SwampClean 2015 - opening the pool!

Here's my take on above-grounds (have been running a 12,000 gallon one for 10 years).

1. Shock. Use any shock in sufficient qty, CHLORINE only. Calculate to give you at least 10ppm.
2. Vacuum to waste as much as possible.
3. Brush.
4. Shock again.
5. If sand filter, soak the media in liquid bleach overnite.
6. Flock. Use about 3 times recommended amount. Don't forget to raise your pH or it won't work.
7. Vacuum to waste.
8. Swim if really can't wait, it is safe.
9. Balance the water.
10. Keep vacuuming to waste the sediment that will keep falling out every day or so for next 3-4 days.
11. Main thing: in my case algae NEVER came the same year after flocking no matter what I was doing with the water (and I did not run chlorine pool either. Without flocking it did not work well and the algae would return every 2-3 weeks).

Steve, that is awesome about the pool! Enjoy. To the naysayers of my post about using both pucks and bleach (mostly bleach). I live in CT use my pool 3 months a year and replenish enough water each spring that my CYA levels do not get out of whack. Most neighbors around here use *only* pucks and never do water changes and shock all the time (mostly pool store advice). I test their pool and show them that they have a CYA over 150, ph of 6.0 and FC of 22 (ouch). I try to explain the importance of *not* solely using pucks, understanding CYA, all of which I learned from this incredible website. I was just trying to help Steve with what works for me. Some weeks (M-F) I do not even see my pool because of work then having to eat dinner, clean, bathe kids, put kids to sleep and then get some sleep myself---then start the cycle over. The pucks give me a little "time buffer" and since I don't use them exclusively I don't have any problems with high CYA or low pH (I keep a close eye on both).

@PaulfromCT, you really can't take it personally, IMO. I've noticed that a lot of the contributing posters live in NV, FL, TX and CA. Basically, locales where pools can stay open year-round and/or it is impractical to drain/refill. In the Northeast, it is virtually a September requirement.

That said CYA can get awfully high awfully fast. I tested my dad's pool over the 4th of July weekend. His stabilizer was approaching 90 and he started out around 50 in early June (according to a Leslie's print out). All he uses are pucks with the occasional liquid when he has to "shock the pool overnight."

Thanks Chris. I agree, where you live and how long the pool is open has a huge impact on how you maintain the pool. Imagine (dream about) a year round pool ;-) It is amazing how many of my neighborhood
pool owners don't even know what CYA is and just throw 2 pucks in the SKIMMER once a week. I wouldn't know either if I didn't find this forum. I went to the pool store recently to get a free water test to double check my levels. They said my chlorine was too high (Readings FC 6.3, CYA 66) and advised to stop using pucks and bleach to get it to optimal 1-3ppm. I asked if it was necessary to increase FC levels in relation to CYA levels and they said CYA has no impact on what your FC level should be. *WOW* Started to explain how CYA bonds to the CL and the eyes started to roll back. On top of it they advised I add 21lbs of various chemicals that weren't needed. Heed the advice on this forum and take charge of your pool and *never* trust pool stores. That being said, pucks have there place---at least in the North East :)

Thanks Chris. I agree, where you live and how long the pool is open has a huge impact on how you maintain the pool. Imagine (dream about) a year round pool ;-) It is amazing how many of my neighborhood
pool owners don't even know what CYA is and just throw 2 pucks in the SKIMMER once a week. I wouldn't know either if I didn't find this forum. I went to the pool store recently to get a free water test to double check my levels. They said my chlorine was too high (Readings FC 6.3, CYA 66) and advised to stop using pucks and bleach to get it to optimal 1-3ppm. I asked if it was necessary to increase FC levels in relation to CYA levels and they said CYA has no impact on what your FC level should be. *WOW* Started to explain how CYA bonds to the CL and the eyes started to roll back. On top of it they advised I add 21lbs of various chemicals that weren't needed. Heed the advice on this forum and take charge of your pool and *never* trust pool stores. That being said, pucks have there place---at least in the North East :)

oh my goodness!!! but not surprised; it's almost amusing to play around with them

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.