SwampClean 2015 - opening the pool!

I'd hold off on the clarifier since you already have stuff settled to the bottom and you are using a cartridge filter. go ahead and vacuum that stuff up...SLOWly so you don't stir it up and have to wait for it to settle again.

I used clarifier since I have a sand filter and it was catching all the fine particulates....

LOOKING GOOD BTW :rockon:

We don't recommend clarified Steve. Good ole SLAMing and filtering will get the job done.

Shouldn't need the clarifier with a cartridge filter - especially at this point. Vacuum what settles, and stir up anything else that is left afterward. Oh... And don't forget to retest and adjust your PH, TA, and CYA levels after the water is clear and the FC has drifted down to maintenance level.

You're ready to rock and roll, dude! Enjoy your 4th of July, and have a great summer swimming in your pool... You've earned it!

YAY YAY YAY!!!! DANCING THE VICTORY DANCE AT 5:30am this morning!

My last test last night before I went to bed was at 8:30pm. it was: FC = 16.5 CC = 0

At 5:30 this morning.....test results were.........DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!!! FC = 16 CC = 0 :0)

So.... I can now see the bottom of the pool. I had the bug in it all night. Cleaned the filter....my clean pressure seemed to be running right at 15....still 15 this morning. I wouldn't say the water is crystal clear...there is still some particles I see floating about that has a slight haze on the pool...but I believe that will soon be filtered out. Question...do I need to continue keeping the shock level up until it is COMPLETELY clear...or, since it is clear enough to see the liner....is it time to let it drift back down? While Me and my dad have been getting in the pool with FC at 19+...we obviously have not allowed my two year old nephew to be in the pool and my dad is really wanting to take him in there for a little bit. I am telling him NO...and he isn't understanding why its OK for us to be in there cleaning it, but he can't take his grand baby in there for a little bit. So I was hoping we would be ready to let the FC start drifting back down so we could get him in it a little this weekend....but I don't want to mess up all this hard work either!!! So.....WHAT SAY YOU???

Just know, that at 5:30am....I am partying like it's 1999 over here!!! ;-) Come on...do the Happy Happy Joy Joy dance with me everybody! :)

Thanks,
Steve

WOW! I am dancing with you! NICE! :whoot:

Steve you can let the little one in the water if is just a tiny bit below your FC/CYA SLAM level!

Let your FC get just below SLAM and let him in. He will only be in it for an hour at most before he is tired out. Once he gets out push it back up!

It is a win-win for all.

How clear is clear enough to stop the SLAM? It is clear enough to stop when you can read the heads/tails on a coin.

You have come so far. Lets get to the end.

It might take a little bit longer letting the little swim but it would be worth it!

Kim

It is a win-win for all.

How clear is clear enough to stop the SLAM? It is clear enough to stop when you can read the heads/tails on a coin.

You have come so far. Lets get to the end.

It might take a little bit longer letting the little swim but it would be worth it!

Kim

Hey Kim! I CAN SEE HEADS/TAILS on a coin NOW!!! ;-) it really looks great! This morning there is still some light white dead stuff on the bottom that has settled since I took the bug out and just let the pool start filtering through the skimmer this morning. but aside from seeing that on the bottom...the water is pretty clear right now! The bummer is...its starting to sprinkle and the rain is moving in!!! I am about to have to leave for work...but maybe we will not have as much direct sun on the pool today with the over cast....

I just added 50oz of liquid CYA and 1.5 gal of 8.25% to keep levels up while I am gone today. With the rain, I highly doubt mom will make trips out to the pool to add bleach...so I wanted to bring the numbers up higher while I was away. But it almost feels like I have a NEW POOL all over again!!! ;-)

Steve

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just saw this thread. What a battle. It must feel good to finally see the bottom

Razor! You have no idea! LOL

I really do not even have a real number on how many gal. of bleach I used. I know for sure that I have bought 10 cases (so that is 10x4) of 10% at home depot. Then, I had one day where I bought 10 gal. of great value 8.25% bleach at Walmart....then, I have been buying no less then 4 gal. per day for the last week and a half....so just off the top of my head I can say I have used no less then 90 gal. of bleach! I am SICK of buying and carrying bleach! LOL

I am THIS WEEK ordering the HASA liquidator so hopefully it will help keep me on top of things! ;-)

Thanks,
Steve

Hopefully, I don't ruffle too many feathers here, but I think your SLAM is over, and you should let your FC levels drift down into normal range, so that you can finish balancing the water (and go swimming with the 2 year old). Here's why...

