keep the FC levels up... Unless you received 10 inches of rain, there is something still alive in the water using up your FC since, even assuming the maximum allowable overnight FC loss for the test (1 ppm), you still lost an additional 22% of your chlorine. You would have had to received about 10 inches of rain in 52" pool to dilute it that much.

Photos posted yesterday look like you're making great progress. You're getting close!

If you have some sunny days coming up, consider covering the pool while you're at work to reduce chlorine consumption by the sun. Under no circumstance do you want let the FC drop below shock level - you don't want to undo all the progress you've made.

Also, can you test for CC (combined chlorine) today, and post the result? I know it sounds crazy, but test results will give you a better indication of your progress than the water clarity will.

With that said, you ARE making progress. Towards the beginning of this thread, you said that the water was looking blue, but your test results showed 2 ppm FC and 14.5 total chlorine - that would mean that your CC would have been 12.5! That indicated that there were some MAJOR organics in the water in the beginning.

I'd be willing to bet your CC is a quarter of that now if not less. Test for CC and let us know what it is. Ultimately, we need it below .5

Also, provided it doesn't rain, perform another OCLT tonight.

I'm sure you already know this, but to test the CC level, perform your regular FC test at the 10ml mark, add 5 drops of your DPD reagent (sample will turn pink if CC is present), then add your FAS reagent again (same one you use for FC testing) swirling after each drop until it gets clear again. Divide number of drops by two and post.

Thanks!

hello I will be gone for about half the day today but whenever I get back I will check the combined chlorine and post the results. :)

Also, can you test for CC (combined chlorine) today, and post the result? I know it sounds crazy, but test results will give you a better indication of your progress than the water clarity will.

With that said, you ARE making progress. Towards the beginning of this thread, you said that the water was looking blue, but your test results showed 2 ppm FC and 14.5 total chlorine - that would mean that your CC would have been 12.5! That indicated that there were some MAJOR organics in the water in the beginning.

I'd be willing to bet your CC is a quarter of that now if not less. Test for CC and let us know what it is. Ultimately, we need it below .5

Also, provided it doesn't rain, perform another OCLT tonight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.