Sunday project: wiring help needed for replacing intermatic timer

I see - are there links I can read that dive into the actual design of a SWG - the modules in it - the components and what each module does?
We don’t go into as much technical detail here as you are looking for.

The basic chemistry for chlorine generation using rare earth plates and electrolysis is the same across all manufacturers..

Pentair, Hayward, Jandy, and take different approaches with their control electronics. Although just about all the models in the USA vary the generation % by turning power to the cell plates on and off.

Australian and European manufacturers vary generation % by varying voltage with constant generation. Some of those models get imported here.

There are also different techniques for flow sensing with flow switches or gas traps.

You have to study the manuals for each device to get insights into their design. None of these are serviceable at the component levels and no maintenance manuals are published.

Last edited:
Is there a way to source the cell plates directly? How much do they cost?

Never seen a vendor selling plates.

And the plates are I think are titanium and would have to be sized for the cell and the cell plates welded together. Not a simple DIY assembly with a screwdriver.

This post said...

Swimming Pool Chlorination - De Nora
I think that most plates are made by DeNora Tech. I don't think that you can buy them but you can inquire. Even if you could buy the plates, trying to replace them would probably be very difficult.

Reactions: plnewb
Fascinating. So the end consumer's way to use these plates are to use the ready made "true union" units (that has all the electronics inside with the cells with the power cable coming out and two unions on each side) and throw them out if the cells or electronics were ever to die (unless the manufacturer honored the warranty, which may or maynot include S&H)?

Fascinating. So the end consumer's way to use these plates are to use the ready made "true union" units (that has all the electronics inside with the cells with the power cable coming out and two unions on each side) and throw them out if the cells or electronics were ever to die (unless the manufacturer honored the warranty, which may or maynot include S&H)?

Depends on the design.

Pentair packages the electronics in the cell and makes the entire package disposable.

Hayward and others use a separate control box for the electronics and the cell only contains the plates.

Advantage of the Pentair design is the consumer gets a complete new system every replacement cycle with less problems over the cells life. With other systems the consumer eventually is left diagnosing problems between the control electronics and the cell. Jandy makes their system even more complicated with a few replaceable modules in their Aquapure SWG and cryptic fault numbers.

Reactions: plnewb
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.