PH is a critical component in determining your calcite saturation index (CSI) which can affect water clarity negatively - the symptoms of it being too high can be cloudy water. During a SLAM, people sometimes get so caught up with the FC and CC levels that they seem to forget that balanced, clear water is the ultimate goal.

As Kim and I stated earlier, you cannot get accurate PH levels when testing at high FC levels. I guess what I'm saying is, you still need to balance the water, and you can't do it with FC levels being that high. Also, while the little guy SHOULD be safe to swim in FC levels less than the SLAM level for you CYA, those levels are based on the science discussed here on the forum - not everyone else in the world agrees. For example, Costa Contra County's health department prohibits swimming in public pools with FC levels over 10ppm even with CYA levels up to 100ppm. I have a two year old and I've never tried to pull off an effective SLAM AND let daughter swim at the same time.

The problem with the third (and often final) test to end a SLAM is that it is subjective. Unlike the OCLT and CC tests, it can be based on opinion. My opinion is that, if you pass the OCLT, your CC level is .5 or under, and you can tell if a coin is face up or face down on the bottom of a 54" pool, you're done. Time to let the FC level drop and balance the water while continuing to filter out the particulates.

Anyway, it's ultimately up to you. If it were me, I'd keep filtering, let the FC level drop, run another panel of tests, verify your CH level and adjust your TA, PH, and CYA levels accordingly.

Either way, I'll think you'll be ok. Just my two cents.

I agree with the clarity being subjective. What I thought was clear when I stopped my SLAM ended up getting clearer a few days after when I had my pH balanced. These are all guidelines and you're not obligated to follow anything even though it's good to follow the guidance ?.

It's you're pool and you can choose to make the judgement call on whether or not to swim. I swam in my pool while not completely clear but soon as we finished I went right back at SLAMming (because mine took almost a month due to a filter issue). But I think getting in the pool splashing around and stirring it up will help the filter do its job. Right now with my clarity I can see little patches if dirt from the other side if my 30' round. So you will always have dirt to vacuum up. But if it's clear to see a coin from outside the pool ..ENJOY THE 4th ?.

Disclaimer** just a newbies opinion ?✌??

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

if I can get all the little trace amounts of white dead stuff that keeps getting stirred up and settling on the bottom...then I will be perfect! Numbers are good today. As per the differing thoughts...I have decided to keep the slam going through today/tonight...and then let the FC start drifting back down tomorrow! I have rounded third and I am half way to home plate!

;-)

Thanks again to EVERYONE who responded to this thread with encouragement and helpful advise. You kept me sane! ;-)

Steve

Congrats Steve! Great job for sticking it out. As far as keeping the SLAM going or letting it go, personally, I'd keep it going til clear. But let it go so the baby can swim. My 2 yr old granddaughter just got used to being in the pool and now when she comes over, she says... Tool! I tell her, That's your pool! She smiles! I let her pick he swim suits.... She loves her little bikini. lol

Anyways, you have dang near successfully completed your SLAM. Make sure you check your parameters daily n dose accordingly to keep algae away. Enjoy your pool today! Happy Ruth of July!

There is no more cloudiness to the pool and I passed the over night test two nights in a row. I kept shock levels through last night but today have started letting the FC come back down.

So today is the first day I let the little guy in the pool. The FC was 13 and we got him in for about 45 minutes.

BUT FIRST......ICE CREAM!!! :)

Screenshot_2015-07-04-17-46-432_zpsqnhnbjco.jpg

Now that we got that out of the way.....time to hit the pool!!! Just look at that BEAUTIFUL blue water!!!! :)

(this is the little guy with his dad (the brother in law!)

Screenshot_2015-07-04-16-52-29.png_zps4leq3ydh.jpeg

HAPPY 4th Y'all!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.